How to eat like you're on the Greek island 'where people forget to die.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Ikaria has been called “the island where people forget to die”.

On this tiny island exists a culture that’s rich in social traditions, age-old Greek food customs and valuable lessons on how to live a healthy and long life.

The unassuming island has been identified as a ‘Blue Zone’ – an area where its inhabitants are recognised for their longevity. The average age at death from natural causes in Ikaria is nearly 10 years higher than in other parts of the world, including Greece.

“A combination of factors explain it, including geography, culture, diet, lifestyle and outlook,” reads the Blue Zones website, detailing the dietary and lifestyle factors behind Ikaria's health-related fame. “[Locals] enjoy strong red wine, late-night domino games and a relaxed pace of life that ignores clocks.”

How to eat like you're on the Greek island 'where people forget to die'

The longest-lived Ikarians tended to be poor people living in the island’s highlands. They exercised mindlessly by just gardening, walking to their neighbors house or doing their own yard work. The lesson to us: Engineer more mindless movement into our lives.

People are just becoming lazy (with tech) and eat too much and eat the wrong things, MOST people anyway, I'm sure not any on this forum are lazy or overeat.

The older people living on the island also did habitual physical activity, had a noon siesta and engaged in lots of social activities.

maybe i'll lay down on the job today....

~S~

“[Locals] enjoy strong red wine, late-night domino games and a relaxed pace of life that ignores clocks.”

The pace of life is the killer. That is what will ultimately change the place. Not restaurants.

The best thing that ever happened for my health was getting rid of my alarm clock.

I have always eaten .unprocessed foods in fact if anything had more than a a few ingredients on the label I won't but it and I grow my own veggies. I buy my eggs and meat products from a local farm so I know exactly where my food comes from.

It's a little more expensive but Id rather give up some other silly luxury than skimp on the quality of the food I eat

The longest-lived Ikarians tended to be poor people living in the island’s highlands. They exercised mindlessly by just gardening, walking to their neighbors house or doing their own yard work. The lesson to us: Engineer more mindless movement into our lives.

People are just becoming lazy (with tech) and eat too much and eat the wrong things, MOST people anyway, I'm sure not any on this forum are lazy or overeat.
If you want healthy food you either have to pay 3 or 4 times more
for the best quality food, or grow and raise your own. It's just how it is.

That being said , I recently started making my own bread and
will never again buy that cheap white stuff they call bread.

At first, I was really surprised how easy it was . Now I'm onto exploring
different kinds of flours and other healthy ingredients .

Pasta is next.

Last edited:
from the OP's link:

"Locals ate a diet rich in olive oil, fish, coffee, herbal tea, honey, beans legumes, fruits and vegetables. Although they did eat meat, sugar and most dairy products, they ate limited amounts."

Great choices, very wise people!:thup:

from the OP's link:

"Locals ate a diet rich in olive oil, fish, coffee, herbal tea, honey, beans legumes, fruits and vegetables. Although they did eat meat, sugar and most dairy products, they ate limited amounts."

Great choices, very wise people!:thup:
If you can manage to replace sugar (especially processed and artificial) with real honey, that alone will add years to your life.

What are you saying? The chip makers put nutrients back into potato chips...

Absolutely... they even enrich them with minerals! Like salt, sodium chloride, NaCl to name a few.

Absolutely... they even enrich them with minerals! Like salt, sodium chloride, NaCl to name a few.

I never ate Pringle's again after seeing this.

I never ate Pringle's again after seeing this.

I will eat Fritos from time to time... only 3 ingredients... corn, oil and salt.

I have found that those who worry about healthy choices every hour die at a much younger age than the rest.........just saying

I eat anything I want. My lipid levels were just checked...Total was 170....LDL was 75...HDL was 56............Heredity plays more in to this than anything..........Stress also

New Topics

Forum List

Back