How the 'Western mind' was shaped by the Medieval Church

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Most research on human psychology focuses on Western societies, but the way people in the West think can be traced to changes in family structures in the Middle Ages.

Upon entering a psychology laboratory, you and a small group of other participants are tasked with matching a line to one of three other lines of varying lengths. Participants are asked in succession to state aloud which of these line segments have the same length. Sometimes the others’ choices are the same as yours. But occasionally they all seem to agree with each other but not with you.
When it’s your turn to voice your judgments, do you go along with your peers, or stick with your initial assessment?
It could depend a great deal on where you are from.
This experimental task, which has fascinated psychologists and undergraduates alike since the mid-20th Century, shows that an important fraction of people will conform to the inaccurate responses of their peers. This occurs even when the judgement is easy: when people are alone or answer first in a group, they give the correct answers more than 98% of the time.
Such findings raise two questions. First, despite entering the textbooks as how “people” think, nearly all studies examining this effect were conducted among US students. Yet social commentators, going back to at least Alexis De Tocqueville, have noted that Americans are particularly individualistic and independent. So, are Americans good psychological representatives of Homo sapiens more broadly, as the textbooks imply? Second, why was this result so striking to both researchers and their students?

Yes, we are absolutely individualistic and independent.

"individualistic and independent". Ha ha ha!

If Trump told his cult to throw themselves over Niagra Falls to gain enlightenment you could have up to 70 million taking the plunge - sheep & lemmings spring to mind.

If Trump told his cult to throw themselves over Niagra Falls to gain enlightenment you could have up to 70 million taking the plunge - sheep & lemmings spring to mind.

That's a remarkable accusation from someone pretending to be from somewhere else.

That's a remarkable accusation from someone pretending to be from somewhere else.
Not with you! Where am I supposed to be pretending to be from?

The UK.
What makes you think I'm not in the UK?
My extensive knowledge of US Geography, History & Culture?

The UK.
No. That's not it. Your trolling.

The UK.
I can assure you I live in the UK. What would be the point in pretending I live here.

Is it a Trump thing? - You automatically disbelief everything everyone tells you?

As for trolling many of my posts are about music. I have left-wing views and give as good as I get.
I only ever use bad language if someone attacks me with it.

What have I specifically said that gives you the false impression that I'm trolling?

The UK.
I can assure you I live in the UK. What would be the point in pretending I live here.

Is it a Trump thing? - You automatically disbelief everything everyone tells you?

As for trolling many of my posts are about music. I have left-wing views and give as good as I get.
I only ever use bad language if someone attacks me with it.

What have I specifically said that gives you the false impression that I'm trolling?
Why would you bring anything to do with Trump into a thread which has nothing to do with him?

I wouldn't say "disbelief". I would say very, very, very skeptical.

In your OP you claim Americans are more "individualistic and independent" thinking than Europeans.

I challenged that assumption by pointing out that 70 million Americans voted for Trump who trust me would never get elected as an MP in the UK let alone the leader of the country.

In your OP you claim Americans are more "individualistic and independent" thinking than Europeans.

I challenged that assumption by pointing out that 70 million Americans voted for Trump who trust me would never get elected as an MP in the UK let alone the leader of the country.
Because the other option was Biden.

Americans are more individualistic and independent.

Because the other option was Biden.

Americans are more individualistic and independent.
Yea whatever - keep taking the meds!

What a stupid derail by an idiot.

Forum List

Back