I can't believe this is from San Francisco!!!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
If You Support Higher Minimum Wages, You Hate Bookstores

You don't hate bookstores. Do you?
Similarly, this is why some burger joints are experimenting with machines that literally make the burgers automatically. Fewer people in the kitchen means less labor purchased. This is why the CBO projected that increasing the minimum wage to $10.10 could cost half-a-million jobs.
In November, San Francisco voters overwhelmingly passed a measure that will increase the minimum wage within the city to $15 per hour by 2018.
Although all of us at Borderlands support the concept of a living wage in principal and we believe that it’s possible that the new law will be good for San Francisco —
Borderlands Books as it exists is not a financially viable business if subject to that minimum wage.
Consequently we will be closing our doors no later than March 31st. …

The change in minimum wage will mean our payroll will increase roughly 39%.
That increase will in turn bring up our total operating expenses by 18%.
To make up for that expense, we would need to increase our sales by a minimum of 20%.
We do not believe that is a realistic possibility for a bookstore in San Francisco at this time.

The other obvious alternative to increasing sales would be to decrease expenses.
The only way to accomplish the amount of savings needed would be to reduce our staff to: the current management (Alan Beatts and Jude Feldman), and one other part-time employee.

Alan would need to take over most of Jude’s administrative responsibilities and Jude would work the counter five to six days per week. Taking all those steps would allow management to increase their work hours by 50-75% while continuing to make roughly the same modest amount that they make now (by way of example, Alan’s salary was $28,000 last year).
That’s not an option for obvious reasons and for at least one less obvious one — at the planned minimum wage in 2018, either of them would earn more than their current salary working only 40 hours per week at a much less demanding job that paid minimum wage.
If You Support Higher Minimum Wages You Hate Bookstores Washington Free Beacon

There should be a war on creepy old men who have 19yr olds posing mostly naked as their avatars. 19 = a kid

This again proves the minimum wage is still $0.00.

I wonder how many more small businesses that can't compete with the big companies in pricing are going to go under because of the costs of the goods and the labor?

Sad to see so many mom and pop stores disappear.

I don't get the "can't believe... San Francisco" connection here.

San Francisco's a wonderful town but it's very expensive to live there. You know that, right?

San Francisco's a wonderful town but it's very expensive to live there. You know that, right?
Nothing to get, a mom and pop closed and more will follow. We are losing the small businesses and the people that really care about their customers. Keep piling on more laws and regulations, big business will continue to find ways around the regulations and lobby for themselves and let the little guys go under.

Pretty soon our choices are going to be Walmart or Target, for dinner Applebee's or Red Lobster, Amazon or Costco. The little guy, screw'em.

Similarly, this is why some burger joints are experimenting with machines that literally make the burgers automatically. Fewer people in the kitchen means less labor purchased. This is why the CBO projected that increasing the minimum wage to $10.10 could cost half-a-million jobs.
In November, San Francisco voters overwhelmingly passed a measure that will increase the minimum wage within the city to $15 per hour by 2018.
Although all of us at Borderlands support the concept of a living wage in principal and we believe that it’s possible that the new law will be good for San Francisco —
Borderlands Books as it exists is not a financially viable business if subject to that minimum wage.

To make up for that expense, we would need to increase our sales by a minimum of 20%.
We do not believe that is a realistic possibility for a bookstore in San Francisco at this time.

The other obvious alternative to increasing sales would be to decrease expenses.
The only way to accomplish the amount of savings needed would be to reduce our staff to: the current management (Alan Beatts and Jude Feldman), and one other part-time employee.

Alan would need to take over most of Jude’s administrative responsibilities and Jude would work the counter five to six days per week. Taking all those steps would allow management to increase their work hours by 50-75% while continuing to make roughly the same modest amount that they make now (by way of example, Alan’s salary was $28,000 last year).
That’s not an option for obvious reasons and for at least one less obvious one — at the planned minimum wage in 2018, either of them would earn more than their current salary working only 40 hours per week at a much less demanding job that paid minimum wage.

“Overall I think [the minimum wage increase] may be very good for San Francisco,” said Beatts. “We’re a subset of a subset that are having negative effects from this.”

Borderlands Books in SF announces closure cites minimum wage increase Other News San Francisco San Francisco Examiner

The issue with the bookstore is that the books are prepriced. If that wasn't the case, he could increase prices to match.....as he's doing with the adjoining cafe that is staying open.

Nothing to get, a mom and pop closed and more will follow. We are losing the small businesses and the people that really care about their customers. Keep piling on more laws and regulations, big business will continue to find ways around the regulations and lobby for themselves and let the little guys go under.

Pretty soon our choices are going to be Walmart or Target, for dinner Applebee's or Red Lobster, Amazon or Costco. The little guy, screw'em.

Doesn't answer the question about singling out San Francisco.

The Targets btw are closing up because of the Amazons. It's technoshift. But I for one would sooner starve to death than be forced to eat at Applebee's. :puke:
Restaurants IMO will never be subject to the Wal-Mart effect, because preparing and presenting a meal involves creativity. There's no creativity in a chain store. That's part of the whole point of going to a restaurant.. the creativity.

Now back to San Francisco... the entire title of this thread is about San Francisco. Not a word about books or wages. I'm still trying to find the handle on that.

Did you somehow miss the idea of Creative Destruction: Creative destruction - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

If you can't pay a Living Wage then there is no reason for you to be in business here, none at all.

Why is it so expensive? Because of continual rules and regulations like this increase in minimum wage!
Don't you comprehend the concept of raising costs of doing business raises prices people pay?
I'm sure you think those small business people are making a fortune and need to be taken down a peg by re-distribution!

The Targets btw are closing up because of the Amazons. It's technoshift. But I for one would sooner starve to death than be forced to eat at Applebee's. :puke:
Restaurants IMO will never be subject to the Wal-Mart effect, because preparing and presenting a meal involves creativity. There's no creativity in a chain store. That's part of the whole point of going to a restaurant.. the creativity.

Now back to San Francisco... the entire title of this thread is about San Francisco. Not a word about books or wages. I'm still trying to find the handle on that.

San Francisco is pricing the bookstore out of business with higher wages.

Chain restaurants are not creative, eat at one Olive Garden, Red Lobster and on and on and they are all the same. They hire guys that can slap together pre-cooked, frozen food. No creativity, no changing things up. Not as good as a nice local mom and pop restaurant. IMHO

Obviously you don't seem to know that the majority of people in :
San Francisco County vote by party in presidential elections 2012 13.0% 47,076 GOP Democrat 83.4% 301,723
Politics of San Francisco - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And since as Gruber said because of the "Stupidity of the American Voter" most uninformed voters that voted for Obama don't seem to know that:
In 1979 6,912,000 or 13.4% of all hourly workers worked at minimum wage or of the total hourly workers of 51,582,090
In 1989 3,162,000 or 50% LESS working at minimum wage of the 62,000,000 people working at hourly wage
In 2009 there were 3,572,000 people working at minimum wage of the total work force of 72,897,959 at hourly wage or 4.9%
Finally in 2013 there were 3,300,000 working at minimum or 4.3% of 76,744,186 that work at hourly or 4.3%

AND of the 3.3 million working at minimum wage:
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared
with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and the remaining at age 16 to 24 years,1,797,000 at or below minimum wage.

Check out the statistics here if you really are an honest person!!!

Tables 1 - 10 Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012

So again... a teachable moment for those of you of Gruber's stupidity membership!
If you can understand for age 16 to 24 they don't have families. Usually at a menially tasks. Tasks that will be automated.

Why is it so expensive? Because of continual rules and regulations like this increase in minimum wage!
Don't you comprehend the concept of raising costs of doing business raises prices people pay?
I'm sure you think those small business people are making a fortune and need to be taken down a peg by re-distribution!

It's expensive because the government needs money to keep the parks and museums going.

San Francisco is pricing the bookstore out of business with higher wages.

Chain restaurants are not creative, eat at one Olive Garden, Red Lobster and on and on and they are all the same. They hire guys that can slap together pre-cooked, frozen food. No creativity, no changing things up. Not as good as a nice local mom and pop restaurant. IMHO

I know, that's what I'm saying. I agree, I'd automatically favor a one-of-a-kind restaurant of any grade over a chain.

My clients used to send me to Florida sometimes. I knew I'd get nothing decent to eat. Nothing but chains, far as the eye can see... :death:

What does any of that have to do with San Francisco specifically?

Its expensive because more people want to live there than there are homes.

Obviously you don't seem to know that the majority of people in :
San Francisco County vote by party in presidential elections 2012 13.0% 47,076 GOP Democrat 83.4% 301,723
Politics of San Francisco - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And since as Gruber said because of the "Stupidity of the American Voter" most uninformed voters that voted for Obama don't seem to know that:
In 1979 6,912,000 or 13.4% of all hourly workers worked at minimum wage or of the total hourly workers of 51,582,090
In 1989 3,162,000 or 50% LESS working at minimum wage of the 62,000,000 people working at hourly wage
In 2009 there were 3,572,000 people working at minimum wage of the total work force of 72,897,959 at hourly wage or 4.9%
Finally in 2013 there were 3,300,000 working at minimum or 4.3% of 76,744,186 that work at hourly or 4.3%

AND of the 3.3 million working at minimum wage:
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared
with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and the remaining at age 16 to 24 years,1,797,000 at or below minimum wage.

Check out the statistics here if you really are an honest person!!!

Tables 1 - 10 Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012

So again... a teachable moment for those of you of Gruber's stupidity membership!
If you can understand for age 16 to 24 they don't have families. Usually at a menially tasks. Tasks that will be automated.

Ah. So your tiny little mind reduces everything to a little political sports scoreboard. And it's too tiny to notice that virtually all cities vote that way.

Still doesn't answer what the fuck San Francisco has to do with this story....

Forum List

Back