I don’t think there is time to fill Ginsberg seat on the Court.

We shall see. I do know that Ginsberg herself was seated within 45 days of nomination.

Republicans just need to do what Chuck and Nancy would do if they were in power....

"Um, elections, uh, um, they, uh have um consequences"
- Saint Barack

but it could go either way
True, which is why I advocate keeping our foot on the accelerator and getting this SCOTUS seat filled while we are guaranteed to be successful. If there's fallout from the victory, so be it. We can deal with that when/if it happens.

I know everyone is emotional. The Republicans excited to take a seat from the left. The Democrats upset to lose the seat. But realistically. There isn’t time to fill the seat before the election.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Again realistically. It would have to take place a week or two before. So cutting a month out of the process is just not likely.

It gets worse. Even if Trump wins the election holding the Senate is not certain. So action during the Lame Duck period is less likely unless Republicans manage to hold the Senate. If the Republicans lose the senate running the nomination through will make Trumps ability to work with the new Congress that much more difficult.

McConnell says he will have a vote. But there are hundreds of hurdles to cross before that can happen. And the willingness of the Senators to vote comes into play.

A handful of Republicans could just refuse and the Nominee is dead on arrival. No Confirmation and no way to resubmit the candidate to the Court later.

If Trump loses there is not going to be any popular outcry to get his nominee on the Bench. Biden gets to pick the next Justice in that case.

I just do not see where there is enough time to do this before the election. 45 days remain and even without the election that would be a nearly record time. With the election, just no real way to do it.
They can vote to confirm after the election and before January, no matter who wins.

What McConnell said is irrelevant. The powers to nominate and confirm are specified in the Constitution.
But the time to get it all done isn't. If worse comes to worst, the Dems walk out and the Senate won't have a quorum. Think McConnell and Trump are the only ones that know how the political games work? It's laughable to think a new justice could be in place in a couple of months.

First you have to find a candidate. That takes time. Then you have to Vet the candidate. That takes more time. Then the candidate has to be presented to the Senate. Hearings and all that have to be scheduled. The average time for that is about 65 days. Or more than two weeks past the election. All while a third of the Senators are focused on the election and saving their seats.

Ummm...no. It can be done. Remember Trump has already made a Supreme court list I think thanks to Judicial Watch if I remember correctly--- so there is no looking for a candidate---He already has a list of them. Pretty sure he already knows which one he is going to nominate as well.

So the next step is simply to officially nominate and for Mitch to set date for hearings---with TIME LIMITs. Two weeks pumpkin------to start the hearing if they really want. 1 week for the hearing.....then a vote. Less than a month altogether.

but it could go either way
True, which is why I advocate keeping our foot on the accelerator and getting this SCOTUS seat filled while we are guaranteed to be successful. If there's fallout from the victory, so be it. We can deal with that when/if it happens.

And what if that fallout is losing the White House as well as the Senate? Have you considered what that would mean? Nothing stopping the Democrats from pushing any legislation they want through.

And what if that fallout is losing the White House as well as the Senate? Have you considered what that would mean?
I'm of the opinion that Trump will not lose. I've seen Biden try to speak. Not much left there. Regardless, I'd take a lifetime SCOTUS over a POTUS with a divided or opposition congress. The long game is more important than the immediate victory.
Nothing stopping the Democrats from pushing any legislation they want through.
Except the SCOTUS declaring it unconstitutional.

Forum List

Back