I could use your help – a conversation for a post-grad project

RGStarkey

Rookie
Oct 5, 2016
Hello

I've been tasked with tackling inaccessibility in an Art Direction MA unit I began last week – awaken international conversation from four seemingly remote utterances. Believing that anything internal, once outed, can illicit a response – start a conversation – I'll leave you my 4 chosen starting points and my own responses.

Respond however you see fit – your heated reaction or cool consideration, through words or images and as many times as you want to – respond to as many or few of the utterances as you want, or respond to me or anyone who replies to this thread.

1. Historical
The sun sets without your assistance. The Talmud.

My response:
The sun sets without anyone’s assistance. I wake with the sun’s assistance and I should worship the Great Hot and become golden and scaly and shrunken beneath it. And praise it when it is gone so that it can return; and sacrifice to it when it is short with us so that it will stay longer. And exodus toward those blessed lands that it treats so much kinder than England, for it is those lands and its people who are right and righteous. How can we argue against such orange-red heat? Until I can join them I will sit before my fire this winter and praise the little image, the little part of the Great Hot.

2. The Unreal
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake. Stephen Dedalus in Ulysses.

My Response:

First.
History can be treated as a book, as a book is a capsule. It can be opened when needed: to teach, to shock, to sadden or please, but it must soon be closed and put back on the shelf. And eyes lifted to the world.

Second.
Is it the history that says we’ll die, and be forgotten and left here? What do we awaken to? Is it eternal life, ever strength, or some small control? Is it the history I was taught as a child – the God, the rules, the pageant and the wet head? What do we awaken to? Is it drink, fucking, confidence, exploration, bellowing and the gift-curse of true life and true death? Is history the terrible things my image has done? What do we wake to? Is it punishment, penance, admonishment, forgiveness and brotherhood? Is history what I cannot live up to? What do we awaken to? Is it quiet and still and airy? Is history my blood? What do we awaken to? Is it an untrodden path, a wild-wolf mother and yellow milk, pick-a-culture and pick-a-dream?

3. Modernity
We should be incredibly proud and positive about the UK, and what it can now achieve. Boris Johnstone.

My Response:
Let those that admire you join with you.

4. Pre-History
Cave Painting.jpg
Cave Response S.jpg

Above, my response.

Thank you for your time. I'm Robert from Manchester, England.

Welcome, Robert.

#4 Were you/we happier when we were unburdened with the weight of intellectual thought?

Thanks for the replies. Great start.

#4. There's a hell of a lot more clutter in my "life shot" than in the pre-history example.

2. The Unreal
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake. Stephen Dedalus in Ulysses.

History doesn't care about you. Stay awake anyway.

Thanks for the replies. Great start.

#4. There's a hell of a lot more clutter in my "life shot" than in the pre-history example.
dance-ii-1910.jpg

The hunters in the prehistoric painting reminded me of this.

Looks like a waste of time to me. Learn how to build things, fix things, make things. Learn about reality, how it works and how it doesn't work. You'll find yourself more useful and prepared instead of a head full of abstracts nobody but another daydreamer cares about.

Iceweasel hates education, even K-12. He only tolerates people who are just like him.

Without big ideas and abstract thinkers, we would be fixing our spears outside weasel's cave and planning the next attack on the neighboring tribe, getting ready to sacrifice someone's first born to get rain. Not everyone is up to Ulysses, but that doesn't make thinkers useless, Ice.

Keep them coming, guys and girls. It's fascinating to see different responses coming from the various principalities having this discussion.

The more responses the better – if you want to tell me I'm wasting my time, go for it. Our group discussed the project this morning, I'll put some information up later today – see if it gets even more out of you.

To continue the discussion here's some Devil's advocate: I'm 30, certainly not a kid. I've worked for an international camera company (and still do) for the previous four years. This is my 3rd higher-education institution, seventh year of higher education. I'm not wet behind the ears, or grotesquely bright eyed. Are the life lessons a waste of your time?

Rob

Forum List

Back