How To: Ignore

The great thing about the Ignore feature is that you don't have to read their shit in the first place and get all bent out of shape. Saves a lot of time and my BP doesn't go through the roof. I mean c'mon, some of the crap around here is ridiculous.

I've been chastised a lot of times for not putting people on ignore and replying instead. But, the thing of it is I used to have a guy trolling me. It became stalking and I put him on ignore. Then I didn't see he was posting personal information about me on the Internet. In one instance he followed me onto a board (and I have NO idea how he found me under another board name on a small board specific to the state I live in.) He got my address because I took a picture of a Bronco I was selling at the time. A pic showing the front of my house was all he needed to come up my address. I still have no idea how that works.

Days later that resulted in the cat being strung up with hope and hung from a tree branch in the back yard. Then someone shot through my kitchen window while I was at home. That brought an army of police to the door in under 3 minutes. If you had watched the series Prodigal Son last night, you would realize that it can be dangerous to ignore trolls. Forewarned of forearmed.

What got you in trouble was not the Ignore feature but you posting that picture of the Bronco, presumably your license plate was visible maybe. The other thing was how did he know you put him on Ignore? Did you tell him? If so, mistake #2. There's a reason why posters are not supposed to divulge information about themselves, and if Porter Rockwell is your real name then you kinda helped him find you. If so, mistake #3.

One other thing: it's easy around here to get pissed at somebody, not just because of a difference of opinion but also due to a personal attack(s) that could ensue and turn into a flame war. DON'T DO IT. There's no point in it, no value to you and maybe you are motivating somebody to come after you. Don't say nothin', just walk away from the keyboard and don't respond to an asshole who is probably just trying to piss you off. Don't give that person the satisfaction of yanking your chin. In my book, that makes YOU the winner.

The great thing about the Ignore feature is that you don't have to read their shit in the first place and get all bent out of shape. Saves a lot of time and my BP doesn't go through the roof. I mean c'mon, some of the crap around here is ridiculous.

I've been chastised a lot of times for not putting people on ignore and replying instead. But, the thing of it is I used to have a guy trolling me. It became stalking and I put him on ignore. Then I didn't see he was posting personal information about me on the Internet. In one instance he followed me onto a board (and I have NO idea how he found me under another board name on a small board specific to the state I live in.) He got my address because I took a picture of a Bronco I was selling at the time. A pic showing the front of my house was all he needed to come up my address. I still have no idea how that works.

Days later that resulted in the cat being strung up with hope and hung from a tree branch in the back yard. Then someone shot through my kitchen window while I was at home. That brought an army of police to the door in under 3 minutes. If you had watched the series Prodigal Son last night, you would realize that it can be dangerous to ignore trolls. Forewarned of forearmed.

What got you in trouble was not the Ignore feature but you posting that picture of the Bronco, presumably your license plate was visible maybe. The other thing was how did he know you put him on Ignore? Did you tell him? If so, mistake #2. There's a reason why posters are not supposed to divulge information about themselves, and if Porter Rockwell is your real name then you kinda helped him find you. If so, mistake #3.

One other thing: it's easy around here to get pissed at somebody, not just because of a difference of opinion but also due to a personal attack(s) that could ensue and turn into a flame war. DON'T DO IT. There's no point in it, no value to you and maybe you are motivating somebody to come after you. Don't say nothin', just walk away from the keyboard and don't respond to an asshole who is probably just trying to piss you off. Don't give that person the satisfaction of yanking your chin. In my book, that makes YOU the winner.
Personal attacks where people flat out lie about things I said? Go on and on about my failings as a human being for post after post? Pretty hard to just walk away from. And if I do, they follow me to another thread and start again. That is what Ignore is for.

Personal attacks where people flat out lie about things I said? Go on and on about my failings as a human being for post after post? Pretty hard to just walk away from. And if I do, they follow me to another thread and start again. That is what Ignore is for.

Sorry that you have to put up with that. One hopes that after a period of time where the asshole(s) don't get the response back from you that they'll move on to some other lucky person. Put 'em on Ignore and don't even look at what they write; it's the only way I can see to avoid becoming a victim. Out of sight leads to out of mind.

Sorry that you have to put up with that. One hopes that after a period of time where the asshole(s) don't get the response back from you that they'll move on to some other lucky person. Put 'em on Ignore and don't even look at what they write; it's the only way I can see to avoid becoming a victim. Out of sight leads to out of mind.
Exactly!

I didn't start this thread to discuss to-ignore-or-not-to-ignore. I just needed to do it in the new system and I couldn't figure it out. Now I know how so I thought I'd share it for any of you who don't already know how to work the new platform. But I appreciate all the comments.
You left out the part in which the ignorer tells the ignoree that he is being ignored.

Oh yes, they love that. :)

Did you know I have so many on ignore since the virus broke out?

That is why I just answer from time to time and then it could be days before I write something retarded to that poster again?

It make it more fun...

Notice how long it has been since I wrote you?
Why ignore idiot posters? It’s much more fun laughing at their posts and exposing their ignorance. I do greatly enjoy demeaning them too.
I have scant time for TDSers who only post 'gotcha' crap and always post the 'last word' whether or not it is relevant to the post or not.
Agreed.

So many posters are just trolls, trying to piss people off, and unfortunately I do get pissed off, and I dont need that.

IF a poster makes ridiculous provocative statements on a fairly regular basis or engages you in an argument then lies blatantly about supposed factoids, *poof* to the ignore list.

I am 62 and do not have enough time left to waste on such bullshit.
I've never put a poster on ignore because of their opinions, not even crazy ones. What's the sense in coming to a political message board if you don't want to hear what others are thinking?
I did not say I put a poster on ignore because of their opinions.

I didn't start this thread to discuss to-ignore-or-not-to-ignore. I just needed to do it in the new system and I couldn't figure it out. Now I know how so I thought I'd share it for any of you who don't already know how to work the new platform. But I appreciate all the comments.
You left out the part in which the ignorer tells the ignoree that he is being ignored.

That is why I just answer from time to time and then it could be days before I write something retarded to that poster again?

It make it more fun...

Why ignore idiot posters? It’s much more fun laughing at their posts and exposing their ignorance. I do greatly enjoy demeaning them too.
I have scant time for TDSers who only post 'gotcha' crap and always post the 'last word' whether or not it is relevant to the post or not.
Agreed.

So many posters are just trolls, trying to piss people off, and unfortunately I do get pissed off, and I dont need that.

IF a poster makes ridiculous provocative statements on a fairly regular basis or engages you in an argument then lies blatantly about supposed factoids, *poof* to the ignore list.

I've never put a poster on ignore because of their opinions, not even crazy ones. What's the sense in coming to a political message board if you don't want to hear what others are thinking?
Have you got Jim Bowie on ignore? Because I was replying to him. Maybe you couldn't see that.

Good gravy, Porter. What did you SAY to that guy?

I put him on ignore. He was arguing with me over whether or not a child born in the United States whose parents came here without papers is a citizen. In that case, I was a guardian for an abandoned child whose mother was Honduran and the father Mexican. Neither had papers when they came here. A roommate of the mother gave me the child (as neighbors knew I used to be the Justice of the Peace before magistrates existed.) Anyway, I went through courtroom hearings and was going to adopt the boy and the judge settled the issue with the Honduran government and BICE officials present. He declared the child to be an American and subject to the jurisdiction of the court. So, he was allowed to come home with me as his foster parent. I saw not point to keep arguing with the guy over that. So I put him on ignore.

That whizzes a real troll off. You don't ignore them. They are right no matter what and if they are computer savvy, your life may be at risk.

And yet you read their responses, so just stop and no reason to start a thread like this knowing all you are doing is inviting attacks.

Also remember you enjoy starting attack threads in the Zone, so you are not innocent at all like other posters have stated in their response.

You have attacked many posters on here while defending others that are as vile just because they are left.

It make it more fun...

Agreed.

Have you got Jim Bowie on ignore? Because I was replying to him. Maybe you couldn't see that.
You just said you like to hear what others are thinking.

So much to respond to. The picture of the Bronco was a frontal view so no to the tag being visible. Somehow you can get a person's address from a picture of the front of their house.

He realized I put him on ignore when I ignored him - posts and PMs demanding answers.

And no, Porter Rockwell was a famous lawman of the Utah territory in the mid to 1800s that was almost as famous as Pat Garrett Wyatt Earp. He was best remembered as the personal bodyguard of Joseph Smith, the "prophet" of the Mormons (a small fact I forgot when I created the board name. I'm not a Mormon - and have nothing against them.)

Your other advice is probably pretty sound. The thing that causes the most problems are people that troll and try to get an emotional response from you. That leads to harsher and harsher language until they nail someone by preying upon the bias or prejudices of someone else in charge. When I feed people what they're feeding me, it leads to a pissing match. When they get what they were after, they can report you and get rid of you. It's just the way all these discussion boards operate. The trolls are good at what they do, but I cannot afford to ignore them. I was walking between the dining area and the living room when that shot was fired. A couple of more steps and that might have been me. Trolls have serious emotional issues and most boards give a lot of latitude to them rather than realizing that some people feed off of generating emotional responses from regular posters.

So much to respond to. The picture of the Bronco was a frontal view so no to the tag being visible. Somehow you can get a person's address from a picture of the front of their house.

He realized I put him on ignore when I ignored him - posts and PMs demanding answers.

And no, Porter Rockwell was a famous lawman of the Utah territory in the mid to 1800s that was almost as famous as Pat Garrett Wyatt Earp. He was best remembered as the personal bodyguard of Joseph Smith, the "prophet" of the Mormons (a small fact I forgot when I created the board name. I'm not a Mormon - and have nothing against them.)

Your other advice is probably pretty sound. The thing that causes the most problems are people that troll and try to get an emotional response from you. That leads to harsher and harsher language until they nail someone by preying upon the bias or prejudices of someone else in charge. When I feed people what they're feeding me, it leads to a pissing match. When they get what they were after, they can report you and get rid of you. It's just the way all these discussion boards operate. The trolls are good at what they do, but I cannot afford to ignore them. I was walking between the dining area and the living room when that shot was fired. A couple of more steps and that might have been me. Trolls have serious emotional issues and most boards give a lot of latitude to them rather than realizing that some people feed off of generating emotional responses from regular posters.
Usually when we take pictures with these newfangled smart phones, the time, date, and GPS location are encoded in the picture file. It is possible to turn that feature off I think.

Ignore is for pussies. I do ignore DE 50% of the time for the lag factor, though.
Everyone ignores him and the Jewish Sailboat Captain and Captain Fanny Pack at times...

I do not know if ignore is for pussies because some deserve it ( like me ) and others just toss in there until things calm down...

It make it more fun...

Agreed.

You just said you like to hear what others are thinking.

Usually when we take pictures with these newfangled smart phones, the time, date, and GPS location are encoded in the picture file. It is possible to turn that feature off I think.

Thanks. I will go to wherever my cellphone came from (I don't even know that) and ask them. It sucks being an old Luddite.

Just hope Old Lady learn how to block PM'S one day... When I did my life became so much happier on here!
Bruce, I made a light joke of your capitalization of PM'S (as opposed to PM's) and it got deleted due to it being offensive.

I appologise if that joke offended you. It was not my intent to offend but to lighten the mood abit.

Just hope Old Lady learn how to block PM'S one day... When I did my life became so much happier on here!
Bruce, I made a light joke of your capitalization of PM'S (as opposed to PM's) and it got deleted due to it being offensive.

I appologise if that joke offended you. It was not my intent to offend but to lighten the mood abit.

"It was not my intent to offend but to lighten the mood abit."

I will lighten the mood then....Jim Bowie is now Quasi-SJW and possibly is THINKING of going Vegan :omg:

"It was not my intent to offend but to lighten the mood abit."

I will lighten the mood then....Jim Bowie is now Quasi-SJW and possibly is THINKING of going Vegan :omg:

And you will be voting for Biden from Germany!:auiqs.jpg:

Bowie will be joining Cortez on tour to promote Democratic Socialism...

And

Old Lady will be reading this and demanding that we learn how to ignore those like me!

Forum List

Back