I Blame FuzzyKitten for this...

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
I suddenly have the urge to break out the Christmas music. My favorite Christmas song is "Drummer Boy" by Jars of Clay. I am also ashamed to say that I like Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You". "Its a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Story" are wonderful Christmas movies...again, I am ashamed to say that "Love Actually" is another good Christmas movie.

You guys have any favorites?

I suddenly have the urge to break out the Christmas music. My favorite Christmas song is "Drummer Boy" by Jars of Clay. I am also ashamed to say that I like Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You". "Its a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Story" are wonderful Christmas movies...again, I am ashamed to say that "Love Actually" is another good Christmas movie.

You guys have any favorites?
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

I listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra's music 365...not because it is Christmas music, but because I love the way they do their music and their guitar work is amazing. This year we got center stage 25th row tickets to their performance here.

"Baby it's cold outside" - probably my favourite. :)

But the Time-Lift collection (with the snow-covered red house on the cover) pwn3s my Xmas :)

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

I listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra's music 365...not because it is Christmas music, but because I love the way they do their music and their guitar work is amazing. This year we got center stage 25th row tickets to their performance here.

They are so great!!!

theirs is the only Christmas music I like anymore. I can't stand the 15 different sappy, drawn-out versions of "White Christmas" and "I'm Coming Home for Christmas"...and if I have to hear Jingle Bells more than twice I wanna hit someone.

Last year when TSO came, we got autographs from the main people after the show.

I feel the same way about the movie "It's a Wonderful Life", I feel like hitting Jimmy Stewart on the head with a frying pan and telling him your dead.... get it through your thick skull!!! :poke: :)

David John and the Comstock Cowboys...

They will be playing at Pipers Opera House...Virginia City,Nevada on Saturday Dec.9th....a really good show and a must to see...old time Christmas in a setting dating back to 1876 hell even Mark Twain frequented Pipers....

go to: www.comstockcowboys.com/products.htm numerous 30 second samples to check out!

Aren't they a lot a like?

(hiding now from expected obsessive fan outrage :fifty: )
i'm not an obsessive fan. I just kind of discovered them about 2 years ago. I knew about the group, but only through a few songs that would be played on the radio.

Anyway, yes, they are similar in the fact they do rock operas with classical music combining modern style. But TSO is more known for their use of classical instruments to complement the keyboard and electric guitar. Mannheim is mostly keyboard and electronical sounding music. TSO is also known for their original songs written by Paul O'Neil and Jon Oliva as well as their versions of Christmas songs that kick ass with their live performances using lasers, flamethrowers, etc. TSO is a newer arrival as far as the rock opera music scene (officially formed in 1996), but I think they have far better talented musicians (their newest guitarist can play 'Flight of the Bumblebee' flawlessly), and their shows are much more exciting, and more original. Mannhem didn't start touring again until TSO started becoming more well known. TSO is now a very popular choice for coordinated light shows just from the one guy in Ohio using "Wizards in Winter" for his display that Miller even used for a commercial.

TSO's amazing CD cover art is done by Paul, and so is the whole story that was written along with the music, which tells of a runaway girl that learns the meaning of family, Christmas, etc.

TSO also recruits local musicians to play the classical instruments. So when they come here, we not only hear them, we hear local musicians from the Minnesota Orchestra play as well.

Because they are known more for their Christmas songs, they only have one non-Christmas CD out called "Beethoven's Last Night" which tells of Beethoven's last days through a series of songs. Same style, but different music altogether. They have a new Cd to come out in 07 called "Nightcastle".

Really, it is all in personal taste. I like TSO better because of the harmony and the use of classical instruments rather than the mostly electronic and space-ship like sounds of Mannheim.

Samples of each:
Trans-Siberian Orchestra site: http://www.trans-siberian.com/multimedia/index.shtml

Mannheim: http://www.mannheimsteamroller.com/index2.html

I think so..can I hide with ya?

Of course!

Follow me:

secret.jpg

Every year we sit around the old record player and listen to Red Skelton's "The Little Christmas Tree"...

It isn't music, it's a story, but man that guy could tell a good yarn!

Dayum! That's it! Wow, that brings back some memories...

I can't say I remember the original, but I've heard it. Thanks for the props, I'm glad I recognized, it took a bit to track it down. :thup:

Forum List

Back