How's your 401

If you're 25-30 stay in and buy stocks while they're cheap.

If you're 40-50 stay in but stay as liquid as possible.

If you're 60+ and you stayed in when the virus scare started you might as well stay in. By not getting out immediately you demonstrated you can't be trusted to have more than pocket change. You'd only hurt yourself.
Profited from staying in. Xtra 401 match fell right at the low for my large cap fund and is now close to a clean double. Also ended up with a 1 for 2 split in company stock which went right back to where it was before the split. All new money has been going into cash

i visited the NY stock exchange, what i call the Royal Palace of International Capitalism. i am a master at the game, A MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE!

It was the IRA I have with my bank that took a big hit. My 401k continued to do fairly well, albeit maybe a little slower.

i visited the NY stock exchange, what i call the Royal Palace of International Capitalism. i am a master at the game, A MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE!

I didn't know you can still visit there. I toured the place in 1968 but thought they had closed it for security reasons.

lol on the innernetz nobody ever loses money on gambling, all 401k's are making millionz.

As for me I never touch scams like that, I keep about 80% in gold as far as I know, with an average cost of around $720 an oz. currently, the rest in rental property and acreage zoned agricultural for growing stuff and keeping enough critters around to keep the tax exemption. Never worried about anything, trade a few ounces now and then to buy a vehicle or go on vacation. Screw 'The Markets', they're all crap and bullshit, mostly worthless in real terms, and a sucker's game. I'm up over a 24% average per year since 1985 by doing nothing. Gold is 'down' now, to something like $1,900 an ounce, from the $1,200 I traded for a few months ago to get my new truck and replaced what I sold a couple of months later.

Change the accounting rules back to something near sanity and the 'market prices' might eventually be worth the paper they're written on.

Last edited:
Had a fantastic yr in 2021, today I sold quite a bit to lock in some of my gains. 15% of my company stock, 15% of small cap fund, and 10% of my large cap. that will take me from an 80/20 mix down under 70/30 with all new money right now going into cash fund.

Had to cash mine out. Shit's just too expensive.
Corrupt companies don't give liveable wages anymore and sure as hell don't give liveable raises.

I tried. But 401K's are made for the rich. People who make more than enough money to pay their bills, buy what they want, go where they want, live how they want, and still have money left over from having money left over at the end of the month, so they can have a 401K.

People that live from paycheck to paycheck because of these corrupt companies, can't afford a retirement plan.

At the start of latest crash I lost over 10% week 1, week 2 was about even and week 3 was greater than 10%. At that point I felt locked in and let it ride. Adjusted where new contributions were going to large cap and cash and later to all cash. Minus new contributions I'm up 5% over pre-crash, starting to look at pulling more money out the mutual funds and parking it in cash. Small cap was hit the hardest and is not back to starting point but getting close and thats where I think I'm going to start drawing down first.

For 2021 I am up a total of 32%, of which 11% is my contributions.

My non-401k investment account was up about 12% on the year, not great but livable.

I am a decade from retiring, will not mess with much of anything in it right now.

Last edited:
For 2021 I am up a total of 32%, of which 11% is my contributions.

My non-401k investment account was up about 12% on the year, not great but livable.

I am a decade from retiring, will not mess with much of anything in it right now.
2021 I hit a home run, up 100%. I'm a little closer...depending how the body holds up

Many years ago I observed that a couple of my friends had their investments with a certain broker at M-L. They were thrilled with his performance. My wife and I turned over an investment portfolio to him and it did well. When we both retired, we turned EVERYTHING over to him. We have our annual meeting with him, and his strategy for us is very conservative, but it's still mostly in stocks. He has doubled our money in five years. When the market goes down, our portfolio goes down a bit, about half of what the DOW drops.

Most months, our paper gain is more than we were making when we both worked.

I recently passed the age where we have to take something out of my 401k, so we will have some taxable income in 2021, but we have withheld enough so that we will still get a small refund.

We couldn't be happier with his performance. And he has an "assistant" who does whatever we want, immediately, with a smile.

Had a fantastic yr in 2021, today I sold quite a bit to lock in some of my gains. 15% of my company stock, 15% of small cap fund, and 10% of my large cap. that will take me from an 80/20 mix down under 70/30 with all new money right now going into cash fund.

Really liking my sells alrdy. Locked in close to the high. Most everything has trended down. Hopefully its an orderly consolidation.

Forum List

Back