How the Bengals failed Joe Burrow

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

n this new era of elite quarterback preservation, we were supposed to be beyond this.

We were supposed to be through with the days of the injury cart ferrying off the most prized franchise commodity, often to the disgust of every competitor on the field. Rule changes were made for this. Offensive philosophies were augmented. Equipment was enhanced. All in the name of extending the longevity of special talents — in the hopes that guys like Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray and Deshaun Watson can all play into their 40s.

But as the Cincinnati Bengals have taught us this season, the NFL can go only so far to protect the best parts of the league’s product. The NFL can penalize defenseless hits, dirty shots and earhole-slapping concussions — but it can’t force franchises to build the right way around a quarterback. It can’t dictate scheme tweaks that are meant to preserve the future. And it sure as hell can’t fix bad management.

Any future QB drafted by the Bengals should refuse to play for them.

n this new era of elite quarterback preservation, we were supposed to be beyond this.

We were supposed to be through with the days of the injury cart ferrying off the most prized franchise commodity, often to the disgust of every competitor on the field. Rule changes were made for this. Offensive philosophies were augmented. Equipment was enhanced. All in the name of extending the longevity of special talents — in the hopes that guys like Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray and Deshaun Watson can all play into their 40s.

But as the Cincinnati Bengals have taught us this season, the NFL can go only so far to protect the best parts of the league’s product. The NFL can penalize defenseless hits, dirty shots and earhole-slapping concussions — but it can’t force franchises to build the right way around a quarterback. It can’t dictate scheme tweaks that are meant to preserve the future. And it sure as hell can’t fix bad management.

LESSEE: That amounts to 8 hits per game! ZOCK! BLAM! SMASH! Too bad it tok the Bengals head coach HALF THE SEASON to not address a glaring issue to protect his own QB. I guess they just didn't like this Burrows guy! But then, no one said it wasn't a dangerous game with risks, that why you get paid the big bucks, and if you ever take ALL of the danger out it, that'll be the end of football.

No one wants to watch tag football. Certainly not I.

The OP's choice for the new NFL helmet:
1606259440097.png

It’s a dangerous sport, but it’s not like every QB tears their ACL during the course of a season. This was one freak injury. As far as Burrow I didn’t like his cockiness and think Herbert is the better QB, but I do feel bad for him that he got a serious injury on a rookie contract.

LESSEE: That amounts to 8 hits per game! ZOCK! BLAM! SMASH! Too bad it tok the Bengals head coach HALF THE SEASON to not address a glaring issue to protect his own QB. I guess they just didn't like this Burrows guy! But then, no one said it wasn't a dangerous game with risks, that why you get paid the big bucks, and if you ever take ALL of the danger out it, that'll be the end of football.

No one wants to watch tag football. Certainly not I.
Carson Palmer also had what should have been a career ending injury while being QB for the Bengals.

The trend is disturbing and now the word is out. Play for the Bungs and it will be your last season.

It’s a dangerous sport, but it’s not like every QB tears their ACL during the course of a season. This was one freak injury. As far as Burrow I didn’t like his cockiness and think Herbert is the better QB, but I do feel bad for him that he got a serious injury on a rookie contract.
I don't think you understand the incompetence of this particular franchise.

Either they can't put a decent team together for the last 40 years, or they refuse to do so.

The bottom line is, in today's NFL not putting a decent line around a promising QB is like not wearing a seat belt in a car while in a demolition durby.

If I were Burrows, I would consider suing the owner for gross negligence

Until the Brown family sells the team the Bengals will be losers.
They will never sell. Once the owner steps down it goes to the daughter.

More QB's will wind up with career ending injuries in Cincinnati unless something is done here.

Either they can't put a decent team together for the last 40 years, or they refuse to do so.

The bottom line is, in today's NFL not putting a decent line around a promising QB is like not wearing a seat belt in a car while in a demolition durby.

Maybe Trever Lawrence is taking notes?

If I were Burrows, I would make a stink about this.

But the problem is, he is just a kid. He needs to be coached on what to do here for his own safety in the future.

Carson Palmer flat out refused to play for Mike Brown after his almost career ending injury. His choice was, sit the bench and flush $50 million down the commode or play. He chose to sit the bench. But Carson was not a kid. He had brains, and he was a man. Burrows needs to make the same stand.

But the problem is, he is just a kid. He needs to be coached on what to do here for his own safety in the future.

Carson Palmer flat out refused to play for Mike Brown after his almost career ending injury. His choice was, sit the bench and flush $50 million down the commode or play. He chose to sit the bench. But Carson was not a kid. He had brains, and he was a man. Burrows needs to make the same stand.

Before the draft Burrow was rumored to have told the Bengals not to draft him. He just didn’t have any leverage

Before the draft Burrow was rumored to have told the Bengals not to draft him. He just didn’t have any leverage
Any top level quarterback, especially one as uniquely talented as Burrow, that gets drafted by the last place team with the first pick is in danger. They aren't good so thats why they pick a great offensive weapon, but with no talent to protect him. Got a good qb, get good receivers is the mentality. This wont be the last time it happens.

Any top level quarterback, especially one as uniquely talented as Burrow, that gets drafted by the last place team with the first pick is in danger. They aren't good so thats why they pick a great offensive weapon, but with no talent to protect him. Got a good qb, get good receivers is the mentality. This wont be the last time it happens.
Cowell. Browns burnt through qb for how many years? When will they learn to build line and weapons first. Maybe a run centric offense for rookie qb also would help

Say what?

Ahhh...they played in the Super Bowl. 30 other teams didn't....Bengals are looking good for next season.

Forum List

Back