Hydroponic Veggies

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
I'm a prepper so I was ready for the pandemic.

The one shortfall I had was that I had to hit the grocery store for fresh vegetables in the winter. That bothered me a little bit. What if this would have been a more serious pandemic (which will likely happen eventually)?

I tend to eat a fresh garden salad with most of my meals. So I'm going to try to grow them indoors at home hydroponically so I can have them all year around. I'm going to try tomatoes, bell peppers and lettuce at first.

Any tips for indoor hydroponic vegetable gardening would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to hear of any personal experiences you've had with indoor vegetable gardening.

The one shortfall I had was that I had to hit the grocery store for fresh vegetables in the winter. That bothered me a little bit. What if this would have been a more serious pandemic (which will likely happen eventually)?

I tend to eat a fresh garden salad with most of my meals. So I'm going to try to grow them indoors at home hydroponically so I can have them all year around. I'm going to try tomatoes, bell peppers and lettuce at first.

Any tips for indoor hydroponic vegetable gardening would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to hear of any personal experiences you've had with indoor vegetable gardening.
good luck ----post up your victories and----defeats

I haven't had much luck growing lettuce in doors, but that is probably because I don't use my grow lights on them.

I haven't had much luck growing lettuce in doors, but that is probably because I don't use my grow lights on them.
What kind of lettuce were you growing?

I'm trying romaine lettuce first because for me it has always been the easiest lettuce to grow in my garden. Of course that doesn't mean it will necessarily be as easy to grow it hydroponically. But that's what I'm starting with.

What kind of lettuce were you growing?

I'm trying romaine lettuce first because for me it has always been the easiest lettuce to grow in my garden. Of course that doesn't mean it will necessarily be as easy to grow it hydroponically. But that's what I'm starting with.

Oak leaf, black-seeded simpson, and a salad mix. None did well with just natural light. I have gas heat so not sure if zero humidity was a factor.

Some tomatoes we grew a few years ago in hydroponic system. We grew lots of veggies this way.

1624812181789.png

Some tomatoes we grew a few years ago in hydroponic system. We grew lots of veggies this way.

View attachment 506183
I've got hundreds or maybe even thousands of free plastic buckets that I could use. During the housing boom the painters and drywall guys would usually just throw them in the nearest dumpster.

And I would take them, along with other normally wasted construction debris. After all, repurposing materials is a wise thing to do.

For instance, I like scrap wood. I cut sakes out of pieces of scrap lumber. And a cement mason like myself always needs stakes and bracing material in a very wide variety of sizes.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

And I see these painter and drywall guys tossing out 5 gallon plastic buckets into a dumpster one minute, like they are worthless trash, and the next minute I'm at Home Depot where they are selling 5 gallon plastic buckets for $4.99 per empty bucket, without a lid.

WTF? :dunno:

People could walk next door to a construction site dumpster and just grab a 5 gallon bucket for free rather than pay Home Depot five bucks for a plastic bucket.

Last edited:

View attachment 506183
I've got hundreds or maybe even thousands of free plastic buckets that I could use. During the housing boom the painters and drywall guys would usually just throw them in the nearest dumpster.

And I would take them, along with other normally wasted construction debris. WTF? :dunno:

For instance, I like scrap wood. I cut sakes out of pieces of scrap lumber. And a cement mason like me always needs stakes in a wide variety of sizes.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

And I see these painter and drywall guys tossing out 5 gallon plastic buckets into a dumpster one minute, and the next minute I'm at Home Depot where they are selling 5 gallon plastic buckets for $4.99 per empty bucket, without a lid.

Mo that wood could make a good hugleculture pile too. We made one and it worked great after about 3 years. The wood breaks down over time and makes it own fertilizer and supplies water to the soil too.

Anyway we can help with hydropnics just ask. We did very well with the hydro system.

View attachment 506183
Are those tomatoes indoors or outdoors? I can't really tell from the picture you posted.

They are kinda both,lol. Grew they in out greenhouse.In beginning though we had a small leanto upside the house we first used hydroponics.
You can use them indoors or out.
We made this reservour to use for floating net pots.
Mo if your thinking of doing this be sure and check on supplies ,supplies are harder to find now.

1625075465579.png

Attachments

• 1625075374119.png
    1625075374119.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 86
Place to buy supplies,

We got one like this ,but that was 10 years ago ,it still works though.We bought from another place too not the one I'm putting up. I'll see if I can find the one we bought most of our supplies from.

1625075896296.png

I mentioned I was going to experiment with indoor hydroponics to one of my neighbors and he said that his late wife had bought a couple of AeroGarden units that he doesn't use and he gave them to me, still in the box.

It's only been about 5 weeks and I'm already harvesting basil!

And the bell pepper and cherry tomato plants are about 8 inches tall already and looking healthy. And bushy!

Things grow significantly faster than my outdoor garden.

When I make my own setup I think I may just basically recreate these units on a larger scale.

It hasn't even been 6 weeks yet and the cherry tomatoes are already flowering. At first I wasn't believing it when I saw the buds, but today I saw some yellow from a flower.

So far, I'm very happy. But I'm wondering if perhaps those tomatoes are flowering prematurely due to a lack of light, or if this is just how efficient indoor hydroponic systems are. :dunno:

This is all new to me, so I don't know yet.

I guess we'll see in the next few weeks. I know sometimes in my outdoor garden the first cherry tomato flowers and buds just fall off. :(

Last edited:
UPDATE: Now there's dozens of buds and flowers on the cherry tomato plant.

So far, I'm very pleasantly surprised by how quickly these tomato plants are developing in this indoor hydroponic system. I wasn't expecting this.

I mentioned I was going to experiment with indoor hydroponics to one of my neighbors and he said that his late wife had bought a couple of AeroGarden units that he doesn't use and he gave them to me, still in the box.

It's only been about 5 weeks and I'm already harvesting basil!

And the bell pepper and cherry tomato plants are about 8 inches tall already and looking healthy. And bushy!

Things grow significantly faster than my outdoor garden.

When I make my own setup I think I may just basically recreate these units on a larger scale.

Thats fantastic Mo, and from my own experiments when we first started our tomatoes grew 3 times as fast as soil sown.

Thats fantastic Mo, and from my own experiments when we first started our tomatoes grew 3 times as fast as soil sown.
One thing that concerns me is that if we get a lot of rain, my outdoor garden tomatoes tend to grow so fast that they split open, apparently because they're getting too much water. And that attracts insectoid pests.

How the heck are you supposed to prevent hydroponically grown tomatoes from getting too much water?

My outdoor plants are doing a lot better than the indoor hydroponic stuff.

For example; in my indoor thing, there is only two ripe tomatoes.

In my outdoor garden, I counted 134 just on one plant.

I'm already giving them away to a local church food kitchen down the street.

I'm thinking that I should make some more lights for the indoor plants. And more room. A lot more room!

All the roots are twisted up together in those AeroGraden hydroponic things. You would have to cut their roots all apart to try to separate them. That might kill them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back