Hurricane Sandy Aide Turned Away

Imnukingfutz

VIP Member
Apr 9, 2012
Kingdom of Nigh
I have been sitting back watching the TV reports about the Hurricane that hit the NE this past week...the first concern is that everyone is seemingly OK....they are alive...thats a lot to be thankful for with a storm like that.

Now this week, all over the news broadcasts, we have seen people savaging through dumpsters for food on Long Island, entire city blocks burnt to the ground, people having no where to go, no clothes, no food, no clean water to drink...

Where is FEMA?
Where is the President? Oh yea, he is at a fundraiser in Las Vegas...he did his photo op but is now gone....not a peep of criticism from the media - Remember Katrina and the criticism Bush got within two days of the disaster?
Where is the Red Cross? Granted they are busy handing out cookies and hot chocolate...but where are the food and water and clothes that the people need?
Why is the media not reporting on the carnage that is up there? Granted we are seeing the trees down, the high water etc., but we arent seeing none of the actual dis-pare we saw. Why?

On Wednesday, we held (in VA) a donation drive....non perishable foods, bottled water, clothes....in 11 hrs we filled 3 tractor trailers, had 3 volunteers to drive the trucks to NY. They got to the Red Cross offices in North Jersey Wednesday night and were turned away. They were notified by the office manager that the Red Cross will only accept monetary donations.

Well, Thursday we got into the trucks and into NY ourselves...finally, they had to go the round about way to get there but they got there only to be harassed by NYC officials...not for giving food, water, clothing and blankets away but because we didnt apply for the proper permits to be in a parking lot giving those items away. When we asked where we can file for those permits we were told we cant, the building for that has no power and is not open. WTF?

WTF kind of complete bull-squeeze is that? People starving, thirsty, in need of clean dry clothes, blankets and we were there to give them the things they need and help them out but the government wont allow us to do it....not without the proper permits which we could not get.

So...to make a frustrating story short, on our way out of town, at every red light...and we made sure to stop at EVERY light...red or green, we unloaded a little out of each truck to the people standing there. It took all day and into the night to drive 3 tractor trailers through NYC giving necessities away to those that needed it.

So all in all....in SPITE OF the Red Cross, in SPITE OF the NYC government, in SPITE OF FEMA....some of those people got the things they will need to get through at least a few more days of this fiasco.

Well, its been a long 3 days and with very little sleep I think I am going to go to bed...and sleep for 3 days....LOL

I have been sitting back watching the TV reports about the Hurricane that hit the NE this past week...the first concern is that everyone is seemingly OK....they are alive...thats a lot to be thankful for with a storm like that.

Now this week, all over the news broadcasts, we have seen people savaging through dumpsters for food on Long Island, entire city blocks burnt to the ground, people having no where to go, no clothes, no food, no clean water to drink...

Where is FEMA?
Where is the President? Oh yea, he is at a fundraiser in Las Vegas...he did his photo op but is now gone....not a peep of criticism from the media - Remember Katrina and the criticism Bush got within two days of the disaster?
Where is the Red Cross? Granted they are busy handing out cookies and hot chocolate...but where are the food and water and clothes that the people need?
Why is the media not reporting on the carnage that is up there? Granted we are seeing the trees down, the high water etc., but we arent seeing none of the actual dis-pare we saw. Why?

On Wednesday, we held (in VA) a donation drive....non perishable foods, bottled water, clothes....in 11 hrs we filled 3 tractor trailers, had 3 volunteers to drive the trucks to NY. They got to the Red Cross offices in North Jersey Wednesday night and were turned away. They were notified by the office manager that the Red Cross will only accept monetary donations.

Well, Thursday we got into the trucks and into NY ourselves...finally, they had to go the round about way to get there but they got there only to be harassed by NYC officials...not for giving food, water, clothing and blankets away but because we didnt apply for the proper permits to be in a parking lot giving those items away. When we asked where we can file for those permits we were told we cant, the building for that has no power and is not open. WTF?

WTF kind of complete bull-squeeze is that? People starving, thirsty, in need of clean dry clothes, blankets and we were there to give them the things they need and help them out but the government wont allow us to do it....not without the proper permits which we could not get.

So...to make a frustrating story short, on our way out of town, at every red light...and we made sure to stop at EVERY light...red or green, we unloaded a little out of each truck to the people standing there. It took all day and into the night to drive 3 tractor trailers through NYC giving necessities away to those that needed it.

So all in all....in SPITE OF the Red Cross, in SPITE OF the NYC government, in SPITE OF FEMA....some of those people got the things they will need to get through at least a few more days of this fiasco.

Well, its been a long 3 days and with very little sleep I think I am going to go to bed...and sleep for 3 days....LOL

Best thing to do is pack YOUR shit up and go home fuck'em. New Yorker's elected those bastards let the people of New York city deal with their election results.

Tried to sleep, I need it badly but I guess I am just too wound up still to sleep...or am just over tired

bigrebnc1775, thats a horrible attitude to have, yes they did choose to elect people that are no good for them but the ones giving us a hard time werent the elected officials, they were the police. NYPD's finest.

This had nothing to do with election results, it had everything to do with giving aid to our fellow man when they needed it most.

We tried to go through the proper channels to get them the aid they needed but when that failed because of what I consider greed (Red Cross) and stupidity (NYPD) we took matters into our own hands and got the results we originally intended, to get people who suffered a disaster the much needed things to get through the next few days.

Sorry to read this.
You have tried to help.
In defence of the Red Cross, it has been their policy for ages to only deal in monetary aid, it's on their website.
I don't think they have the mechanisms to deal with goods.

Good on you though, I'm sure disasters like this bring out all sorts of self-important bureaucrats.

Tried to sleep, I need it badly but I guess I am just too wound up still to sleep...or am just over tired

bigrebnc1775, thats a horrible attitude to have, yes they did choose to elect people that are no good for them but the ones giving us a hard time werent the elected officials, they were the police. NYPD's finest.

This had nothing to do with election results, it had everything to do with giving aid to our fellow man when they needed it most.

We tried to go through the proper channels to get them the aid they needed but when that failed because of what I consider greed (Red Cross) and stupidity (NYPD) we took matters into our own hands and got the results we originally intended, to get people who suffered a disaster the much needed things to get through the next few days.

bigrednec knows he'll be OK in a disaster...he's got a gun.

I have no pity for idiots that are to stupid to store some food for hard times, let'em rot.

bigrednec knows he'll be OK in a disaster...he's got a gun.

Not only that I have food and the ability and capability to defend that food.

I have no pity for idiots that are to stupid to store some food for hard times, let'em rot.

And I am sure that some of those people who have completely lost their homes and everything in them had food, clothes, blankets etc... but when it disappears in the blink of an eye because a storm took it all away, even the most ardent of the prepared need a hand.

Im just glad we were able to give a tiny bit of help.

Sorry to read this.
You have tried to help.
In defence of the Red Cross, it has been their policy for ages to only deal in monetary aid, it's on their website.
I don't think they have the mechanisms to deal with goods.

Good on you though, I'm sure disasters like this bring out all sorts of self-important bureaucrats.

I must disagree with your defense of the Red Cross - They only want monetary aid because it lines their pockets...they only have to "donate" 10% of what they bring in towards charity to hold their tax-exempt status. They cant pocket food, water and clothing etc...

What does the Red Cross do with those monetary donations? So far all they have given out is some cookies and hot chocolate?

It is people like you that make conservatives look bad. Seriously, why do you have to be such a fucking moron at times?

And I am sure that some of those people who have completely lost their homes and everything in them had food, clothes, blankets etc... but when it disappears in the blink of an eye because a storm took it all away, even the most ardent of the prepared need a hand.

Im just glad we were able to give a tiny bit of help.

You prepare for things like this in coast regions they should have prepared better,

It is people like you that make conservatives look bad. Seriously, why do you have to be such a fucking moron at times?

You did notice my original comment to this thread about who you vote for? It was those elected people who enacted those ordinance that the police were enforcing. The police were doing their jobs.
However people need to be prepared they knew the storm was coming and did nothing should have packed their things and moved to high ground.

You did notice my original comment to this thread about who you vote for? It was those elected people who enacted those ordinance that the police were enforcing. The police were doing their jobs.
However people need to be prepared they knew the storm was coming and did nothing should have packed their things and moved to high ground.

So that negates the compassion for others? Maybe to you, not to me. It's a shame that we have such clowns in the conservative movement - but it's a bit tent and I'll tolerate the lunatic fringe.... but I won't defend your words - because they are sickening.

It's liberalism. It's a mental disorder. They don't stop to think that if everything is gone, stored food would be gone too.

So that negates the compassion for others? Maybe to you, not to me. It's a shame that we have such clowns in the conservative movement - but it's a bit tent and I'll tolerate the lunatic fringe.... but I won't defend your words - because they are sickening.

I am sorry I am not compassionate with people who do not prepare when they can and when shit hits the fan they are without.

I am sorry I am not compassionate with people who do not prepare when they can and when shit hits the fan they are without.

When people lose everything, they likely lose all their preparations too. That's the problem.

When people lose everything, they likely lose all their preparations too. That's the problem.
Not in the prepper community they have a back up plan and do not store everything one one location.
Plus they'll have a grab and go bag that will support them for at least 3 days.

Exactly...no matter how prepared you think you are or try to be, you aren't prepared for everything...its impossible.

Not in the prepper community they have a back up plan and do not store everything one one location.
Plus they'll have a grab and go bag that will support them for at least 3 days.

And what do you do after the 3rd day when your "stash" is depleted, there is no fuel to put in the car to leave, no clean water to drink, no place for you to sleep, no warm/dry spot for your kids....people need help.

And it is up to people to help, not make demands for government to do it, not for government to get in the way to stop people from doing it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back