Hyundai to introduce world's first production fuel-cell electric vehicle

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Hyundai to introduce world's first production fuel-cell electric vehicle
By Hyunjoo Jin and Christiaan Hetzner

September 25, 2012 8:29 PM GMTUpdated: 09/25/2012 01:29:31 PM PDT
Hyundai to introduce world's first production fuel-cell electric vehicle - San Jose Mercury News

Hyundai, which has lagged its rivals in battery-powered electric cars, aims to leapfrog that technology and roll out what it calls the world's first production fuel-cell electric vehicles at this week's Paris auto show.

The South Korean automaker is betting that fuel-cell electric vehicles will be a more realistic future auto technology than pure battery electric cars such as Nissan Motor's Leaf.

A fuel-cell converts hydrogen and oxygen into water and generating power to drive an electric motor. Fuel-cell vehicles can run five times longer than battery electric cars on a single power-up, and it takes just minutes to fill the tank with hydrogen, compared with 8 hours or so to recharge a battery.

Hyundai, which has watched Toyota make the running with its hybrid Prius model, wants to jump ahead in the fuel-cell market.

But it will offer just 1,000 FCEVs, based on its Tucson crossover, from December through to 2015 in Europe as it looks to more than halve production costs to $44,700.

Trade media have put the initial sticker price at around $88,000, a hefty price tag for a brand that made its name with cheaper, feature-filled models.

While fuel-cell electric cars may go further, manufacturers

Last edited:
Now --- we're cooking with gas.. Excuse me whilst I go snatch up a wad of Hyundai stock..

((Even tho I doubt 1000 cars is gonna make me rich))) LOL....

THIS is the future of Electric Vehicles... Right here...

Hidden in the article is the news that Toyota scaled back plans for it's all electric "E-Q" mini stating "we misread the market".

Forum List

Back