Hunting and fishing thread!

evenflow1969

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2016
Ohio
Any one out there like to hunt or fish? I have not started hunting yet this season. I guess I am still lugging the fishing poles around and have unfinished buisness there. It has been a strange year on the water. Most week ends this summer I was the only one walking around the park. Now the 30 and 40 degree weather has hit and there are more people in the parks with me. Kinda strange but it makes me happy to see people out in nature! Tell me about your fisihing and hunting trips. How are they going? I have had a good couple of weeks croppie and saugeye fishing. No trophy fish but good ones for the pan!

I can never catch a dang thing..I would starve to death if I didn't have a 7/11 close by.

I can never catch a dang thing..I would starve to death if I didn't have a 7/11 close by.
I had times this summer it was the same. Near impossible to catch much when it gets hot enough if you do not have a boat to get out to cooler water. That is why I keep my poles going in the fall. Those fish are fattening up for winter. Great time of the year to catch saugeye,walleye, perch and croppie. Once that water temp hits the fifties hit boat docks and other structured areas for croppie. Easy places to fish from the bank and taste great in the pan!

44965525_2084214651833928_918391216226172928_n.jpg
44810209_2081194568802603_6934136098511650816_n.jpg
44464943_2076795569242503_5982475258156810240_n.jpg
44171887_2075868392668554_5695527664182362112_n.jpg

Here is what some of my buddies have been upto so far this hunting season. I was going to go down to South Carolina to join them over Thanksgiving but mom pitched a fit that I would not be at Family dinner. I thought if I ditched the wife I could hunt,fish,gamble,drink and golf unlimited but forgot the whole mom and kids limiter. I still have to show up for thanksgiving and christmas. That is my best freind with that boar. He has already gotten two this year. I am behind big time. I have not even shot my first fowl for the year yet. Still fishing at least six hours a day on days off.

I haven’t hunted in years. But I fish whenever I can. Since I bank fish, I like going for catfish. More time fighting per catch.

My setup looks like a surf fishing rig. 1.5 or 2 oz weight and I get good range on my casts.

I was an avid saltwater fishermen until about 10 years ago when I realized we were sucking the life out of the oceans.

I haven’t hunted in years. But I fish whenever I can. Since I bank fish, I like going for catfish. More time fighting per catch.

My setup looks like a surf fishing rig. 1.5 or 2 oz weight and I get good range on my casts.
I cat fish during the summer. Some times. I like to go after things that taste good in the pan. This time of year mainly croppie and saugeye. Have not went north to walleye and perch fish for a while. I went saugey fishing today. Unfortunately nothing over 15 inches so nothing for the pan today. Saw some guys out phesant hunting. They got a couple of birds and were having a good day. I wanna go to mad river and do some trout fishing over the week end. I am tempted to head south to Columbia and meet some freinds bore hunting. Afraid I would not make it back by monday though. It was a cold wet one today. To my supprise there were people fishing not far from me and those two hunters I ran into. Bunch of old men in the woods today. I might go phesant hunting tomorrow. I will have to see I fished all day and never slept so I am going to work with no sleep tonight. Likely going to crash after work tomarrow.

I cat fish during the summer. Some times. I like to go after things that taste good in the pan. This time of year mainly croppie and saugeye. Have not went north to walleye and perch fish for a while. I went saugey fishing today. Unfortunately nothing over 15 inches so nothing for the pan today. Saw some guys out phesant hunting. They got a couple of birds and were having a good day. I wanna go to mad river and do some trout fishing over the week end. I am tempted to head south to Columbia and meet some freinds bore hunting. Afraid I would not make it back by monday though. It was a cold wet one today. To my supprise there were people fishing not far from me and those two hunters I ran into. Bunch of old men in the woods today. I might go phesant hunting tomorrow. I will have to see I fished all day and never slept so I am going to work with no sleep tonight. Likely going to crash after work tomarrow.

Sounds like a good life.

I gave up hunting years ago when I started working outdoors. Just have no desire to sit and freeze in a deer stand anymore.
I fish often. My favorite waterway is on the MN,Canadian border on the Kabatogama - Crane Lake chain.
Walleye is my primary target, but catch everything from bass, pike,crappies and perch.
Lakes are just starting to ice over, boat put away weeks ago.
About a few weeks before ice fishing.
By Jan. the ice villages and roads will be on the many lakes.mille-lacs.jpg

Mille Lacs central MN. Last year, not a current photo.

I gave up hunting years ago when I started working outdoors. Just have no desire to sit and freeze in a deer stand anymore.
I fish often. My favorite waterway is on the MN,Canadian border on the Kabatogama - Crane Lake chain.
Walleye is my primary target, but catch everything from bass, pike,crappies and perch.
By Jan. the ice villages and roads will be on the many lakes.View attachment 230016

I have to admit I am slobbering a little I hear some of the best fishing in North America is in your area. Unfortunately I can not attest to this first hand. I hear ice fishing is a way of life up your way. Thanks for the photo would love to see more! I would love to go along some time if I were in the area. Love them walley, my absolute favorite for the pan!

Sounds like a good life.
Growing better as time goes. I had an overly something wife and did not do these things until recently. My current life came at a cost of frozen bank acounts and a lot of hurt feeelings that are still hurt and frozen. I simply turned back into who I was before 25 years of marriage. I have lost a lot of the skills I use to have out doors but am working to rapidly gain them back. You will note a lack of recent trophie photos from me. I had one trophy size fish this year which was a 15 pound cat fish. I made a mistake that day and did not bring the camara. I have been unable to master the local waterways this year. I find my self going back to lake erie, and grand lake a great deal because I know the holes there. I need to get better at finding them where I am now. Last two times out nothing pan size to bring home. One of the reasons I want to go to mad river this week end, familiarity.

Sounds like a good life.
Growing better as time goes. I had an overly something wife and did not do these things until recently. My current life came at a cost of frozen bank acounts and a lot of hurt feeelings that are still hurt and frozen. I simply turned back into who I was before 25 years of marriage. I have lost a lot of the skills I use to have out doors but am working to rapidly gain them back. You will note a lack of recent trophie photos from me. I had one trophy size fish this year which was a 15 pound cat fish. I made a mistake that day and did not bring the camara. I have been unable to master the local waterways this year. I find my self going back to lake erie, and grand lake a great deal because I know the holes there. I need to get better at finding them where I am now. Last two times out nothing pan size to bring home. One of the reasons I want to go to mad river this week end, familiarity.

Come south for some catfish that will scare you. When I was on a project in Chattanooga, the company paid for a rental house for me and another guy I have worked with for years. Neither of us are the "get off work & get drunk" types, so we started fishing every day. Found a spot in a local park on the TN river. I could back my truck up to within 15 feet of the water. We would fish for a few hours 5 days a week. Great variety of fish. Bass (largemouth & smallmouth), crappy, bream, and the odd small trout were common. But once I started casting for distance and catching catfish, I was the one who was hooked. Biggest back then was a shade over 30lbs. I know of several caught in that area that were over 70lbs. Plus, with a bass or crappie, when you hook them you only have a few minutes of fighting to get them in. A catfish 80 or so yards out give you 10 or 15 mins of fight time.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

Sounds like a good life.

Come south for some catfish that will scare you. When I was on a project in Chattanooga, the company paid for a rental house for me and another guy I have worked with for years. Neither of us are the "get off work & get drunk" types, so we started fishing every day. Found a spot in a local park on the TN river. I could back my truck up to within 15 feet of the water. We would fish for a few hours 5 days a week. Great variety of fish. Bass (largemouth & smallmouth), crappy, bream, and the odd small trout were common. But once I started casting for distance and catching catfish, I was the one who was hooked. Biggest back then was a shade over 30lbs. I know of several caught in that area that were over 70lbs. Plus, with a bass or crappie, when you hook them you only have a few minutes of fighting to get them in. A catfish 80 or so yards out give you 10 or 15 mins of fight time.

I'll see if I can find some pics.
Would love to see them.

By Jan. the ice villages and roads will be on the many lakes.View attachment 230016

I have to admit I am slobbering a little I hear some of the best fishing in North America is in your area. Unfortunately I can not attest to this first hand. I hear ice fishing is a way of life up your way. Thanks for the photo would love to see more! I would love to go along some time if I were in the area. Love them walley, my absolute favorite for the pan!
Sometimes a little intimidating driving a vehicle several miles onto the ice. They actually plow roads with large trucks and expensive towable fish houses with all the amenities of a modern RV are out on lakes. It has become a multi million dollar industry.

The large clear lakes of the border waters are my favorite. Only 4 hours from home. In Voyageurs National Park, only accessible by water, one can throw their gear on the boat and choose from 300 campsites within the park. Some 40 miles from nearest road.
Fishing paradise.
Voyageurs National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:

Sometimes a little intimidating driving a vehicle several miles onto the ice. They actually plow roads with large trucks and expensive towable fish houses with all the amenities of a modern RV are out on lakes. It has become a multi million dollar industry.

The large clear lakes of the border waters are my favorite. Only 4 hours from home. In Voyageurs National Park, only accessible by water, one can throw their gear on the boat and choose from 300 campsites within the park. Some 40 miles from nearest road.
Fishing paradise.
I may retire there some day. Sounds awesome.

Fishing paradise.
I may retire there some day. Sounds awesome.
If one can live with the -50 or worse windchills in the dark of winter. My wife keeps bitching we should move south.
Lived in the land of lakes all my life. A virtual water rat. Boat, snowmobile, fish, ski all on the water. Couldn't imagine leaving.

The ice fishing festivals are a little nuts. You will see folks set up hot tubs and booze all day well into the night since they have a portable cabin out on the ice.
Folks get a little goofy in the cold.
480x320.jpeg
15ice600.1.jpg
Definitely check conditions before driving on lake. A few go down each year.
IMG_2191.jpg
Several deaths per year.
The expense of removal is unreal.
DNR levies fines for everyday underwater. Insurance usually doesn't cover since you chose to drive on a lake. I usually stick with a snowmobile and portable shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 13

New Topics

Forum List

Back