How the Right Went Wrong

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
I just finished reading an article in <a href=http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1599374,00.html>TIME</a> and have a few thoughts on the matter.

While Karen Tumulty's article points out the apparent confusion and soul-searching amongst conservatives, she misses the real reason for the disarray in the conservative movement. That being that the modern conservative movement has abandoned its core values...Small government...fiscal restraint...individual liberties. The only exception being an obsession with religious, as in Christian, values which borders on the pathological. And even then, that focus is on the retributive aspects rather than the redemptive aspects of Christianity. Today's conservative movement bears only a passing resemblance to that of Ronald Reagan, and none at all to the conservatism of Barry Goldwater and William F. Buckley Jr., two of American conservatism's giants. Barry Goldwater would have been appalled at today's so-called conservatives, as much for their lack of vision as for their mean spiritedness, expressing a growing concern for the movement even when Reagan's star was in ascendance. Ad William F. Buckley Jr. declared that Bush is not a "true conservative".

If conservatives want to regain their intellectual and moral footing, they need to return to their core values, all of them. Smaller government, fiscal restraint, individual liberties, and religious values tempered with the understanding that America is a nation of more than one religion, and that all can lead us to the same goal.

No we have left wingers telling the right where conservatives went wrong

Plus, Time is a left wing rag and has smeared Reagan many times

If Conservatives go back to Ronald Reagan conservatism, libs will get their asses kicked as they did in 1980 and 1984

Attachments

• $clinton_memorial.jpg
    $clinton_memorial.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 118
If Conservatives go back to Ronald Reagan conservatism, libs will get their asses kicked as they did in 1980 and 1984

I agree. Reagan did for Republicans what someone like Jim Webb could end up doing for Democrats: pulling over those who say, usually I go along with the team, but this is too much bullshit for me.

I agree. Reagan did for Republicans what someone like Jim Webb could end up doing for Democrats: pulling over those who say, usually I go along with the team, but this is too much bullshit for me.

Jim Webb? He is a kook

Ronald Reagan came in after Pres Peaunt and cleaned up a hell of an economic mess and took down the Soviet Union without firing a shot

His tax cuts gave the US over ten years of economic growth and made the US the economic superpower it is today

No we have left wingers telling the right where conservatives went wrong

Plus, Time is a left wing rag and has smeared Reagan many times

As a "left-winger", I'm probably closer to being a Goldwater conservative than you'll ever be. As for the TIME article, had you read it, you'd find it contrary to your preconceived notions.

It's unlikely that today's red-meat conservatives would ever go back to a Reganesque conservatism...It's to genteel for their slash-and-burn politics. It's been decades since Goldwater conservatism wasn't considered too liberal to be conservative.

As a "left-winger", I'm probably closer to being a Goldwater conservative than you'll ever be. As for the TIME article, had you read it, you'd find it contrary to your preconceived notions.

It's unlikely that today's red-meat conservatives would ever go back to a Reganesque conservatism...It's to genteel for their slash-and-burn politics. It's been decades since Goldwater conservatism wasn't considered too liberal to be conservative.

and what election did Goldwater win?

I rememebr how libs dismissed Reagan, and how the Pres peanut people were looking forward to taking on "a grade B actor"

Speaking of red meat - why are libs so scared of Fox News? Here is the #1 cable news network and the Dems pull out of the debate and look silly doing it. The try to defend their actions with the usual lame excuses

There are some moonbats who agree with me - this makes the Dems look very foolish

Forum List

Back