I Have A Question. Answers are not Mandated. I am a Republican.

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
They are drilling holes to vent the dangerous methane gas out of that mine.. Why now? Why didn't they vent them in the first place and avoid the explosion?

They ventilate by other means during normal operations, but that option isn't available after an explosion and possible cave in. I'm sure they are taking the shortest road.

They are drilling holes to vent the dangerous methane gas out of that mine.. Why now? Why didn't they vent them in the first place and avoid the explosion?

WE will no doubt never know for sure. *Tears* for the families and the dead.

Methane comes out of the ground in coal mines.
The mine was cited for insufficient ventilation on 3-30....

Of course you are a republican. Like anynoe on here could not tell that ;)

Last edited:

What does venting the mine have anything to do with you being a republican?

I think it has more to do with the fact that you are a whore.

That's a very good question, Willow. If the workers had been unionized, the collective bargaining agreement would have allowed the workers to categorically refuse to work in an unsafe area without being in fear of losing their jobs. I know a bit about the coal and area history of this conflict in VA, KY, WV, TN, and NC. Massey, Peabody, and other coal companies have massively resisted unionization, yet have failed to address such safety conditions.

My heart is with the miners' families.

Why didn't they vent them in the first place and avoid the explosion?
Profit.
The same reason mines routinely appeal all safety violations to avoid shutdown for safety issues.

you love me don't ya? I assume you do.. did you take care of go to hell? he has a question he needs answering,, he's too lazy to read..

That's a very good question, Willow. If the workers had been unionized, the collective bargaining agreement would have allowed the workers to categorically refuse to work in an unsafe area without being in fear of losing their jobs. I know a bit about the coal and area history of this conflict in VA, KY, WV, TN, and NC. Massey, Peabody, and other coal companies have massively resisted unionization, yet have failed to address such safety conditions.

Oh my,, somebody has been watching mr. ed. Why can't they refuse to work in an unsafe mine without the union?

Oh my,, somebody has been watching mr. ed. Why can't they refuse to work in an unsafe mine without the union?

Umm get fired? Lots of people wanting mining jobs, dangerous as they are.

so here's my next question. coal mining is something I know little about, I know it's hard dangerous dirty work.. can these families sue the pants off this company? I hope they do.

you love me don't ya? I assume you do.. did you take care of go to hell? he has a question he needs answering,, he's too lazy to read..

Old thread. I grew weary of that thread about 8 hours ago.

Old thread. I grew weary of that thread about 8 hours ago.

but he's still wailing and knashing his teeth and renting his clothes. help hymn.

so here's my next question. coal mining is something I know little about, I know it's hard dangerous dirty work.. can these families sue the pants off this company? I hope they do.

Yes, the workers' families can and probably will sue. If discovery can document that the Massey execs knew without a doubt of the danger and elected to do nothing, then criminal charges up to murder can be considered by a district attorney's office. I doubt very much that the latter will happen.

Back in 2002, OSHA was deregulated and in place of regulations, "Voluntary Compliance" was added in many industries including timber, chemical and mining.

Venting cost money and time. Add the fact that these mines are not "unionized" and the miners desperately depend on their low wages. People are willing to gamble and take risks.

Some might ask, "What is this intrusive big government good for?" "What are Unions good for?"

Well, now we know.

Forum List

Back