"I and the Father are one."

Doesn't this mean to be one with God the way Jesus was one with God?

Let us see what happens when we take that in context.

Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.
I and [my] Father are one.

John 10:24-30

Lets see, Jesus said that the miracles he performs prove he is telling the truth, that the people who follow him know his voice, that he gives them eternal life, that no man can take them away from him, and that he is one with the Father who is greater than all.

If we tried to interpret that to mean what you want it to mean than Jesus would be saying that all Christians have the power to grant eternal life to anyone who follows them. That would be crazy.

That might work for you, but it does not work for me.

• Banned

Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.

Lets see, Jesus said that the miracles he performs prove he is telling the truth, that the people who follow him know his voice, that he gives them eternal life, that no man can take them away from him, and that he is one with the Father who is greater than all.

If we tried to interpret that to mean what you want it to mean than Jesus would be saying that all Christians have the power to grant eternal life to anyone who follows them. That would be crazy.

We don't see eye to eye. Examine what you think "eternal life" means. To me, it means timelessness.

We don't see eye to eye. Examine what you think "eternal life" means. To me, it means timelessness.

Sane people do not try to change the entire universe so that it revolves around them and their definitions. Like I keep telling you, you are crazy.

• Banned

Sane people do not try to change the entire universe so that it revolves around them and their definitions. Like I keep telling you, you are crazy.

You have a very small mind when it comes to your faith. Why aren't you happy that I find my way to understanding God and Jesus in a personal way?

You have a very small mind when it comes to your faith. Why aren't you happy that I find my way to understanding God and Jesus in a personal way?

Would you be happy if I insisted that being a lesbian meant that you had to be married to a man? Or if every time you pointed out how stupid that was I changed the meaning of something to prove I was right.

My refusal to allow you to believe that up is green is not symptomatic of me having a small mind. In order to understand someone, or something, you have to accept them, or it, for who they are. If you were actually interested in learning about Jesus, God, or being a Christian, I would talk to you earnestly, and treat you with respect an patience. Since you are not, I will treat you the way Jesus treated the Pharisees.

• Banned

Would you be happy if I insisted that being a lesbian meant that you had to be married to a man? Or if every time you pointed out how stupid that was I changed the meaning of something to prove I was right.

My refusal to allow you to believe that up is green is not symptomatic of me having a small mind. In order to understand someone, or something, you have to accept them, or it, for who they are. If you were actually interested in learning about Jesus, God, or being a Christian, I would talk to you earnestly, and treat you with respect an patience. Since you are not, I will treat you the way Jesus treated the Pharisees.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to find common ground. I guess we have none. Goodbye. I will leave you completely alone now. Take care.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to find common ground. I guess we have none. Goodbye. I will leave you completely alone now. Take care.
I bet you just made him cry. How mean of you!

You are such a bully.

This statement seems to be a bit of a fragment. Others may be able to understand what you are intending here, but to be honest, I have no clue what you are trying to ask.

I doubt we do agree with what Eternal life means. I know what the scriptures say:

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3)

Jesus said Eternal life is to know the Father and Him. I think this says several things:

1) Eternal Life is something more than merely living forever.
2) It is possible to know God and Jesus Christ
3) If we don't know God and Christ, then we don't have Eternal life.

Now, what does it mean to know? I don't know yet.

I think it's also important to remember that Eternal is one of God's name.

If you ponder and pray about these things the Lord can teach you the mystery.

The best way to learn what passages in the scripture mean is to study the scriptures and to pray. The Spirit can and does reveal the word to those who seek. And we can know God and Christ.

Why would anyone who loves truth be happy if someone embraces lies?

We aren't meant to find our own way. The Lord has provided help to lead us to Him. Namely the scriptures, the Spirit, and prayer.

You can learn more in 5 mins of looking into heaven then all the theorizing, reading, and personal interpretations.

We do not have any because you reject my point of view without any discussion, and then self righteously claim you were reaching out to me by forcing me to accept your views. That is no different that those you rail against who say everyone has the same right to marry anyone, as long as they marry the opposite sex.

You are what you hate, which is why you should reject hate.

Last edited:
No. It means Jesus, the Son of God, is one with the father. When you stop posting tidbits to try to prove your false premises, what you post will probably mean something.

Catholics and many Protestant faiths believe in the trinity. They believe that God, Jesus and the holy spirit are one and the same. They claim when Jesus says such things he means he IS God. Something he clearly does NOT mean.

Through out John Jesus spends a great deal of time reminding people he is NOT God. he is not the Father. And those that believe in the trinity simply ignore it. No where in the bible is it proclaimed that jesus is God, nor that the Holy Spirit is God. It is a fabrication of man.

It is amazing how many Christians are clueless what is being taught in the Bible. They go to church every Sunday and then trash someone that doesn't think just like they do.

Short story:

Moving into Salt Lake City and as I'm unloading the moving van a guy from across the street comes over and asks if I need any help. I say no, we're almost done and, as he walks away, turns around and says, "Are you of the church?" I say no and for the next 5 years the man never says another word to me.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

A Lot of Christians don't even understand what their pastor, minister, whatever, are even telling them. Robotic idiots.

It is amazing how many Christians are clueless what is being taught in the Bible. They go to church every Sunday and then trash someone that doesn't think just like they do.

Short story:

Moving into Salt Lake City and as I'm unloading the moving van a guy from across the street comes over and asks if I need any help. I say no, we're almost done and, as he walks away, turns around and says, "Are you of the church?" I say no and for the next 5 years the man never says another word to me.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

A Lot of Christians don't even understand what their pastor, minister, whatever, are even telling them. Robotic idiots.

You're right...many don't. I'm Christian, and if i'd been the neighbor i would not have asked that question in the first place! And, the neighbor had to belong to a strange church, because Jesus was always among sinners (NOT saying you are one! :) ) He would dine with sinners. Who else needs to be helped more than sinners? So to ignore you for years after that throws up big red flags to wonder what cult he belonged to!

Short story:

You're right...many don't. I'm Christian, and if i'd been the neighbor i would not have asked that question in the first place! And, the neighbor had to belong to a strange church, because Jesus was always among sinners (NOT saying you are one! :) ) He would dine with sinners. Who else needs to be helped more than sinners? So to ignore you for years after that throws up big red flags to wonder what cult he belonged to!
Salt Lake City = Mormon Church. Those idiots run that state with an IRON FIST!! If there was EVER a reason for separation of church and state just look at Utah. If you don't agree with them, well, it's not pretty.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Forum List

Back