I am applying for a license to carry

Why?
What use is more than one?
and since those purposes are only to kill
again
Why more than one?
and
What were the drivers prompting you to buy multiple firearms?
Have those drivers disappeared and if they have, why do you still own multiple firearms?

You see, I doubt your comment's veracity because all it will take to get you to buy more is to hit your trigger, as it were.
No tool is perfect for every job. Just go to a decent hardware store and look at all the different hammers. Different tools for different jobs. Small pistol for concealed carry, powerful pistol for quickly disabling a target. Small caliber pistol for practice/competitive shooting. Different gauge shotguns for hunting different game, short barreled shotgun (legal length of course) for home defense. Small caliber rifle for range shooting/competition. I can go on and on. Do you get the point?

Not true.
There is no VALID interpretation of the words present in the 2nd that speak to a right to use a firearm in self
defense.

That "right" goes back to the common law and the original castle doctrine. However the NRA and GOP have twisted the meanings of these traditions with gun spreading legislation over the last 20 years in order to protect "law abiding" gun owners from their own stupidity.
Wrong.

The Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court – including the Second Amendment.

And Second Amendment jurisprudence holds that there is an individual right to possess a firearm pursuant to lawful self-defense, unconnected to militia service.

Of course you do. You want to dismiss the data that shows a gun in the house is a threat to your family, much as you wish to dismiss everything that runs contrary to your preferred beliefs.
It’s willful ignorance and idiocy to not acknowledge the fact that a gun in the home is more likely to kill the homeowner and/or family members than an intruder.

It’s likewise idiotic to refer to that fact as ‘justification’ to oppose citizens possessing guns in the home.

It’s willful ignorance and idiocy...
... says the known liar.
to not acknowledge the fact that a gun in the home is more likely to kill the homeowner and/or family members than an intruder.
^^^^
This is a willful misrepresentation of fact -- and thus, a lie.
From a known liar.
The fact a gun in the home is unliklely to be used to kill an intruder is absolutely and utterly meaningless.

OH CUT THE CRAP

SHOW me ONE SINGLE LEGITIMATE use of a firearm that does not involve killing.
BTW,
the threat to kill is still killing.
target practice is practicing killing

That's why issuing a threat with a firearm in hand is a much more serious crime than doing so empty handed.
Target shooting at a silhouette target could be considered practice for legitimate self defense using a firearm. The object of shooting an attacker in legitimate self defense is not to kill him but to stop his attack. A high percentage of bad guys shot with a handgun while attacking an armed good guy survive if they get medical attention reasonably quickly.

1634783514736.jpeg

Shooting at a bullseye target is shooting for score, similar in many ways to archery. (Of course you will argue that the only use of a bow and arrow is to kill.)

***snip***

Today, formal bullseye competition in the U.S. is governed by the National Rifle Association and called NRA Precision Pistol. The actual shooting challenge is quite simple. Stand at the firing line, hold the pistol in one hand, and fire 5- or 10-shot strings at different ranges and under different time limits.

When space permits, targets are at 50 and 25 yards. Slow Fire at 50 yards allows 10 minutes to fire 10 shots. Timed Fire at 25 yards is five shots in 20 seconds. Rapid Fire at 25 yards is five shots in 10 seconds.

About now all the action shooters are having a hearty laugh at the definition of Rapid Fire. Five shots in one second is more like it. Well, maybe, but don’t forget it’s at 25 yards and the 10-ring measures 3.36″, the tie-breaking X ring measures 1.695″. I’ve known plenty of blazing fast action shooters who at 25 yards couldn’t hit the 10-ring except by chance — if they could hit the target at all.

Three categories of handguns are recognized. These are .22 LR, “any centerfire” — minimum caliber .32 or 7.65mm, and .45 ACP. Optical sights are permitted. Matches for .22 LR-only are quite popular. A match generally consists of 30 shots — slow, timed and rapid fire — for a total of 90 shots and a maximum of 900 points.

Major matches require 90 shots with each of the three categories of handgun, for a maximum of 2,700 points — which has never been achieved in all the decades of competition. The current record, 2680-159X, was set by Hershel Anderson in 1974.]

1634784077988.jpeg

Before it closed the Tampa Police Pistol Range required civilians to use bullseye targets. Police used silhouette targets. That range was the home of the Midwinter Pistol Match For many years.

Issuing a threat with any weapon is usually considered more serious than an empty handed threat. For example threatening a person with a knife.

Of course you have no idea how challenging shooting can be. Most people feel all you have to do is point the weapon and pull the trigger and you will hit what you are aiming at. Target shooting is not quite that simple.

I doubt with your prejudice against firearms you will be interested but perhaps others will be. The link below leads to a fascinating set of articles about the zen of bullseye pistol shooting.

Zen in the Art of Pistol Shooting
Foreword by John Dreyer

Introduction

Volumes of material have been written about acquiring proper physical technique and mental discipline in precision pistol shooting. I have found that most are tremendously valuable to any serious competitor and do a good job of describing the mechanics and philosophy of shooting. However, very few truly explored the ongoing tremendous internal battle of the competitor or the many other spiritual aspects of the sport.

In my journey from Marksman to Master, I learned a great deal about not only punching holes in paper, but about myself and my perception of life itself. Because I was unable to put together the words to relate my experiences, I sought for credible written works that properly illustrated my discoveries both on and off the range. As a result, I collected and dissected over fifty books plus almost that many articles from periodicals and other media on a variety of aspects of life and shooting. After almost a year of research and reflection, I was finally able to assemble that massive and mysterious puzzle of intellect and emotion that encompassed life both on and off the range. Surprisingly, the final piece of my puzzle turned out to be an incredibly simple way of looking at life, an ancient Eastern philosophy called Zen, a Japanese subset of Buddhist tradition.

Shooting as a Zen Art

Deceptively simple in appearance, yet vastly complex is the art of pistol shooting. Without question, its mechanics are simple. As Bill Joyner explains, "Create a machine rest with your stance, grip and breath control. Then with the gun in the machine rest, apply [trigger] pressure directly to the rear until the hammer falls." Attaining the physical prowess to accomplish this task is one thing. However, the mind's influence makes the process a bit more difficult. As Frank Higginson has said, "In shooting, you learn more about yourself than any other sport." This self-discovery that exists in shooting is nothing more than Zen itself.

While you may have thought of Zen as distant and mysterious, bear with me while I present it here in a series of diverse articles for you to explore. I encourage you to set aside any preconceived notions you have about Zen and check out these works. At minimum, you will gain insight into an aspect of competitive shooting that you may never have considered before

... says the known liar.

^^^^
This is a willful misrepresentation of fact -- and thus, a lie.
From a known liar.
The fact a gun in the home is unliklely to be used to kill an intruder is absolutely and utterly meaningless.
Without mentioning the type of firearm in the home the statement that a firearm in the home is unlikely to be used to kill an intruder is meaningless.

Many home invaders are not killed but survive being shot by the home owner if he uses a handgun. Handguns are not as lethal as they are portrayed to be in the movies or on TV. A shotgun loaded with proper ammo is much more lethal.

I have been carrying for quite a long time.

I am also a firearms instructor and range officer.

My advice to you:

1. Learn how to shoot the damn thing! Go to the range and practice, practice, practice. If you don't have a background in firearms take a class. I am not talking about a basic class but a skills enhancement class.

2. Get a pistol with a safety.

3. Try to avoid using the gun. Once you take it out your life could change forever. Make sure that if you do use it then it is a real life threatening situation.

4. Get a good concealed holster. Practice drawing and firing a lot.

5. For actual carry ammo buy some top quality like Hornady Critical Defense. Don't use range ammo for carry.

6. For carry don't buy any caliber less than 9mm.

7. Don't buy a cheap carry pistol. Buy something reliable like a Sig 365. If money is an issue then a M&P Shield is reliable and fairly inexpensive. That is about as cheap as you want to go.
Revolvers are not as popular for concealed carry today but they can have advantages. I carry a .38 +P S&W Model 642 snub nosed revolver. Of course at age 75 I am a dinosaur.

1634789705928.jpeg

Some call it a belly gun as you can jam it into an attackers belly, pull the trigger and it will fire. If you try that with a pistol it will not fire. You can also shoot this weapon from inside a coat pocket.

The model 642 has a stiff recoil if loaded with 38+P ammo and is double action only which most shooters find more difficult to master than single action shooting. However double action shooting is more appropriate for self defense work than cocking your handgun and firing it single action. The heavy trigger pull will help deter a prosecuting attorney from claiming you shot someone accidentally.

Why All Defensive Revolvers Should be Double Action Only

OH CUT THE CRAP

SHOW me ONE SINGLE LEGITIMATE use of a firearm that does not involve killing.
BTW,
the threat to kill is still killing.
target practice is practicing killing

That's why issuing a threat with a firearm in hand is a much more serious crime than doing so empty handed.

Why are all of you anti-gun extremists so mentally deranged?

Moron...

Lancaster Woman Scares Off Bat-Wielding Attackers By Pulling Gun On Them

LANCASTER, Ohio - It happened along a walking path in Lancaster.

Dinah Burns is licensed to carry a concealed gun, but she'd only recently started taking her weapon while walking her dog.

Based on what happened, it looks like she'll make a point of carrying from now on.

"I think if they'd gotten any closer, I probably would have fired,” said Burns.

It was Monday when Burns was on a footpath near Sanderson Elementary School.

"Two gentlemen came out of the woods, one holding a baseball bat, and said 'You're coming with us'."

The men weren't deterred by Dinah's dog Gracie.

"I said, 'Well, what do you want?,' and as I was saying that I reached in to my pocket and slipped my gun out, slipped the safety off as I pulled it out. As I was doing that the other gentleman came toward me and raised the baseball bat. And, I pointed the gun at them and said, 'I have this and I'm not afraid to use it.'"

The men took off and so far have eluded police. Dinah posted about the incident on Facebook to alert friends and neighbors, to criticism by some.

"Most of the males' opinion was, 'Why didn't you shoot them?'"

Easy to second-guess a decision made under pressure, based on her concealed carry training, and police agree.

"To get out of a situation, back out, get out of it as much as you can without having to discharge your firearm."

"I will say it's a good thing to go from a place of danger to a place of safety, however you get that done,” said Sgt. Matt Chambers, Lancaster Police.

"Very thankful that it turned out the way it did, and hope it doesn't happen again, but I will be prepared."
========

CCW IN ACTION: Armed 22-Year-Old Woman Stops Three Men Attempting To Rob Her In Store Parking Lot – Concealed Nation

OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA — A concealed carrier successfully thwarted the efforts of three men to rob her late at night outside a Dollar Tree. According to police reports from the scene, the woman was exiting the Dollar Tree and heading to her car when she was approached by a man and asked to walk with him. When she refused, he point-blank told her he was going to rob her of her purse.

At this point, according to KOCO, she was presented by two other men backing up the first. She withdrew her concealed carry pistol from her purse and threatened to use it to protect herself. All three men quickly exited and fled the scene.
===========
Woman Scares off Assailant With Stick. Just Kidding, it was a gun.

Just before 7pm on Wednesday night, a 29 year-old woman had gathered up her dog and headed outside to… well, to let her dog do what dogs do.

Upon her first step outside her Minot, North Dakota home, she was hit solidly in the face with a blunt object, knocking her backward down the stairs and into her home.

Her assailant followed her into her home and started to approach her, but the woman had made it to a cabinet where she retrieved a handgun to protect herself and her home.

When confronted with the firearm, the violent intruder and would-be robber/rapist/murderer fled the scene.

The smart, independent, gun-owning woman did not require medical attention, most likely due to the fact that she was able to pull a weapon on her assailant to end the attack.

==============

Revolvers are not as popular for concealed carry today but they can have advantages. I carry a .38 +P S&W Model 642 snub nosed revolver. Of course at age 75 I am a dinosaur.

View attachment 554419

Some call it a belly gun as you can jam it into an attackers belly, pull the trigger and it will fire. If you try that with a pistol it will not fire. You can also shoot this weapon from inside a coat pocket.

The model 642 has a stiff recoil if loaded with 38+P ammo and is double action only which most shooters find more difficult to master than single action shooting. However double action shooting is more appropriate for self defense work than cocking your handgun and firing it single action. The heavy trigger pull will help deter a prosecuting attorney from claiming you shot someone accidentally.

Why All Defensive Revolvers Should be Double Action Only
I'm just a youngin compared to you at 74.

A lot of people like a little snub nose revolver for concealed carry.

I personally have absolutely nothing against hunting but never have had any involvement with it.
Same here. I would like to hunt moose or caribou one day, but the jackass Democrats and RINOs from my hometown went to court to revoke my rights as soon as they learned I possessed firearms.

No tool is perfect for every job. Just go to a decent hardware store and look at all the different hammers. Different tools for different jobs. Small pistol for concealed carry, powerful pistol for quickly disabling a target. Small caliber pistol for practice/competitive shooting. Different gauge shotguns for hunting different game, short barreled shotgun (legal length of course) for home defense. Small caliber rifle for range shooting/competition. I can go on and on. Do you get the point?
Sure.

You want to have multiple choices available when you decide to kill someone.

And Second Amendment jurisprudence holds that there is an individual right to possess a firearm pursuant to lawful self-defense, unconnected to militia service.
Which, of course, is a bastardization of the 2nd Amendment. Another amendment should have been passed.

Wrong.

The Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court – including the Second Amendment.

Heller 2010.

Will be overturned as soon as people who can actually read take over the court.

The words "self defense" are mentioned NOWHERE in the constitution BUT the word MILITIA is.

Target shooting at a silhouette target could be considered practice for legitimate self defense using a firearm. The object of shooting an attacker in legitimate self defense is not to kill him but to stop his attack. A high percentage of bad guys shot with a handgun while attacking an armed good guy survive if they get medical attention reasonably quickly.

View attachment 554368

Shooting at a bullseye target is shooting for score, similar in many ways to archery. (Of course you will argue that the only use of a bow and arrow is to kill.)

***snip***

Today, formal bullseye competition in the U.S. is governed by the National Rifle Association and called NRA Precision Pistol. The actual shooting challenge is quite simple. Stand at the firing line, hold the pistol in one hand, and fire 5- or 10-shot strings at different ranges and under different time limits.

When space permits, targets are at 50 and 25 yards. Slow Fire at 50 yards allows 10 minutes to fire 10 shots. Timed Fire at 25 yards is five shots in 20 seconds. Rapid Fire at 25 yards is five shots in 10 seconds.

About now all the action shooters are having a hearty laugh at the definition of Rapid Fire. Five shots in one second is more like it. Well, maybe, but don’t forget it’s at 25 yards and the 10-ring measures 3.36″, the tie-breaking X ring measures 1.695″. I’ve known plenty of blazing fast action shooters who at 25 yards couldn’t hit the 10-ring except by chance — if they could hit the target at all.

Three categories of handguns are recognized. These are .22 LR, “any centerfire” — minimum caliber .32 or 7.65mm, and .45 ACP. Optical sights are permitted. Matches for .22 LR-only are quite popular. A match generally consists of 30 shots — slow, timed and rapid fire — for a total of 90 shots and a maximum of 900 points.

Major matches require 90 shots with each of the three categories of handgun, for a maximum of 2,700 points — which has never been achieved in all the decades of competition. The current record, 2680-159X, was set by Hershel Anderson in 1974.]

View attachment 554377
Before it closed the Tampa Police Pistol Range required civilians to use bullseye targets. Police used silhouette targets. That range was the home of the Midwinter Pistol Match For many years.

Issuing a threat with any weapon is usually considered more serious than an empty handed threat. For example threatening a person with a knife.

Of course you have no idea how challenging shooting can be. Most people feel all you have to do is point the weapon and pull the trigger and you will hit what you are aiming at. Target shooting is not quite that simple.

I doubt with your prejudice against firearms you will be interested but perhaps others will be. The link below leads to a fascinating set of articles about the zen of bullseye pistol shooting.

Zen in the Art of Pistol Shooting
Foreword by John Dreyer

Introduction

Volumes of material have been written about acquiring proper physical technique and mental discipline in precision pistol shooting. I have found that most are tremendously valuable to any serious competitor and do a good job of describing the mechanics and philosophy of shooting. However, very few truly explored the ongoing tremendous internal battle of the competitor or the many other spiritual aspects of the sport.

In my journey from Marksman to Master, I learned a great deal about not only punching holes in paper, but about myself and my perception of life itself. Because I was unable to put together the words to relate my experiences, I sought for credible written works that properly illustrated my discoveries both on and off the range. As a result, I collected and dissected over fifty books plus almost that many articles from periodicals and other media on a variety of aspects of life and shooting. After almost a year of research and reflection, I was finally able to assemble that massive and mysterious puzzle of intellect and emotion that encompassed life both on and off the range. Surprisingly, the final piece of my puzzle turned out to be an incredibly simple way of looking at life, an ancient Eastern philosophy called Zen, a Japanese subset of Buddhist tradition.

Shooting as a Zen Art

Deceptively simple in appearance, yet vastly complex is the art of pistol shooting. Without question, its mechanics are simple. As Bill Joyner explains, "Create a machine rest with your stance, grip and breath control. Then with the gun in the machine rest, apply [trigger] pressure directly to the rear until the hammer falls." Attaining the physical prowess to accomplish this task is one thing. However, the mind's influence makes the process a bit more difficult. As Frank Higginson has said, "In shooting, you learn more about yourself than any other sport." This self-discovery that exists in shooting is nothing more than Zen itself.

While you may have thought of Zen as distant and mysterious, bear with me while I present it here in a series of diverse articles for you to explore. I encourage you to set aside any preconceived notions you have about Zen and check out these works. At minimum, you will gain insight into an aspect of competitive shooting that you may never have considered before
JFC!!!
Look at your first image.
If that is not a confirmation that "target practice" is nothing but practicing killing ....

BWAHAHAHAHAH

Why are all of you anti-gun extremists so mentally deranged?

Moron...

Lancaster Woman Scares Off Bat-Wielding Attackers By Pulling Gun On Them

LANCASTER, Ohio - It happened along a walking path in Lancaster.

Dinah Burns is licensed to carry a concealed gun, but she'd only recently started taking her weapon while walking her dog.

Based on what happened, it looks like she'll make a point of carrying from now on.

"I think if they'd gotten any closer, I probably would have fired,” said Burns.

It was Monday when Burns was on a footpath near Sanderson Elementary School.

"Two gentlemen came out of the woods, one holding a baseball bat, and said 'You're coming with us'."

The men weren't deterred by Dinah's dog Gracie.

"I said, 'Well, what do you want?,' and as I was saying that I reached in to my pocket and slipped my gun out, slipped the safety off as I pulled it out. As I was doing that the other gentleman came toward me and raised the baseball bat. And, I pointed the gun at them and said, 'I have this and I'm not afraid to use it.'"

The men took off and so far have eluded police. Dinah posted about the incident on Facebook to alert friends and neighbors, to criticism by some.

"Most of the males' opinion was, 'Why didn't you shoot them?'"

Easy to second-guess a decision made under pressure, based on her concealed carry training, and police agree.

"To get out of a situation, back out, get out of it as much as you can without having to discharge your firearm."

"I will say it's a good thing to go from a place of danger to a place of safety, however you get that done,” said Sgt. Matt Chambers, Lancaster Police.

"Very thankful that it turned out the way it did, and hope it doesn't happen again, but I will be prepared."
========

CCW IN ACTION: Armed 22-Year-Old Woman Stops Three Men Attempting To Rob Her In Store Parking Lot – Concealed Nation

OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA — A concealed carrier successfully thwarted the efforts of three men to rob her late at night outside a Dollar Tree. According to police reports from the scene, the woman was exiting the Dollar Tree and heading to her car when she was approached by a man and asked to walk with him. When she refused, he point-blank told her he was going to rob her of her purse.

At this point, according to KOCO, she was presented by two other men backing up the first. She withdrew her concealed carry pistol from her purse and threatened to use it to protect herself. All three men quickly exited and fled the scene.
===========
Woman Scares off Assailant With Stick. Just Kidding, it was a gun.

Just before 7pm on Wednesday night, a 29 year-old woman had gathered up her dog and headed outside to… well, to let her dog do what dogs do.

Upon her first step outside her Minot, North Dakota home, she was hit solidly in the face with a blunt object, knocking her backward down the stairs and into her home.

Her assailant followed her into her home and started to approach her, but the woman had made it to a cabinet where she retrieved a handgun to protect herself and her home.

When confronted with the firearm, the violent intruder and would-be robber/rapist/murderer fled the scene.

The smart, independent, gun-owning woman did not require medical attention, most likely due to the fact that she was able to pull a weapon on her assailant to end the attack.

==============

Why do you gun lovers believe fairy tales?

You gun is most likely to kill your spouse, your children, you. Simple clear fact.
The more guns you have the more likely they will be used for their designed purpose but not for your original intent.

Simple facts.

JFC!!!
Look at your first image.
If that is not a confirmation that "target practice" is nothing but practicing killing ....

BWAHAHAHAHAH
Did you read the post or do you just look at pictures?

I didn’t deny shooting at silhouette targets is practice for the use of a firearm for self defense. It definitely is. However an entirely different type of target shooting is Bullseye shooting where the important factor is the score on the target.

I legally carry a handgun for self defense so I practice on silhouette targets occasionally. When I do, I want to hit the vital areas of a target as fast as possible. I am mot trying to shoot tight groups.

If you read the post you might also discover info about the zen of shooting at bullseye targets. You are not thinking about killing but instead eights, nines, tens, and Xs. If you reload you may be developing a load that is more accurate in your particular firearm.

There is a lot more to the hobby of shooting than just killing. The last thing I ever hope to do is shoot someone let alone kill them yet I still enjoy shooting. It’s challenging and it often takes years to become proficient.

Heller 2010.

Will be overturned as soon as people who can actually read take over the court.

The words "self defense" are mentioned NOWHERE in the constitution BUT the word MILITIA is.

and you didn't respond to my videos of all the things people do with guns that don't involve killing anyone...

more...

Why do you gun lovers believe fairy tales?

You gun is most likely to kill your spouse, your children, you. Simple clear fact.
The more guns you have the more likely they will be used for their designed purpose but not for your original intent.

Simple facts.

No...not a clear fact...criminals living in the home, drug dealers, gang members, who are also abusing alcohol and drugs are more likely to kill family members...the gun has nothing to do with it....

The gun in the home isn't the issue, the criminal, alcoholic, drug user is the issue.....

Which, of course, is a bastardization of the 2nd Amendment. Another amendment should have been passed.

Yes......simple words are a bastardization to shitheads like you....

"Shall not be infringed," must really be hard for an idiot like you to process.....

New Topics

Forum List

Back