How y'all doing?

Martin.S

Rookie
Feb 11, 2015
I'm new to this forum and figure this might be a good place to start.

Got my Master's in Public Administration in June 2012, having been looking for work since. I haven't done a recent exact count, but I've applied to about 900 jobs, had 80 interviews and maybe a dozen part-time temporary positions. (Had a job for 9 months until November as a social worker, but that was pretty messed up in too many ways, only lasted 9 months but that was about average for the agency).

I kept a blog/journal of my travails but never found a forum for it, maybe I'll post it here.

The worst part (?) is that I'm generally a happy guy with a positive outlook, but recounting my job hunt ordeal is incredibly depressing!

So, yeah, hi. How y'all doing?

Got my Master's in Public Administration in June 2012, having been looking for work since. I haven't done a recent exact count, but I've applied to about 900 jobs, had 80 interviews and maybe a dozen part-time temporary positions. (Had a job for 9 months until November as a social worker, but that was pretty messed up in too many ways, only lasted 9 months but that was about average for the agency).

I kept a blog/journal of my travails but never found a forum for it, maybe I'll post it here.

The worst part (?) is that I'm generally a happy guy with a positive outlook, but recounting my job hunt ordeal is incredibly depressing!

No job???

How many times did you vote for Obama?

Oh, and welcome.

With a Masters in Public Administration, I wonder why you can't get a job.

What do you think is the reason?

Got my Master's in Public Administration in June 2012, having been looking for work since...
No job???
Oh, and welcome.

C'mon, RR ... the guy is struggling to get some traction and is new to the board. Let him get his other foot in the door before you toast him.

Welcome, social work comports well with a character in a Kafka story, better to work for county probation where the juvenile hall awaits the recalcitrant client.

Your degree should open up a number of positions in local government, and the opportunity to move quickly into supervision and management, in nearly every civil service (CS) job.

Job hunting for CS is easier today than ever, most county HR Departments have a web site listing all openings, with the MQ's clearly listed as well as the salary and benefits. Of course on this message board many of the regulars find government workers akin to the three-toed sloth.

Hello Martin..

imageedit_6_2047273363_zps35378acc.gif

:)

Got my Master's in Public Administration in June 2012, having been looking for work since...
No job???
Oh, and welcome.

C'mon, RR ... the guy is struggling to get some traction and is new to the board. Let him get his other foot in the door before you toast him.
I am must curious as to why such an educated person can't get a job, especially with government expanding as it is; there have to be thousands of jobs related to keeping up with Obamacare.

Seems Public Administration would be a great field these days.

Welcome, social work comports well with a character in a Kafka story, better to work for county probation where the juvenile hall awaits the recalcitrant client.

Your degree should open up a number of positions in local government, and the opportunity to move quickly into supervision and management, in nearly every civil service (CS) job.

Job hunting for CS is easier today than ever, most county HR Departments have a web site listing all openings, with the MQ's clearly listed as well as the salary and benefits. Of course on this message board many of the regulars find government workers akin to the three-toed sloth.
Local government usually pays fairly well, on time, with great benefits.

Locals here retire on 4% per year, teachers, 2.5%.

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your stay and have fun. I can well understand you job hunting experience. I have been writing about it for years now. The truth is, there are no jobs, or very few jobs. This is especially true for college grads. I wish you the best of luck in your job search, but things don't look too promising at present, as you well know. I'm sure that you're well aware of what happened to our jobs, where they went, and why they left this country. And, you're probably equally aware of the situation with off-shore job out-sourcing, the importing of labor, and the many plants and factories that we've closed in favor of supporting foreign economies.

Hang in there, keep your head up, and hope that luck will find a path to your door step in the near future. Keep us informed on your job search. Again, welcome aboard and feel free to contribute at any time.

Do you have a clue what 4% per year means? I doubt it, at 4% a person would need only 25 years to retire at 100% of their final years compensation (in some systems, the average of the final three years). Safety Retirement in CA (police, fire) is 3% at 50 - which means a person can retire at age 50 with 25 years service and receive 75% of their final compensation.

Yes local government does pay on time, very well for some and the benefits were great. Why? Competition.

An experienced police officer can make lateral moves to other agencies because the cost to recruit, background and train new officers is very expensive, and a high percentage of trainees and probationary deputies/officers/agents wash out.

No job???
Oh, and welcome.

I am must curious as to why such an educated person can't get a job, especially with government expanding as it is; there have to be thousands of jobs related to keeping up with Obamacare.

Seems Public Administration would be a great field these days.

"I am must curious as to why such an educated person can't get a job."

No you're not.

You're just doing what you always do - blaming the president who creates jobs for not creating more jobs. And attacking a poster before you know all the facts.

Instead of attacking Martin S. and his intro thread, go start your own.

Welcome to the board Martin S.

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your stay and have fun. I can well understand you job hunting experience. I have been writing about it for years now. The truth is, there are no jobs, or very few jobs. This is especially true for college grads. I wish you the best of luck in your job search, but things don't look too promising at present, as you well know. I'm sure that you're well aware of what happened to our jobs, where they went, and why they left this country. And, you're probably equally aware of the situation with off-shore job out-sourcing, the importing of labor, and the many plants and factories that we've closed in favor of supporting foreign economies.

Hang in there, keep your head up, and hope that luck will find a path to your door step in the near future. Keep us informed on your job search. Again, welcome aboard and feel free to contribute at any time.

Nice rant, factual - not so much. An MPA has little interest in overseas jobs, unless he works for CIA or the Dept. of State. As for jobs, the fact is we were losing them at an alarming rate by 2009, and have rebounded nicely.

Of course the dishonest fail to note that the number of people working has increased, but the percentage of unemployed changes more slowly do to an increasing population of job seekers, and the number of municipal, state and federal employees has been reduced a result of the Republican effort to privatize, and by reducing revenue creating a cost-deficit for local and state governments. You won't understand the cost-deficit but I'm sure the author of the OP does.

And so does Grover Norquist, whose plan to shrink government to the size it an be drowned in a bath tub. It is the Republican Plan, signed into practice by the promise of too many legislators who fear not receiving funding for their next election.

Last edited:

Do you have a clue what 4% per year means? I doubt it, at 4% a person would need only 25 years to retire at 100% of their final years compensation (in some systems, the average of the final three years). Safety Retirement in CA (police, fire) is 3% at 50 - which means a person can retire at age 50 with 25 years service and receive 75% of their final compensation.

Yes local government does pay on time, very well for some and the benefits were great. Why? Competition.

An experienced police officer can make lateral moves to other agencies because the cost to recruit, background and train new officers is very expensive, and a high percentage of trainees and probationary deputies/officers/agents wash out.
Of course I know what 4% means.

Why do you doubt it?

What exactly is your point; different systems have different plans?

Or, you just being an asshole?

Of course I know what 4% means.

Why do you doubt it?

What exactly is your point; different systems have different plans?

Or, you just being an asshole?

Prove any government agency offers 4% or don't, and provide more proof you're a liar (as if more is needed).

Forum List

Back