Hurricane Dorian Thread

Where will Dorian hit and what will it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
"The fourth named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, Tropical Storm Dorian, is strengthening as it moves towards the Lesser Antilles and may impact Puerto Rico and its neighbors later this week."

"A hurricane watch was issued Monday morning by the government of St. Lucia for the island, which means that hurricane conditions are possible within the next 24 hours. The government of France also upgraded a tropical storm watch to a tropical storm warning for the island of Martinique."​

More here: Tropical Storm Dorian's path: What you need to know

Prayers for all in the path of Tropical Storm Dorian. Please batten down the hatches if you live in Florida or the States bordering the US East Coast. :huddle: And if they tell you to evacuate, citizen up and do it. Call authorities if your slightly demented senior neighbors refuse to obey any evacuation notice, or call his family and let them convince him (or her) to evacuate.

The 2017 Hurricane Irma hurt Florida, big time, because of failure to heed evacuation orders.
  • September 10–11 – Hurricane Irma makes landfall on Cudjoe Key as a Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 130 mph (215 km/h), then makes a second landfall on Marco Island with winds of 115 mph (185 km/h). It becomes the strongest hurricane in terms of windspeed to hit the state since Charley in 2004, and the most intense in terms of pressure since Andrew in 1992. Irma killed at least 80 people in the state, and left behind at least $50 billion (2017 USD) in damage. Source: [110] List of Florida hurricanes (2000–present) - Wikipedia

"The fourth named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, Tropical Storm Dorian, is strengthening as it moves towards the Lesser Antilles and may impact Puerto Rico and its neighbors later this week."

"A hurricane watch was issued Monday morning by the government of St. Lucia for the island, which means that hurricane conditions are possible within the next 24 hours. The government of France also upgraded a tropical storm watch to a tropical storm warning for the island of Martinique."​

Prayers for all in the path of Tropical Storm Dorian. Please batten down the hatches if you live in Florida or the States bordering the US East Coast. :huddle: And if they tell you to evacuate, citizen up and do it. Call authorities if your slightly demented senior neighbors refuse to obey any evacuation notice, or call his family and let them convince him (or her) to evacuate.

The 2017 Hurricane Irma hurt Florida, big time, because of failure to heed evacuation orders.
  • September 10–11 – Hurricane Irma makes landfall on Cudjoe Key as a Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 130 mph (215 km/h), then makes a second landfall on Marco Island with winds of 115 mph (185 km/h). It becomes the strongest hurricane in terms of windspeed to hit the state since Charley in 2004, and the most intense in terms of pressure since Andrew in 1992. Irma killed at least 80 people in the state, and left behind at least $50 billion (2017 USD) in damage. Source: [110] List of Florida hurricanes (2000–present) - Wikipedia

Is it me, or do we seem to be having a low number of hurricanes this year?

Is it me, or do we seem to be having a low number of hurricanes this year?
When I was growing up, I recall that hurricanes concurred with going back to school. We lived 100 miles inland when Hurricane Carla hit, and I remember watching the fury of it out of the window of Mr. Wilson's art class. He took a picture of me looking out that window, and it wound up in the yearbook. I guess you could say my beloved professor of fine arts knew how to make you into a poster child of impending disaster.

The next day, the adjacent bayou spilled out into the street we lived on, and the flood ended at the concrete porch out front. That was a close call. My brother went swimming out in the front yard. I believe Hurricane Carla struck on September 3 or thereabouts. I'll look it up.

Nope I was wrong. Hurricane Carla struck on September 11, 1961. The miracle was that the waters rose to everybody's front porch, but nobody close got flooded inside the houses. Not all were so lucky as we were. It was a messy storm.

Dorian Growing More Organized as it Heads for Puerto Rico by Dr. Jeff Masters | Category 6

Lmao....looks like a kids etch-a- sketch toy!! Comouter models of the track.....nobody knows dick. And these same bozo's want us putting blind faith in the climate models which, doy....are incorrect all the time!:gay:

Listen....when I can click in a hurricane tracking model that tells me within 25 miles either way where the mofu is going, then talk to me about the climate models. Until then, nobody knows shit about shit ( and pull up your pants).:flirtysmile4:

Dorian Growing More Organized as it Heads for Puerto Rico by Dr. Jeff Masters | Category 6

Lmao....looks like a kids etch-a- sketch toy!! Comouter models of the track.....nobody knows dick. And these same bozo's want us putting blind faith in the climate models which, doy....are incorrect all the time!:gay:

Listen....when I can click in a hurricane tracking model that tells me within 25 miles either way where the mofu is going, then talk to me about the climate models. Until then, nobody knows shit about shit ( and pull up your pants).:flirtysmile4:
Those models are only as good as the programmers, and they are not that good.

Buy stock in paper towels

Easy... You need a gazillion models in the hopes that one of them was right

Fuzzy science

-Geaux

Dorian is festering at the eastern edge of Puerto Rico, and headed northwest on a path to somewhere between Ft. Lauderdale and Datona Beach, with the Bahamas and other islands on the way. A 1947 storm was doing much what this one, and it was a Cat 4 or 5, according to the weatherman.

I really do enjoy hurricane season. Just kind of a downer that people get hurt or killed and their property destroyed.

I really do enjoy hurricane season. Just kind of a downer that people get hurt or killed and their property destroyed.

Katrina killed an awful lot of people in New Orleans.
Hurricane Katrina: Powerful Photos of the Storm that Devastated New Orleans 9 Years Ago. Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans on August 29, 2005. The city's levee system failed, flooding 80% of the city. At least 1,833 people died in the hurricane and subsequent floods, making it the deadliest US hurricane since 1928. Hurricane Katrina: Powerful Photos of the Storm that Devastated New Orleans 9 Years Ago
th

So, it's past Puerto Rico now, the news is predicting it hits FL 4 days out.

DCT_SPECIAL107_1280x720.jpg

I don't believe anything they say 4 days out.

I'm watching it here and it's looking kinda busted up and head straight north:

Interactive Radar

It could go anywhere, the meteorologists are wrong a lot.

So I'll put a poll in to take bets! :)

You can vote for 2 things.

Big/little storm, and where.

Last edited:
Whoah! That thing's trucking this way! :eek:
They're saying it's aiming for Orlando. Isn't that where Disney World is?

Yeah, they're never right about where they say it'll hit, though. Click that 2nk link to see what I'm seeing.

I think it will run into some resistance from a sinking front from the north and weaken and head north. It's not a well-defined storm right now.

I live in Lake City, Florida. We are about 74 miles from the ocean but the last hurricane that hit us left us without power for several days.

I live in Lake City, Florida. We are about 74 miles from the ocean but the last hurricane that hit us left us without power for several days.
No power is usually the biggest problem after a hurricane, I think. It's a real nuisance and always reminds me of how dependent we are on electricity.

I live in Melbourne. Hurricanes are hard to predict.

This one could hit the southern end of the State and then head up the east coast. Or it could head into the gulf. Hard to predict.

Hell back in 2004 we had four hurricanes. One was supposed to hit LA and Alabama yet it went right and right across the top of Florida.

You can't predict what one of these big storms will do.

Forum List

Back