CDZ I am For Picture ID For Voting

What's the problem? This is nothing more than a way to divide people. If states wanted to enact this they could have long ago. Everyone that votes has to register to vote. You give them a photo I.D. when they register. When you go to renew your D.L. you give people a voters I.D. Before long the vast majority of people would have one.

Why is it not done? Then it wouldn't be a wedge issue. Nothing is actually ever done about many wedge issues. Abortion, guns, immigration and this.

The question is asked "why don't we". The only reason we don't is because we don't.

The logic is faulty. Its not a wedge issue or at least it shouldn't be.

So which is it?
Which is what?

You said it was a "wedge" issue. It isn't. Nothing is preventing people from getting a picture ID that allows them to vote. The barriers are in one's mind; not anywhere else.

Nothing OUTSIDE of the fact no one is doing it. There is no law that would stop it. People register to vote all the time. Thousands turn 18 every year. Why aren't they presented with photo voters registration cards?

Because then it is no longer a wedge issue. There is absolutely nothing stopping the states from doing this now.

Agreed. Not sure what youre point is when you said "this is nothing more than a way to divide people".

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
:banghead:
About what?

I hate when people do this. You know exactly what we have been discussing.

Sincerely, I have no idea what you're talking about insofar as municipalities and states not issuing picture voter IDs being a wedge issue. I don't see the connection. If I had to guess about why states don't do it right now it is because most voters have a picture ID already without the added costs of issuing voter registration cards with picture IDs.

So there really isn't a problem. Why do so many make it out to be this big problem?
There isn’t a problem with illegals voting, since the entire system is a fraud. Let them all vote. Makes no difference. The Empire is dying no matter who gets elected.

What's the problem? This is nothing more than a way to divide people. If states wanted to enact this they could have long ago. Everyone that votes has to register to vote. You give them a photo I.D. when they register. When you go to renew your D.L. you give people a voters I.D. Before long the vast majority of people would have one.

Why is it not done? Then it wouldn't be a wedge issue. Nothing is actually ever done about many wedge issues. Abortion, guns, immigration and this.

The question is asked "why don't we". The only reason we don't is because we don't.

So which is it?
Which is what?

You said it was a "wedge" issue. It isn't. Nothing is preventing people from getting a picture ID that allows them to vote. The barriers are in one's mind; not anywhere else.

Nothing OUTSIDE of the fact no one is doing it. There is no law that would stop it. People register to vote all the time. Thousands turn 18 every year. Why aren't they presented with photo voters registration cards?

Because then it is no longer a wedge issue. There is absolutely nothing stopping the states from doing this now.

Agreed. Not sure what youre point is when you said "this is nothing more than a way to divide people".

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

Sincerely, I have no idea what you're talking about insofar as municipalities and states not issuing picture voter IDs being a wedge issue. I don't see the connection. If I had to guess about why states don't do it right now it is because most voters have a picture ID already without the added costs of issuing voter registration cards with picture IDs.

So there really isn't a problem. Why do so many make it out to be this big problem?
There isn’t a problem with illegals voting, since the entire system is a fraud. Let them all vote. Makes no difference. The Empire is dying no matter who gets elected.

That's a bigger picture argument. Lol

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

So, no need to argue about meaningless shit.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

It's something to do while it all falls apart. And yes, it is all falling apart.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

It's something to do while it all falls apart. And yes, it is all falling apart.
Yes, I suppose it’s a way of ignoring the far greater problem.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

That I do not know. I suspect it is some perceived advantage the political right thinks it receives because they don’t count those who may not be willing to register as a demographic. The political left historically enjoys support from these groups—immigrants in particular.

The reason I’m for it is due to the simple wish to make the voting process as modern, accurate, and sterile as possible.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

Strange that this really cut-and-dried benefit to making the electoral process as sterile as possible is flummoxing so many people.

To date; nobody can give a good answer as to why they do not want such safeguards in place except for the supposed undue burden that having a picture taken would impose. BULLDOG did mention that due to C-19 the DMVs are closed and that is a good reason to not require picture ID's this go-round but under normal conditions, the argument from fellow liberals seems to be; "because".

No, it's worse than that. Their argument boils down to "because blacks are too ignorant, and or stupid, to get an ID".

The modern Democrat party is by far the most arrogant, patronizing, racist bunch of people I have ever seen.

If that is the case, you haven’t been reading the posts of your fellow Trump supporters.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

That I do not know. I suspect it is some perceived advantage the political right thinks it receives because they don’t count those who may not be willing to register as a demographic. The political left historically enjoys support from these groups—immigrants in particular.

The reason I’m for it is due to the simple wish to make the voting process as modern, accurate, and sterile as possible.

"Some perceived advantage......."

That was my argument. Create the I.D.'s which they can do but won't and that perceived advantage goes away.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

That was my argument. Create the I.D.'s which they can do but won't and that perceived advantage goes away.

If you say so. I think you're missing the point though of "perceived advantage"--it being that persons who don't trust the police will not risk going to government building to vote much less sign up to vote.

So which is it?
Which is what?

Why isn't it being done?

I do not know.

So I may be right?
About what?

If you say so. I think you're missing the point though of "perceived advantage"--it being that persons who don't trust the police will not risk going to government building to vote much less sign up to vote.

That's the case no matter what.

Our system in place has always worked. There has never been a problem with voter fraud. Ever. There is no evidence to back up the charge that there has been. Nothing, either with people who show up in person at the polls or the ones who vote by mail. This charge itself is a fraud. BTW: what's with shutting down polling places and forcing people, even the elderly and disabled, to queue up in long lines to vote? Every loyal, patriotic American should help others to get out the vote. Voting is the foundation of the USA.

All the more reason that we should have a voting week ending on the traditional election day. Bad weather, long lines, voter mobility, car trouble, etc... all become less of a obstacle to casting your ballot.

Really, what is the problem? You go down to the DMV or County Clerk’s Office or whatever set up your local town or hamlet has and get a photographic ID made so the poll workers can verify your sacred vote is cast by no one other than yourself. As long as there is no charge for the ID, there cannot be a serious allegation made that this is an undue burden to the person who wishes to vote. Nor, as long as it is made available to any and all who wish to seek to register for the picture ID, can one seriously contend that this is some form of voter suppression. I may listen to an argument about forcing someone to do it every year but once every 2-4 years doesn't seem like too much of an imposition to me.

Now, for the record, I’m fully in favor of having federal laws that require states to provide absentee voting prior to the official election day –the Tuesday after the first Monday in November—for at least a week. Voting by mail has been done for nearly 100 years without any issues. Those who think this is a portal to fraud are just not thinking it through. Even more heinous is the position that you have to have a “good reason” to vote absentee; as if it is some sort of business of the State why you feel more comfortable about voting from your living room as opposed to going to the local school house. I am also for standardization of the voting devices as well as the picture ID I sponsored in the first paragraph. Meaning that someone from Peoria who happens to be in Pittsburgh and wishes to vote simply goes to the polling place, swipes their standard uniform voter ID card into the uniform and standardized voting device and their local ballot from Peoria comes up on the screen. They make their selections and go about their merry way just as they would do in person at their high school or fire department.

The resistance to having an ID to vote comes mainly from the left of which I’m a member in good standing in most of the online tests I have taken. I’m for a woman’s right to privacy, oppose Trump, am in favor or equal pay for equal work, am for raising the minimum wage incrementally to $10.00 an hour, am against separating families at the border except as a last resort, support the ACA, etc… However, on this topic, I have to call BS on those who think obtaining a picture ID card to vote is an undue burden or, more troubling, is unnecessary. I covered the “undue burden” argument already. As for the argument that it is not necessary, one should consider that every two years, there are a lot of local initiatives on the same ballot as the federal offices. These “down ballot” races do not get a lot of attention nationally and in some cases even locally. Raising the local tax rate or allowing the City or State to have more power can affect your family for decades. Wouldn’t you want the vote for such laws and ordinances to be of persons from your locality or State? And this is just the bi-annual elections. What about off year and primary races where the turnout is in the hundreds and a few votes cast inaccurately (either by accident or on purpose) can sway who the nominee becomes? Thinking it is unnecessary and reality are two different things.

Whatsmore is this; if we have the tools for accuracy….why not just make it as accurate as possible? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

In general I agree with you.
But I am thinking this is a solution looking for a problem.
I have been voting for over 30 years without needing to show my ID- what has changed- what is different now than when I started voting over 30 years ago? There isn't any evidence of more voter fraud than there was 30 years ago. There are American citizens who have been voting over 50 years without needing to show a picture ID- why is it necessary now?

However if it was decided that picture ID is necessary- then it should be a) free of charge(and that includes free from any charge from states/counties/cities to produce copies of birth certificates or other substantiating documentation) and b) readily available- the state should have offices in every precinct that people can vote in to apply for and get their ID's- and these offices should be open 7 days a week.

I don't see any reason to deny the vote of a single American citizen because they can't afford something, or can't afford to take a day off, or have no means to reach voter ID sites.

Really, what is the problem? You go down to the DMV or County Clerk’s Office or whatever set up your local town or hamlet has and get a photographic ID made so the poll workers can verify your sacred vote is cast by no one other than yourself. As long as there is no charge for the ID, there cannot be a serious allegation made that this is an undue burden to the person who wishes to vote. Nor, as long as it is made available to any and all who wish to seek to register for the picture ID, can one seriously contend that this is some form of voter suppression. I may listen to an argument about forcing someone to do it every year but once every 2-4 years doesn't seem like too much of an imposition to me.

Now, for the record, I’m fully in favor of having federal laws that require states to provide absentee voting prior to the official election day –the Tuesday after the first Monday in November—for at least a week. Voting by mail has been done for nearly 100 years without any issues. Those who think this is a portal to fraud are just not thinking it through. Even more heinous is the position that you have to have a “good reason” to vote absentee; as if it is some sort of business of the State why you feel more comfortable about voting from your living room as opposed to going to the local school house. I am also for standardization of the voting devices as well as the picture ID I sponsored in the first paragraph. Meaning that someone from Peoria who happens to be in Pittsburgh and wishes to vote simply goes to the polling place, swipes their standard uniform voter ID card into the uniform and standardized voting device and their local ballot from Peoria comes up on the screen. They make their selections and go about their merry way just as they would do in person at their high school or fire department.

The resistance to having an ID to vote comes mainly from the left of which I’m a member in good standing in most of the online tests I have taken. I’m for a woman’s right to privacy, oppose Trump, am in favor or equal pay for equal work, am for raising the minimum wage incrementally to $10.00 an hour, am against separating families at the border except as a last resort, support the ACA, etc… However, on this topic, I have to call BS on those who think obtaining a picture ID card to vote is an undue burden or, more troubling, is unnecessary. I covered the “undue burden” argument already. As for the argument that it is not necessary, one should consider that every two years, there are a lot of local initiatives on the same ballot as the federal offices. These “down ballot” races do not get a lot of attention nationally and in some cases even locally. Raising the local tax rate or allowing the City or State to have more power can affect your family for decades. Wouldn’t you want the vote for such laws and ordinances to be of persons from your locality or State? And this is just the bi-annual elections. What about off year and primary races where the turnout is in the hundreds and a few votes cast inaccurately (either by accident or on purpose) can sway who the nominee becomes? Thinking it is unnecessary and reality are two different things.

Whatsmore is this; if we have the tools for accuracy….why not just make it as accurate as possible? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I have been voting for over 30 years without needing to show my ID- what has changed- what is different now than when I started voting over 30 years ago? There isn't any evidence of more voter fraud than there was 30 years ago. There are American citizens who have been voting over 50 years without needing to show a picture ID- why is it necessary now?

However if it was decided that picture ID is necessary- then it should be a) free of charge(and that includes free from any charge from states/counties/cities to produce copies of birth certificates or other substantiating documentation) and b) readily available- the state should have offices in every precinct that people can vote in to apply for and get their ID's- and these offices should be open 7 days a week.

I don't see any reason to deny the vote of a single American citizen because they can't afford something, or can't afford to take a day off, or have no means to reach voter ID sites.

Again;

If you have the tools to make the voting process as sterile as possible; why not use them? In my op I mentioned "as long as there is no charge". We need to expand access to the polls but we also need to make sure only those who are eligible to vote can vote and do so on the proper ballot. A standardized nation-wide picture voter ID card would do that.

“Extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare. Yet repeated, false allegations of fraud can make it harder for millions of eligible Americans to participate in elections.”

And yet Republican lawmakers and most on the right ignore that research, enacting measures such as photo ID laws that indeed make it harder for millions of eligible Americans to participate in elections.

It doesn't make it harder...in fact, to say it makes it harder is actually racist.....you are saying that minorities are too dumb to be able to get free i.d. from the state........

This shows how racist your idea is.....your white privilege is what makes you think that minorities are too dumb or incompetent to get free i.d........

We need voter i.d. and I would even make it mandatory to put purple dye on the fingers of people who vote, to keep them from going to multiple polling places...

Mail in voting should only be for people who can't vote in person......too much chance for democrats to cheat.

Now, for the record, I’m fully in favor of having federal laws that require states to provide absentee voting prior to the official election day –the Tuesday after the first Monday in November—for at least a week.
Absentee ballots can be requested in my state as soon as they are confirmed and printed, an milestone that is usually reached after the Dem and Repub conventions and after all filing deadlines have passed. Absentee ballots must be requested by the absentee voter and are quite different from the left's plan to blanket their states with mail-in ballots akin to dropping them like confetti from a low flying cargo plane...and then demanding that each ballot be counted no matter how or when it gets to election officials.

A "recent" election allowing mail-in ballots in New York occurred SIX WEEKS AGO and still has not be determined.
I agree....

Voting should only be allowed when a verifiable ID showing citizenship can be presented (either to vote at the poll, or to pick up an absentee ballot)...

No verifiable ID, no vote!!!
Persons have been voting by mail for about a century. There have been very few issues.
Yes. Those have all involved absentee ballots.

Our system in place has always worked. There has never been a problem with voter fraud. Ever. There is no evidence to back up the charge that there has been. Nothing, either with people who show up in person at the polls or the ones who vote by mail. This charge itself is a fraud. BTW: what's with shutting down polling places and forcing people, even the elderly and disabled, to queue up in long lines to vote? Every loyal, patriotic American should help others to get out the vote. Voting is the foundation of the USA.

All the more reason that we should have a voting week ending on the traditional election day. Bad weather, long lines, voter mobility, car trouble, etc... all become less of a obstacle to casting your ballot.
Here in my state, early voting begins October 12th this year. I plan to vote on Oct 13th....in person...with a photo ID...(my DL or passport)

Again;

If you have the tools to make the voting process as sterile as possible; why not use them? In my op I mentioned "as long as there is no charge". We need to expand access to the polls but we also need to make sure only those who are eligible to vote can vote and do so on the proper ballot. A standardized nation-wide picture voter ID card would do that.

Several forms of photo ID are accepted here. The only voters needing to obtain a new photo ID would be those that do not have a DL or a current passport or a current government issued photo ID. There is no reason to required all voters to have a special government issued voter ID.
We need voter i.d. and I would even make it mandatory to put purple dye on the fingers of people who vote, to keep them from going to multiple polling places...

Mail in voting should only be for people who can't vote in person......too much chance for democrats to cheat.
Democrats will still find ways to promote voter fraud. There was a recent claim on Twitter about some Dem that voted in Alabama, then sent a bus to Mississippi, picked up a load of voters and brought them to Alabama to vote fraudulently.

....which brings me to the article I came here to post:

Please read the entire article. It's about Alabama and free photo IDs.

Absentee ballots can be requested in my state as soon as they are confirmed and printed, an milestone that is usually reached after the Dem and Repub conventions and after all filing deadlines have passed. Absentee ballots must be requested by the absentee voter and are quite different from the left's plan to blanket their states with mail-in ballots akin to dropping them like confetti from a low flying cargo plane...and then demanding that each ballot be counted no matter how or when it gets to election officials.
That is off the topic of the thread. It's also a hysterical and not surprisingly false account of what some states are doing.

A "recent" election allowing mail-in ballots in New York occurred SIX WEEKS AGO and still has not be determined.
So? There is plenty of time between 11/3 and when the electors meet to certify the election.

Yes. Those have all involved absentee ballots.
Absentee ballots and voting by mail is fine.

I feel that when you do have to go get your new picture ID to vote in the upcoming midterm or Presidential election, you update your information, signature, etc... That too will help sterilize the process.

Here in my state, early voting begins October 12th this year. I plan to vote on Oct 13th....in person...with a photo ID...(my DL or passport)
With the advent of Covid 19, some states have expanded their early voting. Texas for one.

Several forms of photo ID are accepted here. The only voters needing to obtain a new photo ID would be those that do not have a DL or a current passport or a current government issued photo ID. There is no reason to required all voters to have a special government issued voter ID.
It would standardize the process and remove ANY ambiguity. Good reasons to go forward with it.

The geometry would be much larger. If you happen to be a trucker or traveling salesman or simply have a flat tire or are in quarantine or dozens of other reasons and you can't make it to your district to cast your ballot, you take your standardized national super duper voter ID card to the local polling place, have it verified by the relic behind the counter, swipe your card in the machine, and the ballot for your house pops up. You make your choices and go on your way.

The goals are to have more people voting and have the elections be as secure as possible. Both are achievable and both are in the great traditions of America; expansion of opportunity.

That is off the topic of the thread. It's also a hysterical and not surprisingly false account of what some states are doing.
No it is not off topic. I was clarifying your ambiguous statement that could infer to some that you think absentee ballot voting and the proposed mail-in voting are the same. Though they both involve mailing the ballot to the election officials, the absentee ballot has to be requested by the voter, mailed to the voter, and returned by the voter.

With mass mail-in voting, ballots are sent all over the state and returned either by mail or in some states by way of ballot harvesting.

Big difference.

So? There is plenty of time between 11/3 and when the electors meet to certify the election.
The 6 week (ongoing) delay in New York relates to a 12th District Primary Race. Can you imagine how screwed up a Presidential election could get with inconsistent mail in voting on every state?

With the advent of Covid 19, some states have expanded their early voting. Texas for one.
As they should.

The geometry would be much larger. If you happen to be a trucker or traveling salesman or simply have a flat tire or are in quarantine or dozens of other reasons and you can't make it to your district to cast your ballot, you take your standardized national super duper voter ID card to the local polling place, have it verified by the relic behind the counter, swipe your card in the machine, and the ballot for your house pops up. You make your choices and go on your way.

Such a system would require nationwide connection of all state's precinct's voting systems, a nightmare in the making.

Last edited:
No it is not off topic. I was clarifying you ambiguous statement that could infer to some that you think absentee ballot voting and the proposed mail-in voting are the same. Though they both involve mailing the ballot to the election officials, the absentee ballot has to be requested by the voter, mailed to the voter, and returned by the voter.

With mass mail-n voting, ballots are sent all over the state and returned either by mail or in some states by way of ballot harvesting.

Big difference.
As for voter ID laws and requiring picture ID to vote in elections; it's off topic. But welcome none the less.

Fear of "ballot harvesting" is about the same as worrying about a meteorite hitting your house.

The 6 week (ongoing) delay in New York relates to a 12th District Primary Race. Can you imagine how screwed up a Presidential election could get with inconsistent mail in voting on every state?

It'll be fine. All the more reason to expand early voting uniformly across the nation; have a hard and fast ratio between polling places and populations (or registered voters if you prefer) which includes the number of balloting devices if they are in use--which they should be; and an increase in vote-by-mail. Standardize the rules across the nation, make it easy to understand and insist on picture ID when voting in person. As long as they are free; there isn't an undue burden.

Such a system would require nationwide connection of all state's precinct's voting systems, a nightmare in the making.

Hardly. It would require cooperation and a new less crazy approach to voting. Two things republicans can't do.

As for voter ID laws and requiring picture ID to vote in elections; it's off topic. But welcome none the less.
No it is not off topic. Your topic relates to photo ID to vote in elections. Photo ID is not required for absentee voting or for mass mail-in voting. You brought up absentee balloting and mail-in voting in your OP.
Fear of "ballot harvesting" is about the same as worrying about a meteorite hitting your house.
Not so. Ballot harvesting has already been used to stuff ballot boxes and magically produce boxes of "misplaced" ballots. Here's just one article on the shanannigans that accompany ballot harvesting.

It'll be fine. All the more reason to expand early voting uniformly across the nation; have a hard and fast ratio between polling places and populations (or registered voters if you prefer) which includes the number of balloting devices if they are in use--which they should be; and an increase in vote-by-mail. Standardize the rules across the nation, make it easy to understand and insist on picture ID when voting in person. As long as they are free; there isn't an undue burden.
You're treading on States Rights now.
Hardly. It would require cooperation and a new less crazy approach to voting. Two things republicans can't do.
The scenario you described had a truck driver stopping in one state and immediately obtaining a ballot from his precinct in another state. That would include ALL political races and referendums/propositions on the ballot in the truck driver's precinct. Using voting machines to accomplish this would expose the system to errors and fraud. As I said, a nightmare.

Forum List

Back