How the Seven Deadly Sins Began as 'Eight Evil Thoughts'

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In the fourth century, a Christian monk named Evagrius Ponticus wrote down what’s known as the “eight evil thoughts”: gluttony, lust, avarice, anger, sloth, sadness, vainglory and pride.

Evagrius wasn’t writing for a general audience. As an ascetic monk in the Eastern Christian church, he was writing to other monks about how these eight thoughts could interfere with their spiritual practice. Evagrius’ student, John Cassian, brought these ideas to the Western church, where they were translated from Greek to Latin. In the sixth century, St. Gregory the Great—who would become Pope Gregory I—rearranged them in his commentary on the Book of Job, removing “sloth” and adding “envy.” Instead of giving “pride” its own place on the list, he described it as the ruler of the other seven vices, which became known as the seven deadly sins.

I had no idea each character in Gilligan's Island was to represent one of the seven deadly sins. That's a bit before my time.

In the fourth century, a Christian monk named Evagrius Ponticus wrote down what’s known as the “eight evil thoughts”: gluttony, lust, avarice, anger, sloth, sadness, vainglory and pride.

Evagrius wasn’t writing for a general audience. As an ascetic monk in the Eastern Christian church, he was writing to other monks about how these eight thoughts could interfere with their spiritual practice. Evagrius’ student, John Cassian, brought these ideas to the Western church, where they were translated from Greek to Latin. In the sixth century, St. Gregory the Great—who would become Pope Gregory I—rearranged them in his commentary on the Book of Job, removing “sloth” and adding “envy.” Instead of giving “pride” its own place on the list, he described it as the ruler of the other seven vices, which became known as the seven deadly sins.

I had no idea each character in Gilligan's Island was to represent one of the seven deadly sins. That's a bit before my time.
Wow this is too heavy for me to comment on tonight. I'll have to wait until morning.Hope I don't tee off the spirit of Pope Gregory 1

The seven deadly sins may appear to have begun as eight evil thoughts, but before that, it was nine objectionable inclinations.

I wonder when they'll cancel Gilligan's Island for portraying the natives in a racist way.

Forum List

Back