Hurricane Irene

freedombecki

Let's go swimmin'!
May 3, 2011
My house
Just dropping by to tell our online acquaintances and friends on the Eastern Board, who've battened down the hatches and are expecting the worst, are in the eye, or who are gauging damages after the storm has left, we hope the best for you and your families here at USMB.

My prayers for those in NYC right now. May the winds lessen and your loved ones and yourselves be safe.

Love,

becki @ USMB

Yes, editec, NewEnglanders have their laconic moments. Hope all goes well up there in the next few hours. I heard 10 people died in NC last night or yesterday, and I got worried this morning. Keep your batteries loaded.

I'm glad to hear reports saying the winds had lessened a little before hitting NY, Sallow. Send us some of that excess water to our drought, won't you?

Latest from Philly said:

Hurricane Irene closes in on quiet, anxious NYC SAMANTHA GROSS and LARRY NEUMEISTER
The Associated Press NEW YORK - Hurricane Irene bore down on a dark and quiet New York early Sunday, bringing winds and rapidly rising seawater that lapped at sidewalks at the lower tip of Manhattan and threatened other parts of the city. The rumble of the subway system was silenced for the first time in years, the city all but shut down for the strongest tropical lashing since the 1980s.

Irene weakened after landfall over the North Carolina coast Saturday, but it was still a massive storm with sustained winds of up to 75 mph as it approached Manhattan. Even worse, Irene's fury could coincide with a tide that's higher than normal. Water levels were expected to rise as much as 8 feet.

Power was already out to hundreds of thousands of customers around the city and on New York's Long Island. Phillydotcom

Last edited:
Just toured Greenpoint.

Little messy..lots of downed trees and some flooding.

But Polish bodegas and bars are open.

Polish power! :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71bOFn8a_Pk]"Polish Power" Ivan Putski vs. Adrian Adonis - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, yeah! :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9XEGBrA99E&feature=player_detailpage]BAD BOYS - BOB MARLEY - YouTube[/ame]​

There was some flooding, but I think little more than is the case when you have a lot of ordinary close spaced rainstorms. There were some downed shallow rooted trees which also happens in ordinary severe storms. There were a lot of power outages but that too happens in ordinary storms.

Of course here on the drought stricken high desert, it is easy for me to say that Irene was little more than a really big heavy rainstorm, but that sure seems to be what our friends and relatives who went through it are saying. Our daughter (Arlington VA just across the river from DC) planned to stay up and watch, but posted on Facebook last night that she just 'couldn't stand the excitement' and was going to bed. Those posting videos of the storm in progress were showing me trees that just didn't seem to be taking that much of a beating.

And it seemed that the Weather Channel and networks were really struggling to find something to show to make it look like a real crisis. But it's pretty hard to take a 'devastating beach eroding potentially flood-making surf' seriously when you can see the surfers having a ball behind the reporter. :)

Anyhow, I hope my perceptions were accurate and it wasn't as bad as predicted and everybody is safe and dry.

Just toured Greenpoint.

Little messy..lots of downed trees and some flooding.

But Polish bodegas and bars are open.

Polish power! :lol:

"Polish Power" Ivan Putski vs. Adrian Adonis - YouTube
Hey, Poland's a nice place. Went there by way of sea a couple of years ago. I actually met Lech Walesca in the short time we were there. He gave an amazing lecture to our Foundation friends from Illinois on his part in the Solidarity movement and his subsequent leadership years in Poland. What a warm, engaging man and beautiful place is Poland. Didn't meet any fighters, though. :)

Word from central Vermont this AM is that the flooding of local creeks and streams is royally screwing things up.

'Bout what I expected given the track of the storm.

Forum List

Back