I Almost Poisoned My Kid With SodaStream

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
It was out of character that I noticed that the SodaStream bottles were getting a little gross, and that I set off to disinfect them, according to manufacturer’s instructions, with water and bleach. I have never been the tidy one in the house. Mike is the one who knows where everything is, who fluffs the pillows and the cushions, who complains about my piles, who notices the dirt. But this time it was me. I lined six SodaStream bottles up in the mudroom sink, filled them up about a quarter of the way with bleach, the rest with warm water. I put the caps on the bottles, and let them soak overnight. Or maybe I left them in the sink for a day or two. I choose not to remember.

I never noticed that the bottles were gone from the sink. I never gave them a second thought. But Mike saw filled water bottles with caps on them out of place in the mudroom when they belonged in the refrigerator, and he did his thing. It did not cross his mind that I would have initiated a cleaning project.

The call came on my cell phone: ”Mom, I think I drank bleach!” Eddie croaked, his throat parched. As soon as he said it, I knew what happened. He had come home from school, made a B-line for the fridge and chugged the bleach water right from the bottle. Sure it smelled a little funny, but the smell didn’t register until he had gulped about half a bottle (once again proving the teenage brain is not fully developed).

Poison control, the ambulance, the emergency room. See what can happen when you let your family members drink from the bottle? It is not a lot of fun to be told by an EMT (incorrectly), “Lady, your son could die,” and have to explain that to your spouse on the cell as you are rushing to the closest hospital. Turns out, you don’t really hurt yourself by drinking a little bleach water, but I don’t advise it–it may cause a severe aversion to laundry.

The hospital interviewed my son privately to ask if his parents had forced him to drink bleach, if he had drunk bleach on purpose (to get away from his parents), or to find out if there was any deeper meaning to his drinking bleach. When they realized the kid was just about the happiest kid on the planet and his parents were just stupid, they let us all go home.

I blame my husband for the incident, and he blames me, but we are able to do so with a smile, because everything turned out ok. Our son survived and thrived, graduated college, eventually moved out of the house and is happily managing on his own (though laundry is not his forte).

We know that no no one was really at fault here, that sometimes a series of horrible miscommunications ends up in a disaster. But I often think about the blame game, and whether Mike and I could ever have gotten over this incident if things had not turned out so well. We were just plain old lucky I didn’t clean the bottles with Drano.

I Almost My Poisoned My Kid

:lol: I was looking at reviews and saw this story.

Anyone have Sodastream?

It sounds like a terrific way to spend the greatest possible amount of money on a glass of soda.

My brother has one, and he loves it - and according to him, he saves money with it.

We're a Jewish family from Brooklyn - we drink a lot of seltzer.

My ex has one and never uses it,which makes me think I might like it. And would buy one if I thought someone else in the house would use it.

Anyone have Sodastream?

Yes we do.....it was what my husband wanted for Christmas in 2012....one of his gifts.

Right from the start I detected a funny taste in all the different flavors. The diet coke one, which is what I prefer of all the flavors he's bought, doesn't taste like the one you buy.

He used to hit the carbonation like three times, and has reduced it to two, and it made a little bit of difference, but we only use it now when we are completely out of Diet Coke and really want a soda....otherwise it is put away in the cabinet.

New Topics

Forum List

Back