I am applying for a license to carry

AzogtheDefiler

The Pale Orc
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2018
Boston, MA
At the age of 41 I will be applying. Got my basic firearms safety certificate and will be dropping off my application to the local PD in the next few days. Finally biting the bullet and buying a firearm that I hope I never ever have to use.

Wish me luck! Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you

1634161406705.png

At the age of 41 I will be applying. Got my basic firearms safety certificate and will be dropping off my application to the local PD in the next few days. Finally biting the bullet and buying a firearm that I hope I never ever have to use.

Thank you

View attachment 551408

If you plan to everyday carry a sidearm for self-defense purchase a high-quality retention holster, practice drawing your weapon from it, and never carry on an empty chamber. The time it takes to work the slide when you most need to defend yourself will get you killed. Good luck.

Thank you

View attachment 551408
aim for the balls... and get a safe

Thank you

View attachment 551408
You'll need a t-shirt.

B1EryObaEWS._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71H7jGD2A7L.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UL1500_.png

Thank you

View attachment 551408

If you get approved go to a range and shoot the thing.

Run some rounds through it, get real comfortable.

Don't just take the class, qualify with the rest of em and then forget it.

You and that weapon need to be friends.

So if you have to pull it out you don't handle it like it's a pound of cat shit.

Thank you

View attachment 551408
Good luck, i have been carrying now for quite a while and still have yet to have to draw my weapon in self defense. But if you do, make sure you follow this one truth.

Dead men tell no tales.

1634162837085.png

gotta say - BBs are great at taking care of tree rats aka squirrels.
I don't know what kind of pussy squirrels live in your hood but the ones by my place will catch your bbs in their teeth and then laugh at you... Need a pellet gun or a 22 to take them down over here

I don't know what kind of pussy squirrels live in your hood but the ones by my place will catch your bbs in their teeth and then laugh at you... Need a pellet gun or a 22 to take them down over here

guess i'm a good shot. if they are on my deck or at my feeders , then all bets are off. i can get 6 shots off at a time.

Thank you

View attachment 551408
In all seriousness, go to a gun store and handle every sidearm you are considering then handle all the rest, find out which fits you best. Don't buy any sidearm because someone else likes it or because tens of thousands like it. Example: Glocks are great guns, old tech in this day and age but well made and extremely reliable. I will never own one because it feels like I'm holding on to a 2x4 with a barrel attached to it.
Don't just commit safety and legal to memory make them part of your DNA.......... Once you have the sidearm you want practice, practice, practice then practice some more and remember the most important safety feature of any firearm is the one between our ears.........

guess i'm a good shot. if they are on my deck or at my feeders , then all bets are off. i can get 6 shots off at a time.
I put 7 bbs in a squirrel I had trapped in a cage at point blank and it hardly made a dent. California ground squirrels must be made tougher than your tree rats

Thank you

View attachment 551408

Spend good money on a holster. Don't get one of those cheap Blackhawk nylon or Kydex holsters from Walmart. I have a small bin full of holsters I tried but didn't care for, so find the one that works the best for you. Serpa holsters that have a button release retention system will keep your pistol secure in the holster, but can malfunction if you end up rolling around in the dirt with someone. Most decent holsters with have either active retention like a strap with a snap on it. Or they'll have passive retention, relying on the tightness of the holster to keep the pistol in place.

Avoid wearing a holster that has the pistol pointed toward your groin or inner leg. Otherwise if you accidentally hit your femoral artery, you'll bleed out pretty quick. I prefer an inside waistband leather holster worn at 3 o'clock on my belt, that angles the grip forward a little, and points the muzzle down behind me. Milt Sparks makes a good one, or Bianci, or DeSantis. There are a lot of good holsters out there and you can pay up to a couple hundred dollars. Also remember that an accidental can easily happen when you're inserting a pistol into the holster while you're wearing it. If you take it out of the holster and are putting it back in, always make sure you don't get your shirt tail or jacket caught in the trigger guard.

Spare magazines are a necessity too. I wear two of them in a Kydex carrier on the left hip. And you might as well get used to carrying a small tactical flashlight with you at night, 300 lumens or so. The ones that use the rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries are the best. And always carry a phone. Not sure what pistol you'll be carrying, but always keep it in condition 0: One in the chamber, full magazine, and the safety if any, off. Glocks are good, because they don't have an external safety, and seconds count if you ever need to use it. And get used to wearing hoodies in cool weather, and large-sized Hawaiian shirts in the summer.

Also if you haven't done this yet, memorize those four rules, and live by them every minute of the day.

That's about all I can add, except for this: You pretty much give up your right to be an asshole when you start carrying. There are a lot of stupid people in this world, and they can piss you off sometimes. So you have to let a lot of shit slide and have nothing to prove. Your weapon it's not a tool for first response, it was meant to be used for last resort.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back