" I have a right not to be infected "..... Um...no... you don't actually have that right....it does not exist.

Right up until you start losing money with that kind of policy and then suddenly, a common cold won't look all that bad, and that 'reasonable' expectations will be out the window.
All humans are walking petri dishes full of contagious germs and bacterium galore. The more we isolate from those things the more virulent they become when they finally catch up to us. We would have done better to allow the virus to do whatever it was going to do and then get to natural immunity instead of tampering with the process.

I believe I could write a book about the combination that is strict parenting/lots of freedom that results in well-balanced, confident children. We lost that in the 90s with the advent of the "self esteem" movement and the helicopter parents and you see the anxious young adults we have now. I started teaching in the mid-90s so feel I had a front row seat for this crapshow

But that's another topic altogether
And a damn good one too

Remember when libs staunchly defended the right of aids infected to infect others. Remind me again what the death rate was if infected

Yeah but that's a SEXUALLY transmitted disease. It's the only freedom liberals care about. In every other area of life they want to hall monitor you to death, right down to telling you how, when and where to put a useless piece of cloth over your mug

Right

Remember when libs staunchly defended the right of aids infected to infect others. Remind me again what the death rate was if infected

This is a perfect example of how low Americans have sunk.. Some of you are so bad mannered and will say anything on the internet.. Lies, conspiracy theories are promoted on a whim.

Yeah but that's a SEXUALLY transmitted disease. It's the only freedom liberals care about. In every other area of life they want to hall monitor you to death, right down to telling you how, when and where to put a useless piece of cloth over your mug

Right

Its also a bald-faced lie and beneath any American.

So then maybe that's how we should deal with possibly infected illegals trying to spread diseases all over the US, with the help of the Biden Administration or course.
Please excuse mudwhistle, he is full of hate and thus incapable of rational discourse.

I go to the market twice a week., wear a mask, wash my hands.. What is your objection? I am also fully vaccinated and, I am also a citizen with some obligation towards my fellow citizens.
Your obligation is to carry your six foot stick. I am not obligated to carry your stick.

The non existent claim of “ right not to be infected “ simply does not exist. I mention this because it has been

Championed by the collectivist society as the spear head of their reasoning to remove everyone else’s choice in the matter. So let’s examine this position offered out by the totalitarian left.

First let me say that I have some sympathy for the position….and I understand the fears and compulsions that lead to that position. However life is not simply a chain of actions and reactions governed by our fears and compulsions…if it was non of us would live past our first few decades and we certainly would have no form of functioning society.

To illustrate let’s take a common activity….. Driving for instance. We all have a right to be safe on the road but non of us ever truly are. There is always a common risk when you get behind the wheel and drive someplace. The common risk is accepted as the necessary entropy so to speak required to allow the activity to exist which everyone does agree is an important function. Continuous and progressive applications of risk aversion elements in this particular life function would quickly and permanently eliminate the possibility of driving anywhere at any time for anything using any kind of vehicle. You can see immediately where the problem lies here. So the right to be safe on the road does not translate into the absolute value of the function (in this case driving) to the point where it eliminates the function altogether and in a sense that right is only an inferred right. It does not actually exist.

Let’s repeat that once more for emphasis…. It does not actually exist ….. you more or less give it up when you agree to get a driver’s license and purchase vehicle insurance for your car. You are paying to be involved in that risk so that you can benefit from the transportation that you would suffer without otherwise. It’s an unavoidable trade off.

Similarly with human society….we are agreeing to the risks of living in an organized culture so that we can benefit from the group effort that builds cities, highways, food stores, pharmacies, police and fire systems and so forth. As with any activity, driving included…..there are common risks that cannot be eliminated without eliminating the entire system. Contagion is one of them. “The right not to be infected “ is an impossible right to enforce on any reasonable level. It’s a reverse right, a misnomer…..and is in fact not a right at all. It does not exist.

If that were the case we would have to make the common cold illegal. While nothing prevents our adventurous legislators from trying that….they might as well legislate against the next eclipse for all the good such a law would do them. The perception that another person who is unvaccinated is violating our rights is a dead end. It has no measureable parameters and is inseparably integrated into the set of rules that we agree to vicariously when we consciously decide to be a member of society rather than to live on the outskirts of civilization in a cave someplace chasing down small rodents for protein.

This happened during a heated discussion with some fellow employees …. Spontaneously….. “ I have a right not to be infected “….was the statement made to me….. My response was: “ There is no such right because it’s not actually a right“….. end of story.

JO
Outside of our own minds, rights exist precisely to the extent that we enforce them. They only have as much substance as we grant them. And if we collectively decide this one should be enforced to one degree or another, then we grant it substance. Which would annoy people who are on the wrong side of ethics, morality, history, science, etc. How frustrating for them. But that's their fking problem.

Why in hell would I carry a stick? Are you a lunatic? Have we left all civility behind in the Trump age?
You carry your six foot stick so you can poke anybody who gets too close. That is the only right you have vis-a-vis infectiousness of any organism.

Forum List

Back