How troops learn to sleep anywhere, any how, any way

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
980x.jpg

It’s something you learn from your first day of in-processing. Hurry up and wait is the order of the day and what better way to pass the “wait” than dozing off?

The next contributing factor is that troops are generally sleep deprived and have their sleep cycles interrupted constantly. Starting in basic training, a drill sergeant could wake everyone up at 0100 for sh*ts and giggles, have a special someone pull fire guard at 0300, and wake up for the rest of the day at 0500.

Read more: How troops learn to sleep anywhere, any how, any way

Hey..............I learned how to take mini cat naps while standing in formation.

But, if you REALLY want a test of how well you can sleep in extreme conditions, try being on a carrier in the berthing area just under the number 3 wire.

..I remember doing a field exercise from 0-dark-thirty to past sunrise the next day
..when I was in guard duty, we also had to practice and do a parade on Friday--so from Wednesday to Saturday morning we got maybe 2 hours' sleep per night....
...but back then I was fine..tired a little--but more alert in the early morning guard hours
..also in guard duty we sometimes did ''Running Guard'' hours of 4 on 4 off for 3 times--then 8 hours off, then the 3- 4 on/off cycle again....this would be for a 2 or 3 day duty

....but even though you were off for 8 hours, you were still on duty/going to chow/relaxing/getting ready for next guard/etc

we did a 24 hour movement at 29 Palms.....I fixed up a nice, ''soft'' area at the back of the truck and slept......most everyone else slept while sitting

980x.jpg

It’s something you learn from your first day of in-processing. Hurry up and wait is the order of the day and what better way to pass the “wait” than dozing off?

The next contributing factor is that troops are generally sleep deprived and have their sleep cycles interrupted constantly. Starting in basic training, a drill sergeant could wake everyone up at 0100 for sh*ts and giggles, have a special someone pull fire guard at 0300, and wake up for the rest of the day at 0500.

Read more: How troops learn to sleep anywhere, any how, any way
Sleep deprivation will let you sleep standing up at a rock concert in a thunderstorm.

Nothing else to do when your at hurry up and wait and the hours put in can wear you the fuck out. I once spent 3 days straight trying to get a computer communication system running on a field exercise. The couple hours a managed to grab during that time was spent on the ground in the rain.

Forum List

Back