Hurricane Sandy is another reason early voting needs to be allowed

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
The GOP won't like that, but if Hurricane Sandy had decided to come a week later, voting Tuesday would be screwed. And even now, electricity may be off until after next Tuesday.

If more early voting was allowed, people could have already been to the polls. Instead of trying to figure ways to keep people away from the polls, politicians should be looking for way to increase opportunities for legitimate, registered voters to vote.

Think about it this way

Who is most likely not to take avantage of early voting--GOP
If the Hurricane came later, who votes will be effected--GOP

I say--let people live in the world they wish to create. If they do not like it, they will change it.

Democrats want to count on a historic sized storm every election day.

I fail to see your reasoning...This storm is not good for anyone. I don't see a political advantage for anyone in this. People are going to suffer, and it doesn't matter if they are Republican or Democrat...

If we had an opportunity in Virginia to vote early, other than an absentee ballet, I would have done it. The GOP will fight that every time....why?

if left to the Republicans, voting would only be allowed during working hours the day of the election and a requirement for employees to be punched off the clock a minimum of 3 hours without makeup time and counted against paid leave without restitution.

Might take from 2-3 weeks to have power restored in some places...
:eusa_eh:
More than 11 Million Could Lose Power from Sandy
October 29, 2012 - More than 11 million people along the Eastern Seaboard could lose power before Hurricane Sandy is over, according to a Johns Hopkins University engineering professor, who based his prediction on a computer model that he developed based on both current forecasts and data from outages in 11 past hurricanes.

Engineer Seth Guikema says hardest hit will be Pennsylvania, with nearly 4 million people losing power during Sandy. New Jersey will follow, with 3.4 million people predicted to lose power, and Maryland will be right behind with 2 million people predicted to lose power.

Washington, D.C., Delaware and Northern Virginia will have fewer outages, with under a million people combined predicted to experience outages.

Guikema and his team of researchers are using the official National Hurricane Center track and intensity forecast as well as historical data. The computer model is based on expected gust wind speed, expected duration of strong winds greater than 20 meters per second, and population density.

“It is possible that 11 million people is a conservative estimate,” Guikema said in a news release.

More than 11 Million Could Lose Power from Sandy | CNSNews.com

Your premise is off IMO. We need to allow early voting because there just might be a natural disaster? What would have happened if Sandy hit three weeks ago or four. When should we start voting? Several months before, just in case? Using this storm to bolster your case does not make sense to me.

CaféAuLait;6246649 said:
Your premise is off IMO. We need to allow early voting because there just might be a natural disaster? What would have happened if Sandy hit three weeks ago or four. When should we start voting? Several months before, just in case? Using this storm to bolster your case does not make sense to me.

I think Jim would be better served to have said "Another reason we need early voting; natural disasters." It would be beneficial because obviously, the storm bolsters the case. We should start early voting 6 weeks before the 2nd Tuesday after the first Monday in November. This, since the electoral votes are cast 6 weeks after the election day.

This would allow people to register for one thing. For another, if there is any issue at the polling place, the voter could seek remedy that would not be available on a one-day scenario.

I fail to see your reasoning...This storm is not good for anyone. I don't see a political advantage for anyone in this. People are going to suffer, and it doesn't matter if they are Republican or Democrat...

If we had an opportunity in Virginia to vote early, other than an absentee ballet, I would have done it. The GOP will fight that every time....why?

It gives people an opportunity and a time frame to vote more than once.

It's amusing though to see democrats say that the storm will hurt obama but not Romney. It has to be because the democrat party finds democrats too lazy to vote on election day. Only republicans are motivated enough to make it to the polling station to vote.

It's amusing though to see democrats say that the storm will hurt obama but not Romney. It has to be because the democrat party finds democrats too lazy to vote on election day. Only republicans are motivated enough to make it to the polling station to vote.

You relalize that most of your posts are relusiional and rambling. You might want to work on correcting that...

The GOP won't like that, but if Hurricane Sandy had decided to come a week later, voting Tuesday would be screwed. And even now, electricity may be off until after next Tuesday.

If more early voting was allowed, people could have already been to the polls. Instead of trying to figure ways to keep people away from the polls, politicians should be looking for way to increase opportunities for legitimate, registered voters to vote.

early voting is allowed dipshit.

if left to the Republicans, voting would only be allowed during working hours the day of the election and a requirement for employees to be punched off the clock a minimum of 3 hours without makeup time and counted against paid leave without restitution.

If left to conservatives.

Voting would not be allowed.

Why don't we just fucking vote Jan. 1- Dec. 31? Then what would you whiny bastards whine about?

You relalize that most of your posts are relusiional and rambling. You might want to work on correcting that...

You realize that when you have no substantive answer but must instead launch into a personal attack it means you are intellectually bankrupt and HAVE no answer. You are just a squeaky toy that bleats when pinched.

Not in Virginia...only early voting allowed when you can't be at polls on election day.

CaféAuLait;6246649 said:

I think Jim would be better served to have said "Another reason we need early voting; natural disasters." It would be beneficial because obviously, the storm bolsters the case. We should start early voting 6 weeks before the 2nd Tuesday after the first Monday in November. This, since the electoral votes are cast 6 weeks after the election day.

This would allow people to register for one thing. For another, if there is any issue at the polling place, the voter could seek remedy that would not be available on a one-day scenario.

That would be a very tight election calendar.

Not in Virginia...only early voting allowed when you can't be at polls on election day.

Well, that's not my problem, we've been voting in Florida since Sat.

Forum List

Back