I had the second cup of coffee in my life, for some reason it doesn't taste as bad as in the past

I've also had the odd sip or two in my life as both my parents drink coffee, but I've only really had one full cup of coffee before today. I've always disliked it immensely, even with cream and sugar.

Today I decided to stop my tea for a bit and try some coffee, black, as I've read some promising information about the health effects. It was surprisingly smooth (columbian beans) and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.

So now that I am going to try this out, for any of the coffee connoisseurs here, any recommendations?
The preferred coffee I brew in a perculator, it's 50's style. Strong and black just like I like my women.
Percolators make the best! Unless you make that French Press stuff. That's awesome. I would never go to all that trouble first thing in the morning BEFORE my coffee, though.

You really shouldnt use a percolator.
Ideal temp is 195 to 205 percolators reach 212,the boiling point.
Maybe that slight bit of almost burnt is what makes it so good. And it's stronger. It also spreads that good coffee smell around the kitchen better. I don't use one anymore--they're not easy to find and expensive--but I did stubbornly hold onto one for a long time.

There's a reason why very few people still use them.
I won't even use one camping anymore instead I use the pour over method which is basically a drip coffee maker. All you need is the cone filter holder,a filter and an extra large mug and it makes clean up a snap.
Toss the filter and rinse the cone filter holder.
Can you do that with regular grind coffee?

Of course.
Most drip coffee makers come with a drop in cone filter thats metal that way you dont even need a paper filter,I dont reccomend that because the paper filter removes the bitter oils that come off the coffee grounds..
You just take the metal cone and ad a paper filter set it in the mouth of your large mug and pour the hot water over it.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043
I set mine in the insulated mug I plan on drinking my coffee from and pour the hot water over the grounds.
It's a good idea to pour slowly.
The whole process takes a minute or so,quick and easy.
If you want to know how fresh your coffee is pour just enough water to soak the grounds,if it foams you know you have fresh coffee.
Thats the gasses being released from the grounds....no foam or bubbles means old coffee.
Well, that beats lugging my Mr. Coffee with me and plugging it in in the ladies shower room, except I'd have to start a fire to heat the water. I'm scared to death of gas, won't touch a Coleman stove. I wake early and I WILL have coffee, or all around me share my miserableness. There's nothing that sets me to swearing like a bunch of kindling that will NOT stay lit before I've had my coffee. Afterwards, I'm the sweetest old lady you'd ever want to meet.

Come on now....a single burner Coleman stove is simple to operate.
All you need is a match.
View attachment 495182
Nope. It's that turning on the gas and then trying to get your match to stay lit so the burner starts that I'm not into. If it sucks up your flame and puts it out or the breeze blows it out, then you've got an unknown amount of explosive gas sitting there and I'll be Goddamned if I will ever fuck with one again.

I've also had the odd sip or two in my life as both my parents drink coffee, but I've only really had one full cup of coffee before today. I've always disliked it immensely, even with cream and sugar.

Today I decided to stop my tea for a bit and try some coffee, black, as I've read some promising information about the health effects. It was surprisingly smooth (columbian beans) and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.

So now that I am going to try this out, for any of the coffee connoisseurs here, any recommendations?
The preferred coffee I brew in a perculator, it's 50's style. Strong and black just like I like my women.
Percolators make the best! Unless you make that French Press stuff. That's awesome. I would never go to all that trouble first thing in the morning BEFORE my coffee, though.

Maybe that slight bit of almost burnt is what makes it so good. And it's stronger. It also spreads that good coffee smell around the kitchen better. I don't use one anymore--they're not easy to find and expensive--but I did stubbornly hold onto one for a long time.

I won't even use one camping anymore instead I use the pour over method which is basically a drip coffee maker. All you need is the cone filter holder,a filter and an extra large mug and it makes clean up a snap.

Of course.
Most drip coffee makers come with a drop in cone filter thats metal that way you dont even need a paper filter,I dont reccomend that because the paper filter removes the bitter oils that come off the coffee grounds..
You just take the metal cone and ad a paper filter set it in the mouth of your large mug and pour the hot water over it.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043
I set mine in the insulated mug I plan on drinking my coffee from and pour the hot water over the grounds.
If you want to know how fresh your coffee is pour just enough water to soak the grounds,if it foams you know you have fresh coffee.
Thats the gasses being released from the grounds....no foam or bubbles means old coffee.
Well, that beats lugging my Mr. Coffee with me and plugging it in in the ladies shower room, except I'd have to start a fire to heat the water. I'm scared to death of gas, won't touch a Coleman stove. I wake early and I WILL have coffee, or all around me share my miserableness. There's nothing that sets me to swearing like a bunch of kindling that will NOT stay lit before I've had my coffee. Afterwards, I'm the sweetest old lady you'd ever want to meet.

I'll admit these day I bring my Honda 2200 Generator to power my Keurig.
It makes things even easier when camping.

View attachment 495189View attachment 495188
What makes the generator work? A battery?

Pump gas.
It'll power a small A/C unit for over 8 hours with a single gallon of gas.
And it's so quiet you can carry on normal conversation standing right next to it.
Put it behind your car and you wont even know it's there.

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

All you need is a match.
View attachment 495182
Nope. It's that turning on the gas and then trying to get your match to stay lit so the burner starts that I'm not into. If it sucks up your flame and puts it out or the breeze blows it out, then you've got an unknown amount of explosive gas sitting there and I'll be Goddamned if I will ever fuck with one again.

It's no different than lighting a gas stove in your kitchen.

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

All you need is a match.
View attachment 495182

My gas stove lit itself.

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

Pump gas.
And it's so quiet you can carry on normal conversation standing right next to it.
Do you start it like a lawnmower?

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

All you need is a match.
View attachment 495182

My gas stove lit itself.

If your striker doesnt work ya fire it up witn a match.

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

All you need is a match.
View attachment 495182

My gas stove lit itself.

If the striker doesnt work a match does.

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

Pump gas.
Do you start it like a lawnmower?

Yeah pretty much.
When you get into the larger Honda generators they start with a key.
I have two Honda generators,one a 2200 and another one thats an EU 7000isnan that can power my 5k square ft house that runs $5k.
I can convert the generator to propane with a 5k gallon tank and I can run my house for two weeks.

Yes! I recommend that you drink 3 to 5 cups a day, and consider tea as a part of your daily intake as well, especially if your family line has any risk for dementia and/or stroke. Prior to reading the following 2 articles, I subscribed to the “don’t drink too much coffee, it’s bad for your health” line. Studies have proved otherwise, and as far as I know these studies are strictly for caffeinated coffee not decaf.

“In the CAIDE study, coffee drinking of 3-5 cups per day at midlife was associated with a decreased risk of dementia/AD by about 65% at late-life. In conclusion, coffee drinking may be associated with a decreased risk of dementia/AD. This may be mediated by caffeine and/or other mechanisms like antioxidant capacity and increased insulin sensitivity. This finding might open possibilities for prevention or postponing the onset of dementia/AD.”

A separate study: “Investigators found that individuals who drank 2 to 3 cups of coffee and 2 to 3 cups of tea per day had a 30% decrease in incidence of stroke and a 28% lower risk for dementia vs those who did not.”

I’ve never had more than 3 cups (sometimes just 1) of coffee a day, but I am going to add 2 more cups to that count along with tea that I already enjoy.

Last edited:
Buy 1820. I need your money !
Growz it
Roastz it
Grind, guzzle, repeat.
I drink about 8-12 cups a day
According to my magic eight ball you will never have dementia; with your high IQ that state of deterioration would be quite foreign to your brain. Now, continue building.

Last edited:
I suggest trying Sumatran coffee. It has the lowest acid content of any other region, yet full flavored.
It's flavor profile is most described as spiced dark chocolate. Earthy undertones to balance the sweetness.
My favorite region.
The Kroger brand "Private Selections" is pretty good. ---> https://www.kroger.com/p/private-se...um-dark-roast-whole-bean-coffee/0001111001518

Even the Starbucks brand of Sumatran is pretty decent, also carried by Kroger
Sumatra also has an "herb" taste to it reminiscent of fresh herbs that I find delightful.

Sumatra also has an "herb" taste to it reminiscent of fresh herbs that I find delightful.
After discovering it for myself several years ago, I drink nothing else.
A lot of folks don't drink coffee because the acid upsets their stomach. Most people drink coffee in the morning on an empty stomach or mostly empty. For the same reason I can't drink Orange Juice in the mornings.
Once they try Sumatran and it doesn't upset their stomach.. yay Coffee again!

After discovering it for myself several years ago, I drink nothing else.
A lot of folks don't drink coffee because the acid upsets their stomach. Most people drink coffee in the morning on an empty stomach or mostly empty. For the same reason I can't drink Orange Juice in the mornings.
Once they try Sumatran and it doesn't upset their stomach.. yay Coffee again!
I read about choosing between a hot or cold beverage first thing in the morning, and it’s better to go with something warm or hot because drinking a cold drink first thing slows the kidneys. I haven’t searched for studies but I will now and come back and edit. Well, I couldn’t find anything specifically related to kidney function beyond studies about cold beverages slowing digestion. More studies are needed for public viewing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back