I am Seriously Puzzled about This...

There is a movement of voters who are surfacing these days (I assume this is legitimate) who make the following claim:

"I am a Republican but I'm voting for Biden."

Somebody please explain to me how anyone who is a Republican can read or be aware of the Democrat platform for 2020, and vote for Joe Biden.

I see one possibility...I disagree with it, but I understand it...Republicans are turned off by Donald Trump's personality and manner, and don't want to vote for him.

But that is a reason not to vote. How can anyone who claims to be a Republican see the Democrat platform and not be totally repulsed by it?

I don't get it.

They're Democrats. Democrats have this bizarre belief that if they claim they are Republicans but they are voting for Democrats they will persuade other Republicans to vote for Democrats. It's stupid. But so is everything Democrats say

The list keeps growing.

""""Not voting for Trump:

• Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker: "The governor cannot support Donald Trump for president and is focused on seeing Massachusetts through the pandemic. He’ll leave the election analysis to the pundits," a spokesperson said.
  • Vermont Gov. Phil Scott: He has been a vocal critic of the president, supporting House Democrats' impeachment inquiry and saying earlier this year Trump “shouldn’t be in office." He reaffirmed this summer that he will not support Trump in November.
  • Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan: The frequent Trump critic said that he cast a write-in vote for former President Ronald Reagan because he "thought it was important to just cast a vote that showed the kind of person I’d like to see in office."
  • Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah): The party's 2012 presidential nominee said in February that he will not support Trump shortly after he voted to convict the president on one count in his impeachment trial.
  • John Bolton: Trump's former national security adviser said he will not vote for Biden or Trump and hopes that history remembers Trump "as a one-term president."
  • William H. McRaven: McRaven, who led the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, has publicly criticized the president. He told The New York Times, "This fall, it's time for a new leadership in this country — Republican, Democrat or independent."
Voting for Biden:

• Colin Powell: The former secretary of state under George W. Bush and retired four-star general said that he will support Biden because he believes that Trump has "drifted away" from the Constitution.
  • Carly Fiorina: The 2016 presidential candidate said she will support Biden because she believes he is "a person of humility and empathy and character," per The Atlantic.
  • John Kasich: The former Ohio governor and 2016 presidential candidate is not only endorsing Biden, but also speaking at the DNC to support the former vice president.
  • Rick Snyder: The former Michigan governor said he will vote for Biden because "Trump lacks a moral compass" and "ignores the truth."
  • Jeff Flake: The former Arizona senator said in April he would vote for Biden instead of Trump, per CNN.
  • Miles Taylor: The former Department of Homeland Security chief of staff officially endorsed Biden saying, "Even though I'm not a Democrat, even though I disagree on key issues, I'm confident that Joe Biden will protect the country."
  • Tom Ridge: The former Pennsylvania governor said he would be voting for Biden, writing in the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I believe the responsible vote is for Joe Biden...It’s time to put country over party. It’s time to dismiss Donald Trump."
  • Cindy McCain: The widow of the late Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) lent her voice to a video about her husband's friendship with Biden that aired during the Democratic National Convention and formally endorsed the former vice president in September, calling him the "candidate in this race who stands up for our values as a nation."
  • Marc Racicot: The former Montana governor and former chair of the Republican National Committee announced that he would vote for Biden, citing his character and noting that it was "more important than any other issue."
  • Michael Steele: The former chair of the Republican National Committee wrote for NBC News that he was supporting Biden because the 2020 election is "about the course of a nation and the character of her people reflected in the leader they choose."
""""

The list keeps growing.

• Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker: "The governor cannot support Donald Trump for president and is focused on seeing Massachusetts through the pandemic. He’ll leave the election analysis to the pundits," a spokesperson said.
  • Vermont Gov. Phil Scott: He has been a vocal critic of the president, supporting House Democrats' impeachment inquiry and saying earlier this year Trump “shouldn’t be in office." He reaffirmed this summer that he will not support Trump in November.
  • Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan: The frequent Trump critic said that he cast a write-in vote for former President Ronald Reagan because he "thought it was important to just cast a vote that showed the kind of person I’d like to see in office."
  • Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah): The party's 2012 presidential nominee said in February that he will not support Trump shortly after he voted to convict the president on one count in his impeachment trial.
  • John Bolton: Trump's former national security adviser said he will not vote for Biden or Trump and hopes that history remembers Trump "as a one-term president."
  • William H. McRaven: McRaven, who led the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, has publicly criticized the president. He told The New York Times, "This fall, it's time for a new leadership in this country — Republican, Democrat or independent."
Voting for Biden:

• Colin Powell: The former secretary of state under George W. Bush and retired four-star general said that he will support Biden because he believes that Trump has "drifted away" from the Constitution.
  • Carly Fiorina: The 2016 presidential candidate said she will support Biden because she believes he is "a person of humility and empathy and character," per The Atlantic.
  • John Kasich: The former Ohio governor and 2016 presidential candidate is not only endorsing Biden, but also speaking at the DNC to support the former vice president.
  • Rick Snyder: The former Michigan governor said he will vote for Biden because "Trump lacks a moral compass" and "ignores the truth."
  • Jeff Flake: The former Arizona senator said in April he would vote for Biden instead of Trump, per CNN.
  • Miles Taylor: The former Department of Homeland Security chief of staff officially endorsed Biden saying, "Even though I'm not a Democrat, even though I disagree on key issues, I'm confident that Joe Biden will protect the country."
  • Tom Ridge: The former Pennsylvania governor said he would be voting for Biden, writing in the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I believe the responsible vote is for Joe Biden...It’s time to put country over party. It’s time to dismiss Donald Trump."
  • Cindy McCain: The widow of the late Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) lent her voice to a video about her husband's friendship with Biden that aired during the Democratic National Convention and formally endorsed the former vice president in September, calling him the "candidate in this race who stands up for our values as a nation."
  • Marc Racicot: The former Montana governor and former chair of the Republican National Committee announced that he would vote for Biden, citing his character and noting that it was "more important than any other issue."
  • Michael Steele: The former chair of the Republican National Committee wrote for NBC News that he was supporting Biden because the 2020 election is "about the course of a nation and the character of her people reflected in the leader they choose."
""""

The list keeps growing.

Voting for Biden:

""""

They have a conscience and they know right from wrong. Country over party. Brave folks. Good for them.

Mac: Trump supporters are evil. Can I hump your leg, Democrat brother?

That is your template. All posts from you follow that pedestrian logic

There is a movement of voters who are surfacing these days (I assume this is legitimate) who make the following claim:

Somebody please explain to me how anyone who is a Republican can read or be aware of the Democrat platform for 2020, and vote for Joe Biden.

I see one possibility...I disagree with it, but I understand it...Republicans are turned off by Donald Trump's personality and manner, and don't want to vote for him.

But that is a reason not to vote. How can anyone who claims to be a Republican see the Democrat platform and not be totally repulsed by it?

I don't get it.
Trump's personality and manner suck, but even if he was a likable, genial person, there would be plenty of reason to dump that fool.

I'm a Democrat but I'm voting for Trump this time

It will not die if we can get rid of the corrupt McConnell Senate!

Are you sure? In 2009, the reason why we didn't get a good Health Care Reform package, was because guys like Joe Lieberman (D-Israel) and Webb and a few others opposed things like a public option and a Medicare Buy in. And even though the Democrats had a large majority, they refused to end the filibuster.

So even if they get the majority and end the filibuster this time, you'll still have 51 egos larger than life making legislation in the Senate.

You forgot about Grassley and Max Baucus. Grassley came right out, voted against it. Lieberman’s wave was an Insurance lobbyist and Joe became one. Max Baucus left to become an Ambassador.

All 3 needed to be run out of town on a rail Grassley is still there voting on farm bills to help his million dollar farm.

BTW, I think Diane Feinstein needs to go ,too,after her horrible performance hugging Lindsey Graham and complimenting him.

Are you sure? In 2009, the reason why we didn't get a good Health Care Reform package, was because guys like Joe Lieberman (D-Israel) and Webb and a few others opposed things like a public option and a Medicare Buy in. And even though the Democrats had a large majority, they refused to end the filibuster.

So even if they get the majority and end the filibuster this time, you'll still have 51 egos larger than life making legislation in the Senate.

You forgot about Grassley and Max Baucus. Grassley came right out, voted against it. Lieberman’s wave was an Insurance lobbyist and Joe became one. Max Baucus left to become an Ambassador.

All 3 needed to be run out of town on a rail Grassley is still there voting on farm bills to help his million dollar farm.

BTW, I think Diane Feinstein needs to go ,too,after her horrible performance hugging Lindsey Graham and complimenting him.

You're just lost in hate, huh? You want even the most leftist Democrats removed if they are civil

I don't get it.

They're Democrats. Democrats have this bizarre belief that if they claim they are Republicans but they are voting for Democrats they will persuade other Republicans to vote for Democrats. It's stupid. But so is everything Democrats say

That does not hold water. All the life long Republicans who refuse to back Trump are Republicans who believe in small government, low taxes and balanced budgets.

Trump is not a Republican. He is a con man,using your party To destroy everything in sight. Good or bad. Smart Republicans know this. The reason they are voting for Biden

I don't get it.

That does not hold water. All the life long Republicans who refuse to back Trump are Republicans who believe in small government, low taxes and balanced budgets.

Trump is not a Republican. He is a con man,using your party To destroy everything in sight. Good or bad. Smart Republicans know this. The reason they are voting for Biden

I always like a leftist Democrat telling me who's a Republican, LOL.

I'm a Democrat, you're not a real one. Real Democrats are voting for Trump this time

You're just lost in hate, huh? You want even the most leftist Democrats removed if they are civil
No, hate is Trump’s bag, not mine. Lindsey made a mockery of the hearing. You do not congratulate someone for destroying an Institution.

I don't get it.

I'm a Democrat, you're not a real one. Real Democrats are voting for Trump this time

You disagree With what Republicans have stood for?

My Dad was a died in the wool Democrat. He also believed in keeping his word. He would despise what his party is today.

No, hate is Trump’s bag, not mine. Lindsey made a mockery of the hearing. You do not congratulate someone for destroying an Institution.

You clearly said hate is your bag when you said DiFi should be removed for being civil. Buy a mirror, what you will see is not pretty

I don't get it.

I am a life long moderate Democrat.

I don't get it.

My Dad was a died in the wool Democrat. He also believed in keeping his word. He would despise what his party is today.

Republicans are pretty useless. But Democrats have lost their minds. I have lived in many major cities that I loved and am now afraid to return to. Democrats are advocating the moronic "Green New Deal." Which is a century from our technological capabilities.

And as you so clearly stated, you're such total scumbags you can't even allow a Democrat to be civil to a Republican.

How would your dad have felt about that? Remove someone from office for simply being civil?

You clearly said hate is your bag when you said DiFi should be removed for being civil. Buy a mirror, what you will see is not pretty

I believe in truth. Feinstein was not speaking truth.

As to your opinion of me.Ffft!

I don't get it.

I am a life long moderate Democrat.

When you advocate removing Democrats from office for being civil, no, you are not "moderate." You're a nut bag

You want to destroy Republicans, not work with them. You directly stated that. It had nothing to do with "truth," she was simply being civil. And for that you call for her removal. It's clear what you are and that you're driven by hate

I use to have a friend like you, and he was educated in history and politics, much like you appear to be from your replies.
The problem with both my friend and apparently you as well, is that you sound like an educated idiot.
Based on most all the replies youve made in this thread alone, it shows how you have a twisted outlook.
If the entire world was living in peace and harmony, and we all ate rainbow ice cream, you still wouldnt be happy.

Since you are new here, I'm going to give you the JoeB backstory.

Graduated from UIC in 1985, then went Active Duty Army for another six years (Was in for five years during my college time.)

In the 1980's, I was probably more right wing than you are. Then again, was affiliated with the military, and Reagan and Bush were good for the military.

Got out in 1992 at the rank of Staff Sergeant after the Gulf War, which I thought was a farce, but still voted for Bush-41 because Perot was nuts and Clinton was a sleaze. Voted for Dole and Bush-43 as well.

Then in 2007, I had a serious medical issue, and spent a year fighting with my insurance company and my employer. And despite a great work record and having seniority, my employer pretty much screwed me over. My boss boasted, "That's why I am glad I don't have to deal with a union."

Pretty much realized at that point, that the only real struggle isn't over religion or who gets to marry who or the stuff I used to get upset about. It was the struggle between the working class and the investor class. And despite having some investments, I am clearly working class. I ended 2008 with a massive reduction in pay with my new job, a busted 401K and an underwater mortgage. The fact Bush wasn't banging his interns was no consolation.

Now, that said... in 2008, I still voted for McCain. Because he was a man of honor and integrity, even if I didn't agree with him all the time. Obama was inexperienced and frankly, I really didn't like some of the company he kept.

but the GOP wasn't interested in helping folks like me, they were looking out for the Bankers that got us into this mess.

So we get going into 2012, the Republicans, instead of trying to get right with working class folks, instead doubled down on the worship of Greed and the exaltation of Religious Crazy. They nominated the Crazy Mormon and I was pretty much out at that point.

I realized abortion really doesn't matter. It has no effect on my life. Or Gay Marriage. Or whether or not a Tranny can run in a marathon. All the fake moral panics don't really matter to my pocketbook.

Which brings us to Trump. Trump dropped all the pretense and just appealled directly to the worst bigotry of the GOP base. And a lot of Republicans who should have known better went along with it hoping they could achieve their objectives of screwing the working class to benefit the investor class. He's not a well man, and everyone around him knows it.

Meanwhile, the GOP has become so invested in his cult that McCain is despised, the Bushes are despised, even Reagan probably wouldn't be welcome at this point. (Seriously, he gave illegals amnesty. HERESY in the cult of Trump.)

Someday I might vote for Republicans again, but I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me.

I don't get it.

Republicans are pretty useless. But Democrats have lost their minds. I have lived in many major cities that I loved and am now afraid to return to. Democrats are advocating the moronic "Green New Deal." Which is a century from our technological capabilities.

And as you so clearly stated, you're such total scumbags you can't even allow a Democrat to be civil to a Republican.

How would your dad have felt about that? Remove someone from office for simply being civil?

I did not say remove, I want her to retire.

i already said how I feel about the green new deal. They lost!

But it is asinine to think we do not need clean energy for the future. Oil companies are already doing just that. Companies all over The world are changing. We are not in the 1950’s anymore.

You want to destroy Republicans, not work with them. You directly stated that. It had nothing to do with "truth," she was simply being civil. And for that you call for her removal. It's clear what you are and that you're driven by hate

I love how you twist words. Smart Republicans are leaving the Trump idiocy behind. I welcome each one. Democrats welcome inclusion.

I don't get it.
Ethics and character voters, sick of the lies and divisive BS.
He inappropriately touches children and assaults his SS wives. He has been accused of shoving his fingers in one of his aides.
Biden lies all the freakin time.
Biden threatens to fight civilians who disagree with him and tells the other side to kiss his ass.
You must not have been born in TN. Tennesseans usually have more intellectual honesty than this.

But did he brag about grabbing them by the p****? You guys believe any story you are told. We actually heard Trump say that!
These arent stories. Video evidence. Court records. Federal records. Good gawd, woman.

I use to have a friend like you, and he was educated in history and politics, much like you appear to be from your replies.
The problem with both my friend and apparently you as well, is that you sound like an educated idiot.
Based on most all the replies youve made in this thread alone, it shows how you have a twisted outlook.
If the entire world was living in peace and harmony, and we all ate rainbow ice cream, you still wouldnt be happy.

Since you are new here, I'm going to give you the JoeB backstory.

Graduated from UIC in 1985, then went Active Duty Army for another six years (Was in for five years during my college time.)

In the 1980's, I was probably more right wing than you are. Then again, was affiliated with the military, and Reagan and Bush were good for the military.

Got out in 1992 at the rank of Staff Sergeant after the Gulf War, which I thought was a farce, but still voted for Bush-41 because Perot was nuts and Clinton was a sleaze. Voted for Dole and Bush-43 as well.

Then in 2007, I had a serious medical issue, and spent a year fighting with my insurance company and my employer. And despite a great work record and having seniority, my employer pretty much screwed me over. My boss boasted, "That's why I am glad I don't have to deal with a union."

Pretty much realized at that point, that the only real struggle isn't over religion or who gets to marry who or the stuff I used to get upset about. It was the struggle between the working class and the investor class. And despite having some investments, I am clearly working class. I ended 2008 with a massive reduction in pay with my new job, a busted 401K and an underwater mortgage. The fact Bush wasn't banging his interns was no consolation.

Now, that said... in 2008, I still voted for McCain. Because he was a man of honor and integrity, even if I didn't agree with him all the time. Obama was inexperienced and frankly, I really didn't like some of the company he kept.

but the GOP wasn't interested in helping folks like me, they were looking out for the Bankers that got us into this mess.

So we get going into 2012, the Republicans, instead of trying to get right with working class folks, instead doubled down on the worship of Greed and the exaltation of Religious Crazy. They nominated the Crazy Mormon and I was pretty much out at that point.

I realized abortion really doesn't matter. It has no effect on my life. Or Gay Marriage. Or whether or not a Tranny can run in a marathon. All the fake moral panics don't really matter to my pocketbook.

Which brings us to Trump. Trump dropped all the pretense and just appealled directly to the worst bigotry of the GOP base. And a lot of Republicans who should have known better went along with it hoping they could achieve their objectives of screwing the working class to benefit the investor class. He's not a well man, and everyone around him knows it.

Meanwhile, the GOP has become so invested in his cult that McCain is despised, the Bushes are despised, even Reagan probably wouldn't be welcome at this point. (Seriously, he gave illegals amnesty. HERESY in the cult of Trump.)

Someday I might vote for Republicans again, but I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me.

Thanks for someone Who lived and thought things through. I admired John McCain. He was a man of integrity.

i still remember Steve Schmidt foisting Palin on him. I did not vote for Obama the first time for the same reason you did not. But he proved me wrong. I gladly voted for him The next time

McCain in his last vote, proved his character. Knowing he had the best health care in the world refused to take it away from millions. Now it is on the line again. Trump and Republicans have wasted 10 years trying to kill it.

Lindsey Graham may yet succeed. Cindy McCain is backing Joe Biden. McCain’s friend.

Forum List

Back