HUGE favor: Law Enforcement Abuse of Power Research Survey

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
For those that haven't read some of my posts, I'm currently enrolled as a Senior in Criminal Justice at Eastern Kentucky University. This semester I am taking a course in Criminal Justice Research. The main research project for the course involves doing a Criminal Justice Research Survey, coding the survey, and writing a research paper about it.

That's where I need help. For the paper I need to have 25 people fill out the survey so that I can do my research paper. Thankfully, the staff here at USMB has given me permission to post my survey here in hopes that I can get some members to fill it out for me. All you have to do is cut and paste the survey into a private message to me. I'll keep everything private and won't share any information given. With that said, our instructor said that the information on the survey really doesn't matter, as he is mostly grading on the structure of the survey, how we code it, and the way we present our findings. So... if you want you can fill out the survey with whatever information you want, it doesn't HAVE to be really about you, though it would be pretty cool to get some actual feed back.

So I'd really appreciate any participation from the members here! Thanks in advance!

How Do Different Demographics View Abuse of Power By Law Enforcement in the United States

#1. What Gender are you?

1. Male
2. Female

#2. How old are you?

1. 18-24
2. 25-34
3. 35-44
4. 45-54
5. 54+

#3. What is your nationality?

1. White
2. Black
3. Hispanic
4. Native American/ Inuit
5. Asian/ Pacific Islander

#4. How much did you gross in 2015?

1. Less than $20,000
2. $20,001-50,000
3. $50,001-100,000
4. $100,001 +

#5. Were you born in the United States?

1. Yes
2. No

#6. What political affiliation do you have?

1. Republican
2. Democrat
3. Independent/ Third Party

#7. What is your highest level of education?

1. No GED or High School Diploma
2. GED or High School Diploma
3. Some College or an Associate's Degree
4. Bachelor's Degree
5. Master's Degree or higher

#8. Are you married?

1. Yes
2. No

#9. Do you have children?

1. Yes
2. No

#10. Do you work in a field related to Criminal Justice or some sort of public service position?

1. Yes
2. No

#11. Have you ever received a traffic citation?

1. Yes
2. No

#12. Have you ever been arrested?

1. Yes
2. No

#13. Have you ever been in a situation where you felt a law enforcement official abused their power?

1. Yes
2. No

#14. Have you ever been physically assaulted by the police?

1. Yes
2. No

#15. Have you ever been told by a family member or a friend that they were in a situation where a law enforcement official abused their power?

1. Yes
2. No

#16. Does the race of a police officer affect your view of them?

1. Yes
2. no

#17. Does the gender of a police officer affect your view of them?

1. Yes
2. No

#18. Do you feel law enforcement officials have too much power?

1. Yes
2. No

#19. Do you feel law enforcement officials should require a four-year degree?

1. Yes
2. No

#20. How would you rate law enforcement in the United States?

1. Poor
2. Below Average
3. Average
4. Fair
5. Excellent

#21. If you could make one change to the Law Enforcement system to make it better, what would it be?

#1. What Gender are you?

1. Male
2. Female x

#2. How old are you?

1. 18-24
2. 25-34
3. 35-44
4. 45-54 x
5. 54+

1. White
2. Black
3. Hispanic
5. Asian/ Pacific Islander x

1. Less than $20,000
2. $20,001-50,000 x
3. $50,001-100,000
4. $100,001 +

1. Yes x
2. No

1. Republican
2. Democrat x

4. Bachelor's Degree x

#8. Are you married?

1. Yes
2. No x

1. Yes
2. No x No, but I deal with "adult children" and that consumes most of my attention and salary.

#10. Do you work in a field related to Criminal Justice or some sort of public service position?

1. Yes
2. No x

1. Yes x
2. No

1. Yes
2. No x

#13. Have you ever been in a situation where you felt a law enforcement official abused their power?

1. Yes
2. No x maybe, I was dragged in handcuffs to UTMB because I wanted to ask first, before I consented to go freely, if I could be forced to take medication against my will if I went there. The deputies couldn't answer and said if I didn't agree to go they'd have to force me. So they did.

1. Yes
2. No x unless you count the incident above as being forcibly cuffed and moved against my will before I could fully give informed consent because they couldn't answer my question in advance.

#15. Have you ever been told by a family member or a friend that they were in a situation where a law enforcement official abused their power?

1. Yes x my friend and community business leader Gladys House, who identifies as Black Republican, got into conflict with law enforcement over whether her filing a formal complaint was the reason for retaliatory charges against her that were later dropped, but cost her and me over 8,000 in expenses she incurred due to time lost over an unnecessary court case she successfully argued was bogus out of retaliation for her complaint
2. No

1. Yes x Now that relations between officers and minorities have been further strained by negative media coverage, when I see officers of diverse races, I appreciate even more that the diversity in Houston is represented in the police serving to bridge that divide and think it helps counteract the negative image of police
2. no

1. Yes x When I see female officers, I respect the additional challenges they face that other colleagues might take for granted if they don't have to
2. No

1. Yes
2. No x If there is an imbalance it's because citizens don't have equal knowledge and training in the laws. So to correct the imbalance the solution is not to take power away but to promote equal empowerment of citizens through education, training, and direct interaction and involvement between police, teachers and citizens. That way, the responsibility for law enforcement is shared, and anyone with abusive intent can be identified and helped before this causes worse problems (because the law abiding citizens and officers know each other personally and don't mistake the wrong people as being abusive, but work together to address the real sources of complaints and problems).

1. Yes x yes and no, it depends on the community they serve and the demands of the public.
For example, there could be exceptions for military or management/work experience, or for communities short of police recruits where negative unintended consequences could be avoided by offering alternatives
2. No

1. Poor
2. Below Average
3. Average
4. Fair x Where we lack most in law enforcement is policing, corrections and restitution by corporate corruption and abuse of govt. Due to govt immunity, high costs of meeting legal standards of proof and protocol, too much abuse goes unchecked. So our authority, consistency and faith in law enforcement is compromised when our govt officials are allowed to commit crimes and abuses "until they are caught and convicted" and this sends a mixed message to wrongdoers that following the law doesn't matter but whether you can get away with it.
5. Excellent

#21. If you could make one change to the Law Enforcement system to make it better, what would it be?

To require citizens, corporations (including political parties, religious organization and media), and govt officials and employees to be equally educated and trained in the same standards of Constitutional principles and process as police and military are sworn to uphold and defend; and as a responsibility of citizenship in the U.S. to agree to pay their own costs of prosecution, incarceration, debts, damages or restitution if found guilty of committing any premeditated crime or violation of policy, and to agree to work with authorities until grievances or charges against them are resolved in full, to the satisfaction of all parties, and not to obstruct due process or equal protection of the laws for any persons, such as by denying responsibility for wrongdoing that affects others.
===================
For the minimal policies I would recommend for public education on Constitutional ethics and law enforcement, please see: http://www.ethics-commission.net

Last edited:
One down 24 to go! Just to reiterate, you can send them to me in a private message if you don't want people to see your answers. I don't want people to think they have to share their information in the public thread.

Thanks emilynghiem

Hey Sonny Clark this is an issue you care about, are you available to answer Lewdog survey?
I'll try to take the survey later today. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Thanks Sonny Clark so you will balance me out.
I lean pro police, and want communities to work with them to solve these problems,
and I think you are more anti and don't trust them with their given authority.

Please, if you can think of two more users on here, one leaning pro and one anti, please ask them to try this survey.

If we try to keep it balanced, I think that would reduce the tendency to skew the research.

I think GreatestIam and GISMYS are on another similar forum like politicalforum ?
But they are mostly focused on religion and ethics not public policy or politics.

Are there any other members who might have diverse friends from other forums
to recommend for this? the more diverse the pool, the broader the scope.

Hey Sonny Clark this is an issue you care about, are you available to answer Lewdog survey?

Okay so you will balance me out. I am pro police and I think you are more anti and don't trust them.
Please, if you can think of two more users on here, one pro and one anti, please ask them to try this survey.
If we try to keep it balanced, I think that would be the most helpful to the research.

Oh...I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I really don't want to have to fake fill out a ton of surveys just to do my research paper.

Okay so you will balance me out. I am pro police and I think you are more anti and don't trust them.
Please, if you can think of two more users on here, one pro and one anti, please ask them to try this survey.
If we try to keep it balanced, I think that would be the most helpful to the research.

Oh...I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I really don't want to have to fake fill out a ton of surveys just to do my research paper.

Lewdog
It's against the rules to redirect traffic so I'll try to answer and advise very generally
about using the internet as a whole: If you go through all the popular venues, reddit craigslist, any of the forums set up around Hannity Amy Goodman or other hosts on both right and left, pick a pair of people posting back and forth about this subject, and ask if you can please include both of them so that it is balanced, and if only 1 responds and does it, then you can still balance them with someone from the opposite bias from another such site. You should find 20 sites easily, so only 1-2 need to respond from each.

look up the story about the conflict between University of Houston students over BLM and ALM.

If you can find any names or groups to contact, I'm sure those students would help you because they are sympathetic, on both sides of the debate who is more responsible the community or the police for stopping violations.

For those that haven't read some of my posts, I'm currently enrolled as a Senior in Criminal Justice at Eastern Kentucky University. This semester I am taking a course in Criminal Justice Research. The main research project for the course involves doing a Criminal Justice Research Survey, coding the survey, and writing a research paper about it.

That's where I need help. For the paper I need to have 25 people fill out the survey so that I can do my research paper. Thankfully, the staff here at USMB has given me permission to post my survey here in hopes that I can get some members to fill it out for me. All you have to do is cut and paste the survey into a private message to me. I'll keep everything private and won't share any information given. With that said, our instructor said that the information on the survey really doesn't matter, as he is mostly grading on the structure of the survey, how we code it, and the way we present our findings. So... if you want you can fill out the survey with whatever information you want, it doesn't HAVE to be really about you, though it would be pretty cool to get some actual feed back.

So I'd really appreciate any participation from the members here! Thanks in advance!

How Do Different Demographics View Abuse of Power By Law Enforcement in the United States

#1. What Gender are you?

1. Male
2. Female

#2. How old are you?

1. 18-24
2. 25-34
3. 35-44
4. 45-54
5. 54+

1. White
2. Black
3. Hispanic

1. Less than $20,000
2. $20,001-50,000
3. $50,001-100,000
4. $100,001 +

1. Yes
2. No

1. Republican
2. Democrat

4. Bachelor's Degree

#8. Are you married?

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. no

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Poor
2. Below Average
3. Average
4. Fair
5. Excellent

I appreciate what you're doing here, but there was one GIANT red flag for me. As someone who knows just how left leaning most universities are, I am very suspicious of the context of the assignment and the fact that your professor tells you he is not concerned with the findings of the survey, only the structure.

I am concerned that this data will be used to advance a leftist agenda, and given the loose control of the data input, the findings will be utterly useless. I could tell you I am a black female, highly educated and have been abused by cops. You have no way of knowing. I hope your prof is on the up and up.

#1. What Gender are you?

1. Male
2. Female

#2. How old are you?

1. 18-24
2. 25-34
3. 35-44
4. 45-54
5. 54+

1. White
2. Black
3. Hispanic

1. Less than $20,000
2. $20,001-50,000
3. $50,001-100,000
4. $100,001 +

1. Yes
2. No

1. Republican
2. Democrat

4. Bachelor's Degree

#8. Are you married?

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. no

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Poor
2. Below Average
3. Average
4. Fair
5. Excellent

I appreciate what you're doing here, but there was one GIANT red flag for me. As someone who knows just how left leaning most universities are, I am very suspicious of the context of the assignment and the fact that your professor tells you he is not concerned with the findings of the survey, only the structure.

I am concerned that this data will be used to advance a leftist agenda, and given the loose control of the data input, the findings will be utterly useless. I could tell you I am a black female, highly educated and have been abused by cops. You have no way of knowing. I hope your prof is on the up and up.

Good point. Lewdog that's why it's so important to make sure you include whichever side your prof favors
in the SOLUTIONS you present that incorporate both equally. If you make both sides look good, then this reduces the chance of someone taking offense and attacking.

If you look how I explained my answers and viewpoint, I think that is pretty central and unifying. I think more people would find positive in what I said whether they are coming from one side or the other. So include a balance, and respect everyone equally that you are just reporting these responses. If it's done right, anyone who reads it will see they are included somewhere so that's not seen as biased against them or censored.

If I send your survey to friends at KPFT with the antiracism diversity committee,
then for each person who responds, you'd need someone here like PoliticalChic
or any of the Constitutionalists who is pro police and sees thugs as the problem.

We can try that if you like. If 2-3 people respond from the far left crowd, you can come back here and ask for help to balance them out. How long do you have to gather 25 answers? Is there a mall or business like Wal-Mart that will let you bring a clipboard and hand out pencils to fill it out?

Last edited:

I lean pro police, and want communities to work with them to solve these problems,

Please, if you can think of two more users on here, one leaning pro and one anti, please ask them to try this survey.

If we try to keep it balanced, I think that would reduce the tendency to skew the research.

I think GreatestIam and GISMYS are on another similar forum like politicalforum ?
But they are mostly focused on religion and ethics not public policy or politics.

In my opinion, cops are low-life pieces of shit.

#1. What Gender are you?

1. Male
2. Female

#2. How old are you?

1. 18-24
2. 25-34
3. 35-44
4. 45-54
5. 54+

1. White
2. Black
3. Hispanic

1. Less than $20,000
2. $20,001-50,000
3. $50,001-100,000
4. $100,001 +

1. Yes
2. No

1. Republican
2. Democrat

4. Bachelor's Degree

#8. Are you married?

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. no

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Poor
2. Below Average
3. Average
4. Fair
5. Excellent

No the reason he says the results don't matter is because it is an introductory course into how to conduct Criminal Justice research and he is more concerned about a person creating the survey correctly, coding the data, analyzing the data, and presenting it in the correct manner. This isn't to be included in any kind of fact finding or actual research.

#1. What Gender are you?

1. Male
2. Female

#2. How old are you?

1. 18-24
2. 25-34
3. 35-44
4. 45-54
5. 54+

1. White
2. Black
3. Hispanic

1. Less than $20,000
2. $20,001-50,000
3. $50,001-100,000
4. $100,001 +

1. Yes
2. No

1. Republican
2. Democrat

4. Bachelor's Degree

#8. Are you married?

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. no

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Yes
2. No

1. Poor
2. Below Average
3. Average
4. Fair
5. Excellent

Good point. Lewdog that's why it's so important to make sure you include whichever side your prof favors
in the SOLUTIONS you present that incorporate both equally. If you make both sides look good, then this reduces the chance of someone taking offense and attacking.

Well like I said, though I am interested in trying to get some useful feedback, the most important thing is that I am doing the project correctly, as the data built from the research isn't going to be used for anything other than get a grade.

Sadly, too many people have become scared to help because of how the government and media have become and it has created a lot of skeptics.

Once again, this is just a basic research paper that isn't going to be used as any kind of actual study. ;)

As I said, Sonny Clark, you balance me out!
So now Lewdog REALLY needs you to answer, or else who is going to check my response
that police can be trusted to work with and everyone should share that civic responsibility?

So now Lewdog REALLY needs you to answer, or else who is going to check my response
that police can be trusted to work with and everyone should share that civic responsibility?

I think it is important to find out why some people have such negative thoughts about the police, who they are, why they do, and what they think can help to fix the problem.

OK. I'll do it later today.

But, you know what I'll say even before I start on the survey.

I think it is important to find out why some people have such negative thoughts about the police, who they are, why they do, and what they think can help to fix the problem.
Want to know why people think negatively about member so law enforcement?

Start here and read about brutality, abuse of power and authority, crime within law enforcement agencies, committing perjury in a court of law, favoritism by our judicial system, and the lack of respect given to the general public.

LINK: Police Brutality Archives - The Free Thought Project

Isn't there survey software you can use for this?

Do all the answers need to be out in the open like this? Not.

Want to know why people think negatively about member so law enforcement?

Start here and read about brutality, abuse of power and authority, crime within law enforcement agencies, committing perjury in a court of law, favoritism by our judicial system, and the lack of respect given to the general public.

LINK: Police Brutality Archives - The Free Thought Project

The survey is to find out more about the people, like who they are, their experiences, and what they think can fix the problems.

Forum List

Back