I guess the 1-2% "Jew" is real

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Your Cuddly Choco Bear
3 companies give me a 1-2 percent jew. I guess it is real, but so minor that it is probably hundreds of years old and I cannot figure out who of my ancestors carried that, at that small percent everyone could have carried it and it was not noticeable at all in nothing.

Opinions?

My23andme-Full.jpg
Ancestry-Abstammungsmix.jpg
Sephardipercent-Myorigins.jpg

Most of these DNA companies will give a mixed bag. When I did my test, it came up with several entries that made me go..huh?..What question are you trying to answer?

Just wondering whether you can be a "ethnic jew" with such small percent or you need more. Not saying I want to be a jew, Im content who I am, but just hypothetically wondering how much you need to be a "jew" 100%, 50%, 25%, 12% or less?

My great-grandpa says to say, "hi" to your great-grandma.

He apologizes for never writing back.

View attachment 362305

LOL. Sorry. Was on a field trip with a bunch of high schoolers and it was late in the day when one pops up and says, "But I want tocall and say goodnight to my Mom"...and another one says "I'll say good night to her for you". I was supposed to be the adult on the trip. And I couldn't stop laughing.

3 companies give me a 1-2 percent jew. I guess it is real, but so minor that it is probably hundreds of years old and I cannot figure out who of my ancestors carried that, at that small percent everyone could have carried it and it was not noticeable at all in nothing.

Opinions?

My23andme-Full.jpg
Mortimer, humanity, for the most part, is a muttly crew. Throughout our history, we have immigrated, migrated, conquered, been conquered, married out, married in, and had a whole lot of blessed fun in the process.

My advice? Embrace it. Find out what it means to be Jewish, and celebrate that tiny part that is a part of your family.

What else did it show you?

ust wondering whether you can be a "ethnic jew" with such small percent or you need more.

Wonder no more. Being Jewish is a binary state. You either are, or, in your case, very much are not, a Jew.

There is no such thing as an "ethnic" or "fractional" Jews. That was something created by some over-enthusiastic Germans trying to figure out who they should and should not send to the death camps. That kind of "racial purity" mindset died with them.

520px-Nurembergracechart.jpg

Opinions?

My23andme-Full.jpg
Mortimer, humanity, for the most part, is a muttly crew. Throughout our history, we have immigrated, migrated, conquered, been conquered, married out, married in, and had a whole lot of blessed fun in the process.

My advice? Embrace it. Find out what it means to be Jewish, and celebrate that tiny part that is a part of your family.

What else did it show you?

Basically what I expected and knew from my family background. The results are displayed.

Most of these DNA companies will give a mixed bag. When I did my test, it came up with several entries that made me go..huh?..What question are you trying to answer?

Just wondering whether you can be a "ethnic jew" with such small percent or you need more. Not saying I want to be a jew, Im content who I am, but just hypothetically wondering how much you need to be a "jew" 100%, 50%, 25%, 12% or less?

Well, not being a DNA expert, I couldn't tell you. Faith and religion are personal. I know people who don't have an ounce of Jewish in their family tree who converted..because they wanted to or they were with someone who was. No matter the %, you'll have to decide if it's something you want to pursue.

My great-grandpa says to say, "hi" to your great-grandma.

He apologizes for never writing back.

View attachment 362305

LOL. Sorry. Was on a field trip with a bunch of high schoolers and it was late in the day when one pops up and says, "But I want tocall and say goodnight to my Mom"...and another one says "I'll say good night to her for you". I was supposed to be the adult on the trip. And I couldn't stop laughing.

When I was in the Navy, we'd been at see for a few months, tempers were kind of short. Two white hats got into an shouting match. The insults continued until one said something about the other guy's mother. That guy froze like he'd been shot. Very serious faced, he said, "I don't have a mother."

The other guy immediately stopped and apologized. Then the insulted guy said, "Me and my father share yours."

That was more than 40 years ago and it still makes me laugh.

Opinions?

My23andme-Full.jpg
I want to check mine sometime.
As far as I know now I'm some combination of Irish, Scottish, Native American( Shawnee), German and Greek.

My sister paid for this, and since we have the same parents, I figured that there was little point in me doing it.

But I always considered myself 100% Polish, but the test results came back 0.5% Ashkenazi Jewish. Really explained my love for pickled herring and bagels.

Opinions?

My23andme-Full.jpg
I want to check mine sometime.
As far as I know now I'm some combination of Irish, Scottish, Native American( Shawnee), German and Greek.

I got the same Native American result (Cherokee)..and it was..well, let's say it was Bravo Sierra. Family legend passed down..that wasn't fact.
Point being. You have to take these results with a grain of salt.

My sister paid for this, and since we have the same parents, I figured that there was little point in me doing it.

But I always considered myself 100% Polish, but the test results came back 0.5% Ashkenazi Jewish. Really explained my love for pickled herring and bagels.

0.5 % seems like enough for me-----you should notify the Israeli draft board IMMEDIATELY

Forum List

Back