How politics has changed in the US

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today. Thomas Sowell

Thomas is perhaps the greatest conservative intellectual of our time. And as such, ignored by the Left

They don't dare take him on because they know they would lose if they did.

Sowell is amazing. He's the only economist I know that can predict a trend with only two data points. Everybody else needs lots of points, but Sowell rarely uses more than two, especially when he is supporting one of his pet right wing theories.

He has a lot of books available on audible that is available their plus subscription (think of it as a netflix for audiobooks. Their regular plans offer it, but plus is a cheaper streaming only subscription) I try to listen to books from across the spectrum, but I haven't got to his stuff yet. I have some of them on my "todo list", though.

If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today. Thomas Sowell

Thomas is perhaps the greatest conservative intellectual of our time. And as such, ignored by the Left

Quite possibly. However, the Left can easily box him in and silence his voice. If they haven't then I am certain they shall.

Sowell is amazing. He's the only economist I know that can predict a trend with only two data points. Everybody else needs lots of points, but Sowell rarely uses more than two, especially when he is supporting one of his pet right wing theories.
Thanks for not adressing anything in my OP and for lynching another negro who escaped your plantation, seeing as he was once a Marxist

“That people on the political left have a certain set of opinions, just as people do in other parts of the ideological spectrum, is not surprising. What is surprising, however, is how often the opinions of those on the left are accompanied by hostility and even hatred.” – Thomas Sowell

“Anyone who studies the history of ideas should notice how much more often people on the political left, more so than others, denigrate and demonize those who disagree with them — instead of answering their arguments.” – Thomas Sowell

“In a sense, the political left’s attempts to silence ideas they cannot, or will not, debate are a confession of intellectual bankruptcy.” – Thomas Sowell

What changed him? Working for the Federal government changed him, that, and half a brain

As for economics, he pretty much nails it.

“The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

Last edited:

Quite possibly. However, the Left can easily box him in and silence his voice. If they haven't then I am certain they shall.
Thomas is elderly now and retired. You had no idea because the media has ignored him his entire career.

If you are a conservative, the Left either flat out ignores you, that is, those that are feared the most. Others are demonized and mocked, usually those who are more feeble minded and more easy to pick on.

Last edited:
Here is one of the most brilliant quotes he has ever made

“The political left has never understood that, if you give the government enough power to create ‘social justice,’ you have given it enough power to create despotism. Millions of people around the world have paid with their lives for overlooking that simple fact.” – Thomas Sowell

The issue is not seeking "justice" for the masses, rather, the issue is control. That is why Marxism, or governments similar to it, have picked that ideology. It is why the most despotic forms of government of the modern era have leaned that direction. To demand all people are just, all people spend all their money justly, and all people act and have speech that is just, is the most oppressive form of government man can create.

Perhaps C. S. Lewis put it better

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

“The left is not necessarily aiming at totalitarianism. But their know-it-all mindset leads repeatedly and pervasively in that direction, even if by small steps, each of which might be called ‘micro-totalitarianism.” – Thomas Sowell

Thanks for not adressing anything in my OP and for lynching another negro who escaped your plantation, seeing as he was once a Marxist

“That people on the political left have a certain set of opinions, just as people do in other parts of the ideological spectrum, is not surprising. What is surprising, however, is how often the opinions of those on the left are accompanied by hostility and even hatred.” – Thomas Sowell

“Anyone who studies the history of ideas should notice how much more often people on the political left, more so than others, denigrate and demonize those who disagree with them — instead of answering their arguments.” – Thomas Sowell

“In a sense, the political left’s attempts to silence ideas they cannot, or will not, debate are a confession of intellectual bankruptcy.” – Thomas Sowell

What changed him? Working for the Federal government changed him, that, and half a brain

As for economics, he pretty much nails it.

“The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

Thank you for those 4 Sowell quotes. As a group,they perfectly explain why right wingers love him so much. The top 3/4ths of the crap he says is just insults thrown at liberals, and remainder is nothing more than discredited theory. That's all it takes for any right winger to rise to the top of your crazy bunch.

Forum List

Back