How will you protect your First Amendment ?

Press freedom in the US is nothing special but it does look like Trump is taking a hammer to it in order to deflect from his failure to control the virus.
My understanding is that your founders believed that a free press was an essential component in any functioning democracy. I think that we can all agree on that.
Being critical of Trump is not an offence. Its a bit shocking that the folk who wave their guns around are less vocal on this issue, A press that cant criticise the President is a threat to freedom.

He himself is destroying the free press, not fox or the right wing rags.

Give credit where credit is due. They are doing all they can to help..

Press freedom in the US is nothing special but it does look like Trump is taking a hammer to it in order to deflect from his failure to control the virus.
My understanding is that your founders believed that a free press was an essential component in any functioning democracy. I think that we can all agree on that.
Being critical of Trump is not an offence. Its a bit shocking that the folk who wave their guns around are less vocal on this issue, A press that cant criticise the President is a threat to freedom.
"Nothing special"? What could be meant by that? Does England have press freedom? Does France? I'm not talking about "some" or "in certain cases". Freedom of the press is like being pregnant; it is an either or situation.
If there is a problem in the U.S., it is that press freedom is not used enough, combined with the incredibly low level of reader comprehension.
Your press freedom ranks 45 on a world index.
"Your"? Assumptions and projections are dangerous.
No comment about English press freedom?
No link for this alleged rating?
Who said U.S. press freedom was the best?
What was said is that freedom is not used enough. That anything may be said as long as it is expressed as opinion should have been said, and is being said now.
While it may be understandable that other countries decide to prohibit some words or phrases, that does not alter the fact that this means "press freedom" is an exaggeration in that context. In any case, it is not words that damage, it is what a brain does with the information that may have negative results.
I do not trust a system that does not trust me to judge verbiage.
The link is in the OP. This is what it says.

Press freedom in the United States continued to suffer during President Donald Trump’s third year in office. Arrests, physical assaults, public denigration and the harassment of journalists continued in 2019, though the numbers of journalists arrested and assaulted were slightly lower than the year prior. Much of that ire has come from President Trump and his associates in the federal government, who have demonstrated the United States is no longer a champion of press freedom at home or abroad. This dangerous anti-press sentiment has trickled down to local governments, institutions and the American public. In March 2019, a leaked document revealed the US government was using a secret database tracking journalists, activists and others who border authorities believed should be stopped for questioning when crossing certain checkpoints along the US-Mexico border. A couple months later, the Justice Department charged Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange with 17 counts of the WWI-era Espionage Act. If he is convicted, this would set a dangerous precedent for journalists who publish classified US government information of public interest moving forward. Under President Trump, the White House has strategically replaced traditional forms of press access with those that limit the ability of journalists to ask questions of the administration. The last daily, televised White House press briefing led by a press secretary took place in March 2019, and since then the federal government has made multiple attempts to deny specific journalists and news outlets access to other opportunities for press engagement.

Of course it doesnt make the US a police state but it does trash the notion that your much vaunted first amendment places you above the rest of the world. It plainly doesnt.

That the press is compromised and does not do its job is in no way reflective of 1A rights.
When the press cannot criticise the government you have no rights.

They do not criticize, they fantasize, then fictionalize with clear political goals in mind, always to the benefit of the Democrats.

"Nothing special"? What could be meant by that? Does England have press freedom? Does France? I'm not talking about "some" or "in certain cases". Freedom of the press is like being pregnant; it is an either or situation.
If there is a problem in the U.S., it is that press freedom is not used enough, combined with the incredibly low level of reader comprehension.
What was said is that freedom is not used enough. That anything may be said as long as it is expressed as opinion should have been said, and is being said now.
While it may be understandable that other countries decide to prohibit some words or phrases, that does not alter the fact that this means "press freedom" is an exaggeration in that context. In any case, it is not words that damage, it is what a brain does with the information that may have negative results.

Press freedom in the United States continued to suffer during President Donald Trump’s third year in office. Arrests, physical assaults, public denigration and the harassment of journalists continued in 2019, though the numbers of journalists arrested and assaulted were slightly lower than the year prior. Much of that ire has come from President Trump and his associates in the federal government, who have demonstrated the United States is no longer a champion of press freedom at home or abroad. This dangerous anti-press sentiment has trickled down to local governments, institutions and the American public. In March 2019, a leaked document revealed the US government was using a secret database tracking journalists, activists and others who border authorities believed should be stopped for questioning when crossing certain checkpoints along the US-Mexico border. A couple months later, the Justice Department charged Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange with 17 counts of the WWI-era Espionage Act. If he is convicted, this would set a dangerous precedent for journalists who publish classified US government information of public interest moving forward. Under President Trump, the White House has strategically replaced traditional forms of press access with those that limit the ability of journalists to ask questions of the administration. The last daily, televised White House press briefing led by a press secretary took place in March 2019, and since then the federal government has made multiple attempts to deny specific journalists and news outlets access to other opportunities for press engagement.

Of course it doesnt make the US a police state but it does trash the notion that your much vaunted first amendment places you above the rest of the world. It plainly doesnt.

That the press is compromised and does not do its job is in no way reflective of 1A rights.
if you don't know by now that the press are the enemy, you are helpless
Ridiculous. The "press" is not the enemy, ignorance is.
....yes they are --you must be a hitlerite soaking up all the LIES and crap from them

Being critical of Trump is not an offence. Its a bit shocking that the folk who wave their guns around are less vocal on this issue, A press that cant criticise [sic] the President is a threat to freedom.
Is someone who exists only as a servile subject in a country with NO RIGHTS talking?

They do not criticize, they fantasize, then fictionalize with clear political goals in mind, always to the benefit of the Democrats.
There are many outlets with a right wing bias. You are over sensitive.

The press can't criticize Trump? Was that your Biden imitation???

With no where near the global coverage of the Left.

The Left's outlets are not mere bias. They are active operatives of the Left, seeking to destroy and replace.

So now you're all about protecting the 1st amendment? If you give me my flags and statues back, I'll attempt to read through your hypocrisy.

That's because 90% of our press is dominated by bigoted Democrats and they will not permit anything that resembles neutrality.

By who?

Some people see anything that isn't positively "right" as leftist. There is no objectivity.
Journalism is not a career chosen by unmotivated people. Most often, they are not essentially conservative. If that is judged "leftist", the definition has no meaning.

I'll use the second amendment. It will protect it pretty good, poofter sod.

When the "press" deliberately slants news for political purposes then they're no better than Pravda! With great power comes great responsibility. Journalists used to have ethics...now they have viewpoints!

Twitter and Facebook are not "the press"

And since you know nothing of our laws I will tell you that there is no instance where a private company or individual can violate one's first amendment rights.

The first amendment applies only to the government

Last edited:

When the "press" deliberately slants news for political purposes then they're no better than Pravda! With great power comes great responsibility. Journalists used to have ethics...now they have viewpoints!
Journalists always had viewpoints. Newspapers were always intended to promote ideas and agenda. Readers have to use their reason and filter what they read and choose to believe. Education has not done its job, and parents are the first line of education.

The Left's outlets are not mere bias. They are active operatives of the Left, seeking to destroy and replace.
Well it is exactly the opposite of the UK. If the "left" has better coverage it suggests that the right needs to try harder to explain their message. It doesnt justify the government interfering. Trump will start the Ministry of Truth next and then we can all have a chuckle.

I would trade all the voices on talk radio, Breitbart, FOX, MSNBC, and the “Grey Lady” herself ... for one free and well-functioning WikiLeaks!

Of course there’s no need for the government to shut any of them down, but for God’s sake ...

FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!

I have just been watching your police arrest a journalist filming a report.
That will not improve your freedom of the press rating.

Well it is exactly the opposite of the UK. If the "left" has better coverage it suggests that the right needs to try harder to explain their message. It doesnt justify the government interfering. Trump will start the Ministry of Truth next and then we can all have a chuckle.
Why don't you actually get a Bill of Rights for your little island before shooting your mouth off, ghoul?

Journalists always had viewpoints. Newspapers were always intended to promote ideas and agenda. Readers have to use their reason and filter what they read and choose to believe. Education has not done its job, and parents are the first line of education.
A real journalist looks past their "viewpoint" because his or her duty is to the truth! What we have now AREN'T journalists...they're advocates! We're a democracy that needs a well informed electorate. We don't have that now. If you're looking for truth you have to find it in between the lines of propaganda that the media puts out.
Education hasn't done it's job? Well for starters how about we have schools where students aren't bombarded with one side of an issue while "protected" from the other side? Liberals run the education system in this country and have for some time now. If you think education is failing then what you're REALLY saying is that liberals running education are failing!

Forum List

Back