I dispute the idea new mileage rules will make cars more expensive

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
New mileage rules: Pay more for cars, less at pump - Yahoo! News
By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Ken Thomas, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Drivers will have to pay more for cars and trucks, but they'll save at the pump under tough new federal rules aimed at boosting mileage, cutting emissions and hastening the next generation of fuel-stingy hybrids and electric cars.

The new standards, announced Thursday, call for a 35.5 miles-per-gallon average within six years, up nearly 10 mpg from now.

Imagine the options with this $20,000 car you move 200,000 units of a year. Its a 3400 lb family sedan with 3 engine choices. A 180horse 32 mpg 2.2Liter 4 banger no one buys. A 250horse 26mpg 3.3Liter V6 which is the most popular choice, and a 399 Horse 22mpgTurbo 6 cylinder which is the "face car" of the model.

What will it take to make this car get 35mpg?

Not much. Make a 140 horse 4 cylinder your main model. Your company probably already has this engine in production for your economy gas getter. Don't say 140 horse cars aren't acceptable. I'm not the oldest one here and I remember cars in the 80's doing 70mph just fine.

Where does the increased cost come from?

Interesting factoid on the W. I'll use it at work to build support for this. Got a link? I can find stuff about the 07 bill he signed which put these similar standards in place by 2020. Read some references to a plan about "reduce gas use by 20%" by xxx years.

Last edited:
Oh you'll be paying more at the pump as well.

Well I guess doing what we can to kill the demand for middle eastern oil is supported by the troops.

You agree offering less powerful engine options in cars won't raise the price?

Interesting factoid on the W. I'll use it at work to build support for this. Got a link? I can find stuff about the 07 bill he signed which put these similar standards in place by 2020. Read some references to a plan about "reduce gas use by 20%" by xxx years.

Getting to more then 35 would be a good thing. I think we should shoot for 100.

Problem is the Dems keep cutting off ideas. They only want to try what they want to try and none their ideas work in the real world.

Their goal is to raise the price of gas slowly..

What was it Obama said; "It's not that the price is too high...it's that it went too high too fast."

Obama cuts off other sources of energy while he's playing face time to this phony exploration rhetoric. He has no intention of allowing drilling. He's just allowing them to explore....which costs millions.....with no profits on the horizon. It's total bullshit.

As MPG increases, people tend to drive more (its cheaper), and so gasoline consumption remains relatively constant. MPG standards won't even dent our dependency on foreign oil.

As MPG increases, people tend to drive more (its cheaper), and so gasoline consumption remains relatively constant. MPG standards won't even dent our dependency on foreign oil.

Right...and because the tree-huggers run the Democrat Party they have no intention on letting us drive more.

The goal is to get us off fossil fuels completely....but then they don't have any viable alternatives.

Well, we all disagree with the Associated Press and have decided 35mpg cars are as cheap to produce as 30 mpg cars.

A valid point. Can I politely agree 80% or so?

If gas was $.30 a gallon still I'd drive more than even I do (about 20k miles a year). I just don't have THAT much time to drive even further to fish or vacation or whatever.

Well I guess doing what we can to kill the demand for middle eastern oil is supported by the troops.

You agree offering less powerful engine options in cars won't raise the price?

Of fuel?
New taxes are coming .
The dollar is being deliberately weakened everything is going to cost more.
The financial crisis hasn't even started yet.

I was driving a Civic in 1986 that got 35 miles per gallon, and an Omni in 1996 that got 35 miles to the gallon. What's the big deal? They were cheap too, secondhand.

Drove a 1980 Rabbit Diesel all over the Western States when my kids were little. Wonderful little car, got 46 mpg in all conditions. Yes, it was gutless, and you had to drive it, using the gears to get onto freeways, but it would run all day at 65 or 70 mph.

I'll take the last two posts as further proof the only reason new cars get such poor fuel economy (on the whole) is excessive power.

I'll take the last two posts as further proof the only reason new cars get such poor fuel economy (on the whole) is excessive power.
You forgot ludicrous size.
You know the SUV's, Hummers, and Limos favored by all the "Green" advocates like Al Bore.

If Al Gore became spokesman for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal folks their donations from the public would go way down.

Quite right.

Or faster. When we got down to a dollar a liter I drove a Hyundai Getz at speeds that felt like the Space Shuttle on orbit re-entry after it had it's heat tiles glued on by Alf and Ralph from Green Acres.

There was a lot of cheap gas in both my tanks that day.

Last edited:
New mileage rules: Pay more for cars, less at pump - Yahoo! News
By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Ken Thomas, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Drivers will have to pay more for cars and trucks, but they'll save at the pump under tough new federal rules aimed at boosting mileage, cutting emissions and hastening the next generation of fuel-stingy hybrids and electric cars.

The new standards, announced Thursday, call for a 35.5 miles-per-gallon average within six years, up nearly 10 mpg from now.

Imagine the options with this $20,000 car you move 200,000 units of a year. Its a 3400 lb family sedan with 3 engine choices. A 180horse 32 mpg 2.2Liter 4 banger no one buys. A 250horse 26mpg 3.3Liter V6 which is the most popular choice, and a 399 Horse 22mpgTurbo 6 cylinder which is the "face car" of the model.

What will it take to make this car get 35mpg?

Not much. Make a 140 horse 4 cylinder your main model. Your company probably already has this engine in production for your economy gas getter. Don't say 140 horse cars aren't acceptable. I'm not the oldest one here and I remember cars in the 80's doing 70mph just fine.

Where does the increased cost come from?

Tried that is the 70's and the American people hated it. Remember the Mustang II? My father laughed when my sister drove up to the house.

Then you have to ask how safe these cars are. Do you want to be in a lite weight car because the engine cannot pull the weight on the normal car, nor will it get mileage, in a wreck with say my F250?

Agreed, the very idea of lowering the price of anything is a joke and it isn't going to happen, unless the quality is substandard and basic junk. All the misleading stories and outright lies have for ever been used to achieve the agendas of those who wish to take your money.

Remember decades ago the term "Pay TV"? Yes folks when we all PAY for TV that will mean no or very minimal advertising. Now we not only pay for TV through the nose, the ads are out of control.

Remember, PUMP your own gas, ie: self service gas stations? Your gas will be much less by pumping it yourself....:lol: They got US to take the place of an attendant, free labor, and still the prices for the most part were no real savings. Can we hear the executives looking at us pumping our gas and saying, "Suckers!" :lol: There are so many examples I won't even continue.

We are so gullible, to believe these "Marketeers of Deception"

Why can't I buy a Ford Ranger with a 4 banger diesel engine like they sell in Europe?

I get between 25 and 30 mpg with my gasoline engine, but would gladly trade that for the 40-50 MPG of the diesel engined Ranger.

What is it with the USA that they won't allow this type of engine for small trucks, anyway?

Forum List

Back