Hunters Beware: Hunting Deer Can Get You Killed

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
In a report just released by the US Center for Disease Control, deer can transmit several strains of tuberculosis. Symptoms include respiratory problems, chest pain, fever, and weight loss. This bovine tuberculosis, also found in bison and elk, differs from other strains of TB, in that it is resistant to the commonly-used antibiotic, pyrazinamide.

A hunter in Michigan came down with the disease in 2017, in an area where 2 other hunters had previously gotten it also. The disease, which can be fatal, can happen from touching infected animals, or just breathing the pathogen in the air, when being close to it.

CDC warns deer can pass tuberculosis to hunters

In a report just released by the US Center for Disease Control, deer can transmit several strains of tuberculosis. Symptoms include respiratory problems, chest pain, fever, and weight loss. This bovine tuberculosis, also found in bison and elk, differs from other strains of TB, in that it is resistant to the commonly-used antibiotic, pyrazinamide.

A hunter in Michigan came down with the disease in 2017, in an area where 2 other hunters had previously gotten it also. The disease, which can be fatal, can happen from touching infected animals, or just breathing the pathogen in the air, when being close to it.

CDC warns deer can pass tuberculosis to hunters

Or wear gloves when you field dress the deer. The lungs are left in the gut pile for the coyote.

Besides, the chances of contracting tuberculosis from deer are pretty slim.

from: CDC deer tuberculosis warning issued for hunters after positive test in Michigan
"It was the third case of deer-to-human tuberculosis transmission in Michigan in the last 20 years, according to the CDC."

from: Number of hunting licenses and permits in the U.S. 2017 | Statista
"The statistic shows the number of hunting licenses, tags, permits and stamps in the United States from 2004 to 2017. In 2017, there were 36.82 million hunting licenses, tags, permits and stamps in the U.S."

"According to the DNR's 2018 Michigan Deer Hunting Prospects bulletin, biologists are expecting the harvest to increase slightly from last year when hunters took 385,554 deer, a 10.7 percent increase from the 348,222 harvested in 2016."

3 cases of tuberculosis from deer in 20 years. 36.8 million hunters in the US. In Michigan in 2017 hunters took 385,554 deer. The number of deer hunters in Michigan is declining. But if you run the numbers out 20 x 385,554 = 7.7 million deer have been taken in Michigan in the last 20 years. 3 hunters have contracted tuberculosis from deer. That means 0.00004% of successful deer hunters contracted the disease.

You are much more likely to be killed by another hunter than by this disease. And hunting is a pretty safe sport.

3 cases of tuberculosis from deer in 20 years. But if you run the numbers out 20 x 385,554 = 7.7 million deer have been taken in Michigan in the last 20 years. 3 hunters have contracted tuberculosis from deer. That means 0.00004% of successful deer hunters contracted the disease.

You are much more likely to be killed by another hunter than by this disease. And hunting is a pretty safe sport.
NO, it doesn't mean that at all. The cases of TB are new. 20 years ago, 10 years ago, 2 years ago, are all irrelevant, This is a NOW thing. But if hunters want to go out and kill deer, then go deal with the body, and breathe the air there, they are free to do so. Not my problem,

3 cases of tuberculosis from deer in 20 years. But if you run the numbers out 20 x 385,554 = 7.7 million deer have been taken in Michigan in the last 20 years. 3 hunters have contracted tuberculosis from deer. That means 0.00004% of successful deer hunters contracted the disease.

NO, it doesn't mean that at all. The cases of TB are new. 20 years ago, 10 years ago, 2 years ago, are all irrelevant, This is a NOW thing. But if hunters want to go out and kill deer, then go deal with the body, and breathe the air there, they are free to do so. Not my problem,

No, it is not new. And the facts speak for themselves.

We all are going to die from something.
No need to rush it.

Also no need to waste time worrying about such rare hazards. The case the CDC was referring to was from exposure in 2017. Since then over half a million deer have been harvested without a case of tuberculosis being diagnosed in hunters.

Especially since using gloves and a mask are such easy ways to eliminate the problem.

Last edited:
Guess I will be wearing surgical gloves and mask when I field dress my deer this year! :)

Guess I will be wearing surgical gloves and mask when I field dress my deer this year! :)

Thank you. I usually wear gloves anyway. A mask is a cheap fix for a low risk problem.

I also don't shoot deer that look sick, unless it is bad enough that it is a mercy killing. And I don't field dress mercy killings.

Thank you. I usually wear gloves anyway. A mask is a cheap fix for a low risk problem.

I also don't shoot deer that look sick, unless it is bad enough that it is a mercy killing. And I don't field dress mercy killings.
I am so heart broke walleye season is over I have not even got tags yet!!! Our last charter boat leaves tomorrow!! Going to miss lake erie and the people like crazy!!!! I will likely wait till shot gun season to even think about deer. May skip it all together this year! I need to come down your way and learn grouper fishing so I can continue to earn my living on water year round. Any nice Island hoppers for sale around you? I am going to work a deer camp at Turtle island preserve from Nov. 1 to Nov. 8. Likely will just cook and retrieve. All proceeds go to turtle island classes. Happy hunting!

According to the International Hunter Education Association, in an average year, fewer than 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters, and of these, fewer than 75 are fatalities. In many cases, these fatalities are self-inflicted by hunters who trip, fall, or have other accidents that cause them to shoot themselves with their own weapons. Most of the other fatalities come in hunting parties, where one hunter shoots another accidentally.*

*Now known as doing a 'Dick Cheney'

https://www.thoughtco.com/hunting-accident-rates-127877

Forum List

Back