Huge Alligator Snapping Turtle Caught in Texas

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Justin Broomhall, 25, of Longview, Texas, was fishing for catfish at Lake Cherokee that Sunday evening, around 7:30 p.m., with his 3-year-old son Lakestine, his dad Michael Broomhall, Sr., and his fiancé’s dad, James Elliott.

Broomhall told Fox News Digital that, at first, the catfish seemed to be biting.

"All of a sudden, they just vanished," Broomhall said.

Broomhall, who’s been fishing since he was 4 or 5 years old, said he then noticed a trail of bubbles moving across the water.

He assumed it was a large catfish, so he threw his fishing line into the water just ahead of the trail. "That’s when everything went crazy," he said.

Justin Broomhall, 25, of Longview, Texas, was fishing for catfish on Father's Day when he reeled in this massive alligator snapping turtle and held it up for a photo.

SPONSORED by Kings Dominion
A Must-See Summer Event
Kick up your heels at Grand Carnivale, a dazzling summer celebration. Select dates 6/25–7/10
Learn MoreThe snapping turtle took hold of the bait almost immediately and Broomhall said he and his dad fought it for 15 to 20 minutes before reeling it close enough to shore to see what it was.

Broomhall estimates the alligator snapping turtle weighed about 150 to 160 pounds.

Broomhall estimates the alligator snapping turtle weighed about 150 to 160 pounds.
When Broomhall realized he had caught an alligator snapping turtle – which is a threatened species, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife – he knew he had to let it go.

"I went to reach down in the water to grab him behind his head on his shell and the line broke," Broomhall said.
Even though the turtle was no longer on his line, Broomhall still wanted to remove the hook from its mouth, which could give the turtle an infection, he said.

Texas fisherman reels in massive alligator snapping turtle: 'Everything went crazy'

Damn shame he had to release it.....Lots of good eating there.

Saw that.
It was a big one alright.
The largest I've ever caught was around 50 lbs and he was a handle.
My best was a 65 pounder, I caught that one in a old farm pond. I've seen much bigger ones in the Shenandoah.

I remember as a kid in the early 60s I went to the National Zoo in DC and in the reptile house they had two 100#+ examples.

I guess they finally died because when I went back around 2005 they had maybe a 35-40 pounder.....I remember being more than a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing the "big boys" again.

LOL....I did not account for the 40 years that had passed. ;)

My best was a 65 pounder, I caught that one in a old farm pond. I've seen much bigger ones in the Shenandoah.

I remember as a kid in the early 60s I went to the National Zoo in DC and in the reptile house they had two 100#+ examples.

I guess they finally died because when I went back around 2005 they had maybe a 35-40 pounder.....I remember being more than a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing the "big boys" again.

LOL....I did not account for the 40 years that had passed. ;)
I caught one that was nice size but not anywhere as close to any of those. It was before they were endangered and I will tell you that meat was the most delicious I have ever ate. Makes a tasty gravy . It's good to see folks care about conservation as the man in the article.

That one had to be almost 100 years old, if not older!

And you can't eat something that old!!!!

I've never had turtle, and I never will...........but when animals that can live for a century or more get to a cetain age, they need to be allowed to live their lives. Nothing comes of killing an ancient specimen.

Slaughtered a rather large one once. Disturbing how the heart beat for several minutes after it was removed. Never saw that in any other animal.

I've never had turtle, and I never will...........but when animals that can live for a century or more get to a certain age, they need to be allowed to live their lives. Nothing comes of killing an ancient specimen.
True those type of turtles have been here before the Dinosaurs. I respect them and only kill as my farther taught me food, its a threat or needs to be put out of its misery from wounds or sickness.

I've never had turtle, and I never will...........but when animals that can live for a century or more get to a cetain age, they need to be allowed to live their lives. Nothing comes of killing an ancient specimen.
Meh, I guess you have never been on the lower end of the economic ladder. That turtle would have fed us for a spell. They are good eating at any size if you know what you are about as far as cooking with them.

Deer, squirrels, wild turkey, fish that we killed/caught ourselves was our main meats when I was growing up. I still love to catch/eat eels to this day.....Very tasty.

We did butcher a hog every year and had what we put-up from the garden.

The odd thing is I did not mind it a bit, we ate damn good but hunting and fishing was more than just some pleasant pastime to us.

LOL....I don't recall having a beef steak till I was 19.

Forum List

Back