CDZ How Would You Enhance/Fix the Olympics?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
The question is about fixing the games themselves; please do not go off on athlete behavior. You did stupid things when you were young too. Also, keep in mind this is the CDZ.... Please try to stay on topic and stay civil.

Two things come to mind on how to "fix" the games.

First off, it's no secret that the stadiums quickly become useless once the games leave town. They often fall into disrepair and become a sore spot with the local populous.

Here is a slideshow by ABC News

So my solution would be to do what the NFL did so successfully for several years with the Super Bowl. They rotated it from Miami to the Rose Bowl to New Orleans. Everyone loved it; the hotels were close by, the venues were mint.... Just rotate the Summer Olympics through 3 or 4 cities that have the infrastructure already in place and, of course, are willing to hold the Olympics. Los Angeles and Paris come to mind for example.. University Stadiums, roads, multi-cultural populations, airports, etc... are already in place. There doesn't need to be a lot of new construction for venues. And maybe every fifth Summer Games have a NATION put together a responsible bid that takes into account what will happen after the games leave. By utilizing a whole nation, you prevent a city from building a bunch of soccer stadiums it doesn't need for example. You may not have a great swimming venue in Toronto...but they may have a great one in Montreal; use it!

Secondly, the Winter Olympics should be expanded to include an awful lot more sports (more about this later) taking many from the Summer Olympics. Is there any reason that the martial arts, Basketball, Boxing, or handball can't be in the Winter Olympics? The largest benefit will be that these sports may (and should in my opinion) get more exposure.

Here are the 24 Winter Olympic events...
1627399688607.png

Vs the 50 Summer Olympic events...
1627399602591.png

Even it out. Weightlifting can be done at a Winter Olympics, right?

----

What else would I do? Glad you asked....

• I would stop the repeat Olympians who compete/medal for more than two Olympic Games. You get two in the same event and your are done. I say two Olympics because I would give someone a mulligan in case you don't do well. But I don't want to penalize someone who does well either. So you get two games in the same events....that's it. Now, if you're a swimmer who competes only in the 100M Backstroke for example in 2000 and 2004...feel free to come back in 2008 competing in the 2008 Olympics in the 200M Backstroke or any sport other than the 100M Backstroke. If you can make the team...no problem there.
  • I would have a lot more sports than is currently in the Olympics. I'd stop calling them sports for one thing. I'd say events or activities. If there is an activity that someone does on five continents (I think that is the acid test) that both genders can participate in...sure. Go for it. I wouldn't have poker or gambling...and no...not ballroom dancing. Cornhole...sure. Darts...sure. Axe throwing? Sure. Even Log Rolling. I'm not sure when the Olympics became some sort of "us" and "them" proposition as to where you need to start at the age of 5 and work daily until you're 16 to go to the games. I reject that premise. So I believe that other activities should be included and encouraged.
  • Limit athletes to either their nation of birth or make it to where they will have to had to have been a citizen of the nation they are competing for...for a certain amount of time....5 plus years I'd say. If America only sends two decathletes to the Olympics and you're the third best...you are an alternate. Sorry. You don't get to go as a Canadian because your Mom was Canadian or whatever.
  • Needless to say this as well...if you have outdoor plumbing, you compete as a man; indoor plumbing, you compete as a woman.
Some thoughts there.

What are yours. Please leave the politics out of it for a change.

The Olympics “Jumped the Shark” with the admission of Synchronized Swimming.
Up till then there was a core of sports that people recognized. Since then, the gates have been opened to more and more bizarre semi-sports

They need to get rid of team sports and concentrate on individual events

Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Softball need to go. Same goes for Tennis and Golf.
They have their own circuits

My list:

Remove all women’s sports

Remove all judged sports

Remove all sports that are not played competitively at academic institutions or professionally in at least 50% of IOC countries

Ban all athletes who are/have playing or training for their sport as the primary function of their lifestyle or livelihood.

nascar?....professional wrestling?.....lol....geezus....

No.

I don't want professional wrestling in the Olympics, I want pro-style wrestling in addition the greco-roman and freestyle.

Give athletes a little bit more leeway and have more lively matches as the athletes would be able to use Stone Cold Stunners, Attitude Adjustments and People's Elbows to finish off their opponents.

The Olympics “Jumped the Shark” with the admission of Synchronized Swimming.
Up till then there was a core of sports that people recognized. Since then, the gates have been opened to more and more bizarre semi-sports

They need to get rid of team sports and concentrate on individual events

Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Softball need to go. Same goes for Tennis and Golf.
They have their own circuits

I disagree to an extent. Especially when you have "hotbeds" of a sport. Like Soccer is huge in Latin America...not so much in the United States. Every Year we send our pigs to the slaughter with Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador and others and they take great joy with the ease and expediency of how they destroy us. A different format in the Olympics as to where you may be paired with not-so-dominant teams may help some clubs do better than they do in regional competition. I imagine other federations have the same make-up.

At the end of the day, however, I don't see a lot of dilution of product by allowing more sports.

I will say though that I much more enjoy sports where you keep score; not rely on judges to assign value to your technique.

New modern style sports needed to be added to the games. Bowling, MMA, NASCAR, horse racing and professional style wrestling all have tremendous amounts of interest.
Professional wrestling is theater. MMA? Maybe. Bowling, NASCAR (more like IROC--one type of car only)...sure.

What would you say to having the sports on an as-available basis? Like, for example, there may be a suitable road racing venue but not oval in a nation. In the US it wouldn't matter.... LA has Fontana for example. But what if the 2060 Melbourne games (for example) just has a road track...would you be okay with that or would it have to be something that just doesn't take place in 2060. I'd hate for Melbourne to have to build a giant oval track that doesn't get used after the olympics.

No.

I don't want professional wrestling in the Olympics, I want pro-style wrestling in addition the greco-roman and freestyle.

Give athletes a little bit more leeway and have more lively matches as the athletes would be able to use Stone Cold Stunners, Attitude Adjustments and People's Elbows to finish off their opponents.
no. just...no. If 1/2 of the stuff you saw on TV was real; you'd have a body count.

I disagree to an extent. Especially when you have "hotbeds" of a sport. Like Soccer is huge in Latin America...not so much in the United States. Every Year we send our pigs to the slaughter with Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador and others and they take great joy with the ease and expediency of how they destroy us. A different format in the Olympics as to where you may be paired with not-so-dominant teams may help some clubs do better than they do in regional competition. I imagine other federations have the same make-up.

At the end of the day, however, I don't see a lot of dilution of product by allowing more sports.

I will say though that I much more enjoy sports where you keep score; not rely on judges to assign value to your technique.
If you love Soccer, you have the World Cup which is a bigger honor than the Olympics. Same goes for Basketball, Golf, Tennis all of which consider the Olympics a sideshow

The question is about fixing the games themselves; please do not go off on athlete behavior. You did stupid things when you were young too. Also, keep in mind this is the CDZ.... Please try to stay on topic and stay civil.

Two things come to mind on how to "fix" the games.

First off, it's no secret that the stadiums quickly become useless once the games leave town. They often fall into disrepair and become a sore spot with the local populous.

Here is a slideshow by ABC News

So my solution would be to do what the NFL did so successfully for several years with the Super Bowl. They rotated it from Miami to the Rose Bowl to New Orleans. Everyone loved it; the hotels were close by, the venues were mint.... Just rotate the Summer Olympics through 3 or 4 cities that have the infrastructure already in place and, of course, are willing to hold the Olympics. Los Angeles and Paris come to mind for example.. University Stadiums, roads, multi-cultural populations, airports, etc... are already in place. There doesn't need to be a lot of new construction for venues. And maybe every fifth Summer Games have a NATION put together a responsible bid that takes into account what will happen after the games leave. By utilizing a whole nation, you prevent a city from building a bunch of soccer stadiums it doesn't need for example. You may not have a great swimming venue in Toronto...but they may have a great one in Montreal; use it!

Secondly, the Winter Olympics should be expanded to include an awful lot more sports (more about this later) taking many from the Summer Olympics. Is there any reason that the martial arts, Basketball, Boxing, or handball can't be in the Winter Olympics? The largest benefit will be that these sports may (and should in my opinion) get more exposure.

Here are the 24 Winter Olympic events...
View attachment 517883

Vs the 50 Summer Olympic events...
View attachment 517881
Even it out. Weightlifting can be done at a Winter Olympics, right?

----

What else would I do? Glad you asked....

• I would stop the repeat Olympians who compete/medal for more than two Olympic Games. You get two in the same event and your are done. I say two Olympics because I would give someone a mulligan in case you don't do well. But I don't want to penalize someone who does well either. So you get two games in the same events....that's it. Now, if you're a swimmer who competes only in the 100M Backstroke for example in 2000 and 2004...feel free to come back in 2008 competing in the 2008 Olympics in the 200M Backstroke or any sport other than the 100M Backstroke. If you can make the team...no problem there.
  • I would have a lot more sports than is currently in the Olympics. I'd stop calling them sports for one thing. I'd say events or activities. If there is an activity that someone does on five continents (I think that is the acid test) that both genders can participate in...sure. Go for it. I wouldn't have poker or gambling...and no...not ballroom dancing. Cornhole...sure. Darts...sure. Axe throwing? Sure. Even Log Rolling. I'm not sure when the Olympics became some sort of "us" and "them" proposition as to where you need to start at the age of 5 and work daily until you're 16 to go to the games. I reject that premise. So I believe that other activities should be included and encouraged.
  • Limit athletes to either their nation of birth or make it to where they will have to had to have been a citizen of the nation they are competing for...for a certain amount of time....5 plus years I'd say. If America only sends two decathletes to the Olympics and you're the third best...you are an alternate. Sorry. You don't get to go as a Canadian because your Mom was Canadian or whatever.
  • Needless to say this as well...if you have outdoor plumbing, you compete as a man; indoor plumbing, you compete as a woman.
Some thoughts there.

What are yours. Please leave the politics out of it for a change.

1. Athletes must live in the country they are representing. No more athletes who live, train, and work in the US but compete for their country of birth.
2. No professionals, amateurs only. If you get paid to compete in your sport, you're out.

If you love Soccer, you have the World Cup which is a bigger honor than the Olympics. Same goes for Basketball, Golf, Tennis all of which consider the Olympics a sideshow
Well...good for them I suppose.

Another thing that would be good is if we actually had amateurs in the Olympics instead of the Kevin Durants of the world. Of course the Soviet Bloc was famous for sending professionals disguised as amateurs to the games. Our "dream team" was a result of their skirting of the rules.

Well...good for them I suppose.

Another thing that would be good is if we actually had amateurs in the Olympics instead of the Kevin Durants of the world. Of course the Soviet Bloc was famous for sending professionals disguised as amateurs to the games. Our "dream team" was a result of their skirting of the rules.
I find it hard to root for the Dream Team
NBA Players who have better things to do.
I suspect the Gold Medal gets thrown in a drawer somewhere

I find it hard to root for the Dream Team
NBA Players who have better things to do.
I suspect the Gold Medal gets thrown in a drawer somewhere

I'm with you on that. Back when sports mattered so much more to me than they do now...I used to closely follow the Olympic try-outs. Bobby Knight coached the 84 Olympic team (I think) and had this incredible pool of college talent to chose from. We could have won 3 medals if we could have sent 3 teams (like I don't know how Germany can send 2 different teams to the Bobsled course....WTF?).

I'm not sure the Olympics are necessary in our world today or even needed. National pride, and feeding egos seems to be the two big goals of the Olympics. I haven't watched since 1992 and have had no compelling reason to watch them.

What is the purpose of the Olympics anymore?

I'm with you on that. Back when sports mattered so much more to me than they do now...I used to closely follow the Olympic try-outs. Bobby Knight coached the 84 Olympic team (I think) and had this incredible pool of college talent to chose from. We could have won 3 medals if we could have sent 3 teams (like I don't know how Germany can send 2 different teams to the Bobsled course....WTF?).

Problem is that back then, College players stayed till they were Seniors and were available to the Olympic Team.

Now, they turn Pro after their Freshman year. I doubt we could field a good amateur team anymore

Problem is that back then, College players stayed till they were Seniors and were available to the Olympic Team.

Now, they turn Pro after their Freshman year. I doubt we could field a good amateur team anymore
As long as other nations are fielding amateurs too...it shouldn't matter that much.

Professional wrestling is theater. MMA? Maybe. Bowling, NASCAR (more like IROC--one type of car only)...sure.

What would you say to having the sports on an as-available basis? Like, for example, there may be a suitable road racing venue but not oval in a nation. In the US it wouldn't matter.... LA has Fontana for example. But what if the 2060 Melbourne games (for example) just has a road track...would you be okay with that or would it have to be something that just doesn't take place in 2060. I'd hate for Melbourne to have to build a giant oval track that doesn't get used after the olympics.

NASCAR does road courses too.

Too many cities are realizing the Olympics are a losing proposition. They build mega million facilities that are only used for two weeks and then abandoned. Most lack the hotel and mass transit infrastructure to handle the influx of people.

They should choose four permanent host cities in different continents and rotate the olympics

Forum List

Back