Huge Electric Bus Failure

In this story we find out that the range of the buses is much less than was promised. As I have stated, to sell "green", they must lie about how well it works.

But the biggest problem seems to be the battery range. The batteries were only running about 175 miles between charging as opposed to the 275 miles the city had been promised, according to Inside EVs. They were also prone to overheating.

Sounds like new technology.

In a decade or so, the bugs will be ironed out and electric busses will become the norm.

In a decade or so, the bugs will be ironed out and electric busses will become the norm.

How long do you think the bug will be ironed out, that an electric vehicle, such as a bus, needs to spend more time charging than running?

For a vehicle that is expected to be running almost constantly, that's a very big hindrance. A bus that is idle, hooked up to a charger, is a bus that is not carrying paying passengers anywhere. It's an expensive asset, that is not making any money for its owners.

In the mean time, a diesel-powered bus can run almost constantly, with only very brief stops for refueling that take only a few minutes. A cheaper bus, that spends nearly all of its time carrying paying passengers, and making money for its owners.

Sounds like new technology.

New technology? Electric vehicles were built before gas cars, back in the late 1800's.

New technology? Batteries have been around a long time. Ever hear of Duracell?

The battery was 1st invented in 250 BC

In 1700 the 1st modern battery.

Submarines were powered by battery since before world War 2.

Some even point out that tesla made a remote controlled submarine that ran on a battery and electric motor. Back in the late 1800's.

New, far from it. Older than gas is the battery.

My son bought a $60K Tesla. He lives in Atlanta.

After about six weeks of having the car he was coming home in Atlanta rush hour. On a very busy commuter road (400). His vehicle suddenly went dead. No power. Dead like a door knob. Complete failure.

Because of all the heavy commuter traffic it took a tow truck an hour and a half to get his car loaded up and traffic moving again. The Atlanta police were pissed. A lot of commuters were pissed. My son was pissed. I thought it was hilarious because I warned him not to get the damn thing.

We will see a lot of EV failures as more get on the road. Terrible technology.

How long do you think the bug will be ironed out, that an electric vehicle, such as a bus, needs to spend more time charging than running?

For a vehicle that is expected to be running almost constantly, that's a very big hindrance. A bus that is idle, hooked up to a charger, is a bus that is not carrying paying passengers anywhere. It's an expensive asset, that is not making any money for its owners.

In the mean time, a diesel-powered bus can run almost constantly, with only very brief stops for refueling that take only a few minutes. A cheaper bus, that spends nearly all of its time carrying paying passengers, and making money for its owners.
The weak point is the battery, they need to throw away the battery and use overhead wires or rails.

My son bought a $60K Tesla. He lives in Atlanta.

After about six weeks of having the car he was coming home in Atlanta rush hour. On a very busy commuter road (400). His vehicle suddenly went dead. No power. Dead like a door knob. Complete failure.

Because of all the heavy commuter traffic it took a tow truck an hour and a half to get his car loaded up and traffic moving again. The Atlanta police were pissed. A lot of commuters were pissed. My son was pissed. I thought it was hilarious because I warned him not to get the damn thing.

We will see a lot of EV failures as more get on the road. Terrible technology.
And I had a relay fail in my big van, stranding me at a stop light. You little story, even if true, proves nothing. Mechanical systems sometimes fail. If the failure rate of EV's were as you state, Tesla would not have the most of this years projected production already sold.

Germany closed its coal plants and nukes to switch to wind. The greenies promised them they would have enough power. When winter slammed Europe those wind turbines supplied less than 40% of the electricity they were promised. Now Germanys energy costs there are 300 times higher than they would have been, and they are buying their energy from Putin.

Chicago native and Illinois Governor Pritzger just signed a law that will force all of southern and central Illinois to use wind turbines and then buy power from neighborng states in the summer and winter when the wind will not meet supply. But he is bank rolling three large nuclear reactors to go along with the wind and solar so that he and his fellow greenies don't see an increase in their bills or face black outs when its very hot or very cold. What will happen when the the sources Southern illinos uses runs short? There will be no heat, or cooling, or power to charge EVs or to power hospitals. The far left in Chicago have protected themselves from shortages while cramming it up the behinds of everyone in central and southern Illinois. Oh and who gets to pay for the nukeplants chicago will use? Southern Illinois residents to the tune of almost 25 to 30 dollars a month on their energy bills for power they will never have access to.

This is one more reason thousands and thousands and thousands of hard working productive citizens are saying goodbye and fu to Illinois. If you remove Chicago from the equation, Illinois is a very red state. Downstate used to be very blue until the leftists stole the party from the blue collar workers.

Oh, all of the turbines we are forced to buy come from china and the blades and towers are made in Mexico. very few Americans will have jobs with the green techology. Most solar panels and their controls are made in Communist China too.. Perhaps thats why the greenies are in such a hurry to destroy western civilization.. They support Communist China and want to rip us apart before people realize what they have done.

Germany closed its coal plants and nukes to switch to wind. The greenies promised them they would have enough power. When winter slammed Europe those wind turbines supplied less than 40% of the electricity they were promised. Now Germanys energy costs there are 300 times higher than they would have been, and they are buying their energy from Putin.

Yes, this is what happens when engineers are ignored by politicians.

Germany: Coal tops wind as primary electricity source​

In the first half of 2021, coal shot up as the biggest contributor to Germany's electric grid, while wind power dropped to its lowest level since 2018. Officials say the weather is partly to blame.

There is nothing wrong with electric busses. The only problem is the infrastructure to support them is expensive and unsightly.
From just the articles provided in this thread there appear to be numerous problems. If it isn't cost effective the market will not allow it for long. That is the problem with using federal government money to get this off the ground. When that money runs out this whole thing fails.

From just the articles provided in this thread there appear to be numerous problems. If it isn't cost effective the market will not allow it for long. That is the problem with using federal government money to get this off the ground. When that money runs out this whole thing fails.
I'm facebook friends with a Rochester transit driver and they've grounded (no pun intended) their entire Electric fleet because of the extreme cold right now. These buses cannot handle the constant running AND maintaining the heat on the units without massive drain on the batteries. At least with a Hybrid, your primary power source is still the diesel engine.

I'm facebook friends with a Rochester transit driver and they've grounded (no pun intended) their entire Electric fleet because of the extreme cold right now. These buses cannot handle the constant running AND maintaining the heat on the units without massive drain on the batteries. At least with a Hybrid, your primary power source is still the diesel engine.
The problem these days is the eco-nazi cult has turned this to an all or none game. The notion of hybrids is not even in the conversation for them, it's now all zero emissions, full stop. It's crazy, and their path leads to failure. Hybrids are a sensible middle ground, but can you see some of these folks accepting that? I can't.

The problem these days is the eco-nazi cult has turned this to an all or none game. The notion of hybrids is not even in the conversation for them, it's now all zero emissions, full stop. It's crazy, and their path leads to failure. Hybrids are a sensible middle ground, but can you see some of these folks accepting that? I can't.
I personally don't like driving the hybrids out of my agency (NFTA) myself because the regenerative braking system is a bitch in the snow. And as to the enviroweenie whackjobs like Old Cocks, they fail to consider things more important than saving some rare species of gnat-and that is reliability, especially in cold weather like we have now. Plus electric buses lose their charge faster when the heat has to be turned on, or the buses have to be equipped with (gasp!) DIESEL GENERATORS :O Oh the horror these so-called "clean" buses have to resort to fossil fuels to maintain the heat!

Commercial Business will take care of it. When it becomes profitable, they will nail it. Right now, Amazon is betting that it's time for them to add the light delivery trucks in the hundred thousand plus range.

Yep, let's regress back to cable cars. Progress, the liberal way!
Cable cars work great in San Francisco.

Some things that work do not need to be reinvented.

Batteries? That is old technology. A little improvement with different materials, but still a poor source of power.

Forum List

Back