I got a question about the Texas Legislature

moeshiznit

Rookie
Jan 28, 2010
How does the percentage of Hispanics in the Texas population compare with the percentage of Hispanics elected into the Texas Legislature? :razz:

How does the percentage of Hispanics in the Texas population compare with the percentage of Hispanics elected into the Texas Legislature? :razz:

Interesting question. I note that no one has rushed in with an answer. Here's probably why:

In 2009, there were 31 members of the Texas State Senate. 31. Of those, there were FOUR (4) with Hispanic names. As might be expected, the House fared a little better. In 2009, there were 151 members of the House. Of those, there were TWENTY-ONE (21) with Hispanic names.

I would be willing to bet the Hispanic population of the Great State of Texas has a much higher percentage of Hispanic citizenry than is represented in its government.

I don't know what you are implying but there are no poll taxes, restrictions based on race, or any other stuff like that that I know of. Perhaps there aren't any good hispanic politicians running?

Interesting question. I note that no one has rushed in with an answer. Here's probably why:

In 2009, there were 31 members of the Texas State Senate. 31. Of those, there were FOUR (4) with Hispanic names. As might be expected, the House fared a little better. In 2009, there were 151 members of the House. Of those, there were TWENTY-ONE (21) with Hispanic names.

I would be willing to bet the Hispanic population of the Great State of Texas has a much higher percentage of Hispanic citizenry than is represented in its government.

Hispanics make up 36.5% of the state population.

How are they spread out geographically? If they are mainly clustered in the same areas that could explain the racial disproportion that exists.

In any case, as was already pointed out, nothing is stopping them from running, so I would guess there is simply a lack of Hispanic candidates running for state office.

Of course, we're all Americans anyway, so this doesn't really matter, right?

Hispanics make up 36.5% of the state population.

How are they spread out geographically? If they are mainly clustered in the same areas that could explain the racial disproportion that exists.

In any case, as was already pointed out, nothing is stopping them from running, so I would guess there is simply a lack of Hispanic candidates running for state office.

Of course, we're all Americans anyway, so this doesn't really matter, right?

Assuming all Hispanics must have certain names is racist. Why not ask about California?

Texas Legislature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Texas Constitution sets the qualifications for election to each house as follows:

• A senator must be at least 26 years of age, a citizen of Texas five years prior to election and a resident of the district from which elected one year prior to election. Each senator serves a four-year term and one-half of the Senate membership is elected every two years in even-numbered years, with the exception that all 31 Senate seats are up for election for the first legislature following the decennial census in order to reflect the newly redrawn districts. After the initial election, the Senate is divided by lot into two classes, with one class having a re-election after two years and the other having a re-election after four years.

• A representative must be at least 21 years of age, a citizen of Texas for two years prior to election and a resident of the district from which elected one year prior to election. They are elected for two-year terms, running for re-election in even-numbered years.
Neither the House of Representatives nor the Senate has term limits.
Gee there's nothing in that about race, color, creed, sex, orientation or national origin.

Last edited:
Blacks are the second biggest monolithic Dem voting block (the non-living being first) why aren't there 12 Black US Senators?

So, you're suggesting that they just go out and pick random people of Mexican heritage off the street to represent them? Last I checked, you had to run to be elected. Whose fault is it if there are not many people of Mexican heritage running in the state of Texas?

Rick

I don't know what you are implying but there are no poll taxes, restrictions based on race, or any other stuff like that that I know of. Perhaps there aren't any good hispanic politicians running?

How dare you confuse these lib idiots with a logical and reasonable question!

I'm a fifth generation Texan and I can honestly say that I have yet to see a hispanic running for office that I thought would be good for this state. When one comes along that I feel would help Texas, I'd vote for him or her without hesitation.

Blacks are the second biggest monolithic Dem voting block (the non-living being first) why aren't there 12 Black US Senators?

Cause the Republicans are courting them too effectively?
Well...
Texas Legislature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Texas Constitution sets the qualifications for election to each house as follows:

• A senator must be at least 26 years of age, a citizen of Texas five years prior to election and a resident of the district from which elected one year prior to election. Each senator serves a four-year term and one-half of the Senate membership is elected every two years in even-numbered years, with the exception that all 31 Senate seats are up for election for the first legislature following the decennial census in order to reflect the newly redrawn districts. After the initial election, the Senate is divided by lot into two classes, with one class having a re-election after two years and the other having a re-election after four years.

• A representative must be at least 21 years of age, a citizen of Texas for two years prior to election and a resident of the district from which elected one year prior to election. They are elected for two-year terms, running for re-election in even-numbered years.
Neither the House of Representatives nor the Senate has term limits.
Gee there's nothing in that about race, color, creed, sex, orientation or national origin.

How dare you confuse these lib idiots with a logical and reasonable question!

I'm a fifth generation Texan and I can honestly say that I have yet to see a hispanic running for office that I thought would be good for this state. When one comes along that I feel would help Texas, I'd vote for him or her without hesitation.

And what about the Hispanics running for office you have seen was BAD for your "state"?

Forum List

Back