I don't think this issue has a partisan spin, though I'm sure some will dishonestly spin it, and it may be something that affects the econ for a long

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
time.

public school down here starts up next week or before Aug 1. Low skill workers are still not to be found, even though the state stopped expanded UI two months ago. I'll be interested to see what happens, but I suspect the "permanent" inflation we will see with labor costs and increased food costs.

Barrick is far from alone. Nearly 1.8 million women have dropped out of the labor force amid the pandemic and are now grappling with whether and how to return to work in a vastly different landscape — one where some jobs have disappeared, others are vulnerable to automation, and nearly all involve some level of health risk.

Returning to work after so many months at home also means, for many mothers, finding a new form of child care and giving up the additional time spent with families and kids that the pandemic provided. Taking into account how the labor force was growing pre-pandemic, 2.3 million fewer women are working now than would have been without the disruption.
There’s cause for concern. So far, low-income women and women of color are lagging far behind other groups in how fast they are returning to work and recovering financially. Mothers across the income spectrum have been forced to take on additional child care responsibilities as schools and day cares have closed. And some higher-income women are moving to lower cost of living areas — allowing two-parent families to justify going down to one income — or opting to pause or downshift their careers. Barrick and her husband downsized significantly in their move from Ohio to North Carolina, and the lower mortgage payment is part of the reason she’s been able to stay home.

Well crap, I tried to post this in current events.

Well now that they get a free check every month for having kids under 18, I doubt many will be in a rush to return.

time.

public school down here starts up next week or before Aug 1. Low skill workers are still not to be found, even though the state stopped expanded UI two months ago. I'll be interested to see what happens, but I suspect the "permanent" inflation we will see with labor costs and increased food costs.

Barrick is far from alone. Nearly 1.8 million women have dropped out of the labor force amid the pandemic and are now grappling with whether and how to return to work in a vastly different landscape — one where some jobs have disappeared, others are vulnerable to automation, and nearly all involve some level of health risk.

Returning to work after so many months at home also means, for many mothers, finding a new form of child care and giving up the additional time spent with families and kids that the pandemic provided. Taking into account how the labor force was growing pre-pandemic, 2.3 million fewer women are working now than would have been without the disruption.
There’s cause for concern. So far, low-income women and women of color are lagging far behind other groups in how fast they are returning to work and recovering financially. Mothers across the income spectrum have been forced to take on additional child care responsibilities as schools and day cares have closed. And some higher-income women are moving to lower cost of living areas — allowing two-parent families to justify going down to one income — or opting to pause or downshift their careers. Barrick and her husband downsized significantly in their move from Ohio to North Carolina, and the lower mortgage payment is part of the reason she’s been able to stay home.

Well crap, I tried to post this in current events.
Your link:

"But mostly she values the extra time at home, the holidays she no longer has to work through and the fact that she no longer feels she’s racing through her life on auto-pilot, tied up not just with 'the job and the kids but the scheduling of doctor’s appointments, and the cooking and the cleaning.'

"She and her husband have decided they can make it work on one income, and the setup also feels, at least for now, like it’s best for their family.

"'The longer I’m out of it, the more I’m just kind of like, well, should I go back?' Barrick said. 'The longer time goes by, the more ambivalent I get.'"

In contemporary capitalism there are several dimensions of unpaid labor like household work. First, it is not compensated in terms of direct payments of capital. Secondly, elsewhere in the economy the same activities are paid, Lastly, participation in unpaid labor is directly related to socially and politically constructed power relations.
event-cover-7760

Has the Time for Universal Basic Income Finally Arrived?

Forum List

Back