Hyundai Sonata?

Greg Bernhardt

www.physics*****s.com
Dec 8, 2006
I'll be in the market for a new car this coming summer. The last couple cars I have leased and still like the idea. I would like to ask the question that if reliability and resale value are not important (because of a lease) then it seems the hyundai sonata is the best value. It has a good engine and packed with features for around 22k.

Why not get a Prius? You'll get good mileage + a bunch of features. It costs around 3 grand more, but the Fed and many state and local governments are offering big rebates. I know the Federal rebate is around $2500 and combine that with a lower gas bill and other rebates and you'll probably end up saving money. Why not give it a look?

Why not get a Prius? You'll get good mileage + a bunch of features. It costs around 3 grand more, but the Fed and many state and local governments are offering big rebates. I know the Federal rebate is around $2500 and combine that with a lower gas bill and other rebates and you'll probably end up saving money. Why not give it a look?

Prius federal credits are phasing out since Toyota hit the 60,000 hybrid mark.

You only get 50% of the credit for Q4 '06 and Q1 '07. It's down to 25% for Q2 and Q3 '07 and then gone completely.

Honda will probably hit their threshold for the phase out in '07.

So, if you're looking at a hybrid and the credits are important in the decision, NOW is the time to act.

Well,honestly, if you're worried about saving money, typically a hybrid car (costing about $3000? more than the typical non-hybrid version) wont show ANY returns until the car gets to 90k-100K miles. $3000? or so can buy a LOT of fuel. :)

Well,honestly, if you're worried about saving money, typically a hybrid car (costing about $3000? more than the typical non-hybrid version) wont show ANY returns until the car gets to 90k-100K miles. $3000? or so can buy a LOT of fuel. :)

And that is why you get a Federal tax credit to have that $3,000 gap reduced to around $1,000. Then throw in some state and maybe even local rebates, along with savings in fuel prices, and you might just come out ahead.

And that is why you get a Federal tax credit to have that $3,000 gap reduced to around $1,000. Then throw in some state and maybe even local rebates, along with savings in fuel prices, and you might just come out ahead.

IF the gap is $3000. (shrug). :D

I'll try and find a Road and Track artical I read about the subject, and post-up.

Whoa, I just checked Toyota's site, and they've got the Prius going for $22,175, exactly what your Sonata costs. If I were you then I would defintely go with the Prius, with the rebate it will end up costing you less and it's a great car. My stepmom has one, and I love it. It's easy to drive, quite, smooth, and fun. I highly recommend it. Plus, afterall, if buying a Prius will help save the environment and save you money, then why not?

Whoa, I just checked Toyota's site, and they've got the Prius going for $22,175, exactly what your Sonata costs. If I were you then I would defintely go with the Prius, with the rebate it will end up costing you less and it's a great car. My stepmom has one, and I love it. It's easy to drive, quite, smooth, and fun. I highly recommend it. Plus, afterall, if buying a Prius will help save the environment and save you money, then why not?

But can it do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds??? :D

But can it do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds??? :D

True, I am a sucker for atleast some kind of performance and the prius will not deliver that. The honda accord hybrid looks great, but too expensive and the altima hybrid due out next year will be too late for my new lease.

True, I am a sucker for atleast some kind of performance and the prius will not deliver that. The honda accord hybrid looks great, but too expensive and the altima hybrid due out next year will be too late for my new lease.

Here's the question for you Greg: you like power under the hood. Not only do I hear that, but I symphasize. I'm aiming to get a Ferrari within the next decade or so, but you've got to ask yourself the question. Do you want to pay a few extra thousand dollars in purchase price and gas for a little bit of performance that in all likelyhood you'll never get to really use? Wouldn't you rather take all the money you'll end up saving and instead investing it or paying down the mortgage or something? Maybe go on a nice vacation?

I mean I know having extra horsepower sounds nice, but that's really all it does, sound nice. You're not going to be in any races or high speed chases anytime soon. I doubt you'll see a lot of offroading in a Sonata. Now if the choice was between a Prius or a BMW or an Aston Martin maybe, but that's not the case here. We're talking about a Prius vs. a Sonata, and you and I both know that moving to a Sonata isn't what anyone would call a real horsepower boast. No one is going to be impressed by that, so you don't even get any hypothetical ego boast when talking with the guys.

So with all this in mind I'm going to ask you again: why waste thousands of dollars on engine power that you're never going to use when you could get a car that's just as good or better in all other respects and use all that extra money to do something that will really make your life better?

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Don't let that 1.5 liter fool you. I've driven several Corollas and not only are they roomy----> I'm 6'4" 250 but they had good pick me up and awesome fuel mileage. Yes it isn't as good a new Z07 vette but it is reliable and will save you a few bucks over the long haul. And I'd never lease a vehicle because it is a scam no matter what tax returns you may be entitled because the money you pay out for the first 24-36 months is easily 100 bucks or more per month on the note than if you bought it outright and not to mention the penalty for mileage if you go over whne the lease is finished.

Don't let that 1.5 liter fool you. I've driven several Corollas and not only are they roomy----> I'm 6'4" 250 but they had good pick me up and awesome fuel mileage. Yes it isn't as good a new Z07 vette but it is reliable and will save you a few bucks over the long haul. And I'd never lease a vehicle because it is a scam no matter what tax returns you may be entitled because the money you pay out for the first 24-36 months is easily 100 bucks or more per month on the note than if you bought it outright and not to mention the penalty for mileage if you go over whne the lease is finished.

Z06 ;) C7 is the chassis/platform. :D

Still - Miata's offer good pick-up, Comfortable driving environment, Good MPG, AND are fun to drive. :) I just hate seeing ppl blow good money on what amounts to 'basic transportation' when they could have "FUN" transportation - unless that's all they want.

The Legacy is a good platform - if you are looking newer, opt for the Legacy GT - LOTS of fun, class, etc. :D

Subaru makes a FINE, capable -but-expensive car. :)

The Legacy is a good platform - if you are looking newer, opt for the Legacy GT - LOTS of fun, class, etc. :D

Subaru makes a FINE, capable -but-expensive car. :)

The GT looks like it runs around 28k, I like it too, but for 28k I might as well get a nice accord.

If you need the room, the Accord is a nice car. Personally I'm hoping my next will be this:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MX5

or this:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

The Mazda is more affordable, but the Mustang has more room.

The miata is a nice value for it's price, but it wouldn't fair well in WI weather. I have a friend who just bought a new mustang and I must say I was very unimpressed.

Forum List

Back