How Netflix Selects Material

The real measure of Netflix success is certainly not their rating system but the number of subscriptions. In 2016 there were 89 million Netflix subscriptions worldwide. By 2020, the number was 203 million and in 2022 it's 220 million. Netflix hopes to add a million a month, mostly foreign subscribers. There are now 72 million Netflix subscribers in the US and Canada. That means 68 percent of subscribers do not live in North America. Generally speaking these subscribers are more liberal than those in North American. Racial, sexual, and migrant rights are of great interest. Thus we will see much much more "Woke" on Netflix as their offering will be slanted toward what the majority of their subscribers want to see and that is certainly not what American conservatives want to see.

If you're a conservative, Netflix is not the place to be. Hula which is 95% US subscribers would probably be more to your liking. Amazon Prime which has a more limited foreign base than Netflix should have less objectional material. Frndly TV has a strong conservatives offering with lots Hallmark Hall Fame material, game shows, and family sitcoms, etc....

No one wants to see woke content. THe idea that there is a burning desire to see "representation" on screen is a racist myth.

No one wants to see woke content. THe idea that there is a burning desire to see "representation" on screen is a racist myth.
You're saying people such as gay and lesbians, migrants, and people of color who have been treated poorly don't want see films about people like themselves. :cuckoo:

Research by Monash University, published in the Journal of Business Ethics, has found that movies with LGBT-inclusive representation significantly outperform those with no LGBT representation when it comes to box-office revenue.

For example" Rotten Tomatoes top 5 LGBT films that were very popular with LGBT audiences all made money:
Moonlight had $65 million dollar box office and 4 million dollar budget.
Call Me Your Name had 41 million dollar box and 3.4 miillion budget.
Portrait of a Lady on Fire 10 million box office 4.2 Euros budget
Booksmart grossed 22 million box office on 5.1 million budget
Pain and Glory grossed 53.1 million box office on 10 million budget.

Films about Blacks are immensely popular among blacks. 81% of Black adults said it was important for them personally to have more films and television shows starring Black actors, compared to 43% of white adults. For many years Black audiences watched all White movies because there were few good Black movies. Today Black audiences prefer motives with strong Black representation, particularly when they address the Black experience.

Netflix is listening to their audience by noting what they are watching. That audience is most foreign and contains a high percentage of minorities.

Last edited:
Research by Monash University, published in the Journal of Business Ethics, has found that movies with LGBT-inclusive representation significantly outperform those with no LGBT representation when it comes to box-office revenue.

For example" Rotten Tomatoes top 5 LGBT films that were very popular with LGBT audiences all made money:
Moonlight had $65 million dollar box office and 4 million dollar budget.
Call Me Your Name had 41 million dollar box and 3.4 miillion budget.
Portrait of a Lady on Fire 10 million box office 4.2 Euros budget
Booksmart grossed 22 million box office on 5.1 million budget
Pain and Glory grossed 53.1 million box office on 10 million budget.

Films about Blacks are immensely popular among blacks. 81% of Black adults said it was important for them personally to have more films and television shows starring Black actors, compared to 43% of white adults. For many years Black audiences watched all White movies because there were few good Black movies. Today Black audiences prefer motives with strong Black representation, particularly when they address the Black experience.

Netflix is listening to their audience by noting what they are watching. That audience is most foreign and contains a high percentage of minorities.

A good story is about human elements that all humans can relate to. I recall as a child watching Sandford adn Son. I was a young white boy, with very, very, very little experience with women, but I had no problem relating to Sandford, missing his departed wife.

I recall watching many, many fine tv or movie shows, with main character that had very different stars or casts then myself, and having no problem relating to them.

The idea that humans need to see people that look much like them, onscreen to enjoy a story, is the type of thing a newcomer to this planet would think.

A good story is about human elements that all humans can relate to. I recall as a child watching Sandford adn Son. I was a young white boy, with very, very, very little experience with women, but I had no problem relating to Sandford, missing his departed wife.

I recall watching many, many fine tv or movie shows, with main character that had very different stars or casts then myself, and having no problem relating to them.

The idea that humans need to see people that look much like them, onscreen to enjoy a story, is the type of thing a newcomer to this planet would think.

You're correct, actors don't need to look like their audience, they just need to connect with the audience but that was not what I was addressing. I was addressing the type of production for example, Black people living as most Black people in the world, in low to middle income communities with relatively high crime, working in low end jobs who deal with racial discrimination everyday. Movies that show their real world experiences are more likely to connect with Black audiences than stories with token Blacks in a White man's world. The same holds true for homosexual couple who want see their kind of love story, sex, and issues they face in their lives; certainly not just heterosexuals love affairs and sex and the acceptance that they don't have with their family and community. Storylines can be love stories, comedies, mysteries, crime thrillers, etc. However, to be most entertaining it needs to be set in a world like they live in or one they can easily relate to. That makes it much easier for audience to connect with the story and the characters.

Last edited:
Way too much foreign crap now. Some of them actually look interesting but I don't want to read subtitles, totally ruins the immersion. Britbox is probably one of better streaming services, tons of older non-woke series and movies in English.

You're correct, actors don't need to look like their audience, they just need to connect with the audience but that was not what I was addressing. I was addressing the type of production for example, Black people living as most Black people in the world, in low to middle income communities with relatively high crime, working in low end jobs who deal with racial discrimination everyday. Movies that show their real world experiences are more likely to connect with Black audiences than stories with token Blacks in a White man's world. The same holds true for homosexual couple who want see their kind of love story, sex, and issues they face in their lives; certainly not just heterosexuals love affairs and sex and the acceptance that they don't have with their family and community. Storylines can be love stories, comedies, mysteries, crime thrillers, etc. However, to be most entertaining it needs to be set in a world like they live in or one they can easily relate to. That makes it much easier for audience to connect with the story and the characters.

1. Blacks do not deal with discrimination everyday.

2. Woke movies tend to show homosexuals highly idealized, not the hot mess they actually are.

3. Stories need to be set in a world like they live in? Tell it to Avatar.

4. And you leave out the hateful messages in woke movies, about dividing people up and telling whites/men, that htey are bad, ect.

1. Blacks do not deal with discrimination everyday.

2. Woke movies tend to show homosexuals highly idealized, not the hot mess they actually are.

3. Stories need to be set in a world like they live in? Tell it to Avatar.

4. And you leave out the hateful messages in woke movies, about dividing people up and telling whites/men, that htey are bad, ect.
  • I asked a good friend of mind who is black about discrimination. I asked specifically do you feel like a victim of discrimination. He said absolutely not but I see it every day and I just ignore it because there is no other choice. I walk in a liquor store wearing old clothes, and the clerk assumes I’m there to rob the place. When I catch a crowded bus and take a seat, often the vacant seat beside me remains vacant although several white people are standing. A cop stopped me for running a stop sign which I did not do. I knew from experience, if you‘re black you do not protest, even when the police are doing something they should not be doing. It is always, Yes, sir and No, sir. Discrimination today is mostly covert and perfectly legal. A restaurant owner does not deny you entry, he just seats you in the back of the restaurant. The real estate agent does not refuse to show you homes in a white neighborhood, he just assumes you will want a house in a mostly black neighborhood.
  • Movies made for LGBT audiences like movies made for Black audiences are not typically idealized, unless it's a comedy. They incorporated Black or LGBT experiences. Movies that incorporate gays and blacks in movies aimed at all audiences are the ones that are idealize. For example the movie, “As Good as it Gets” with Jack Nicholson as an Obsessive Compulsive, Helen Hunt as working mother who can barely cope with a severely ill child, Greg Kinnear as Nicholson’s gay neighbor, and Cuba Gooding Jr. as Kinnear’s black boyfriend. This movie is about 4 minorities, a mental ill, man, a working mother with a severely ill child, a white gay man, and black gay man. All 4 are idealized to produce a very funny and touching movie. This is typically where you find idealized minority characters, movies made to attract all audiences.
  • ?
  • I don’t know what you mean by a woke movie. If a movie has gays in it does that make it a woke movie? What about blacks? When does a movie about Blacks become woke.

• I asked a good friend of mind who is black about discrimination. I asked specifically do you feel like a victim of discrimination. He said absolutely not but I see it every day and I just ignore it because there is no other choice. I walk in a liquor store wearing old clothes, and the clerk assumes I’m there to rob the place. When I catch a crowded bus and take a seat, often the vacant seat beside me remains vacant although several white people are standing. A cop stopped me for running a stop sign which I did not do. I knew from experience, if you‘re black you do not protest, even when the police are doing something they should not be doing. It is always, Yes, sir and No, sir. Discrimination today is mostly covert and perfectly legal. A restaurant owner does not deny you entry, he just seats you in the back of the restaurant. The real estate agent does not refuse to show you homes in a white neighborhood, he just assumes you will want a house in a mostly black neighborhood.
  • Movies made for LGBT audiences like movies made for Black audiences are not typically idealized, unless it's a comedy. They incorporated Black or LGBT experiences. Movies that incorporate gays and blacks in movies aimed at all audiences are the ones that are idealize. For example the movie, “As Good as it Gets” with Jack Nicholson as an Obsessive Compulsive, Helen Hunt as working mother who can barely cope with a severely ill child, Greg Kinnear as Nicholson’s gay neighbor, and Cuba Gooding Jr. as Kinnear’s black boyfriend. This movie is about 4 minorities, a mental ill, man, a working mother with a severely ill child, a white gay man, and black gay man. All 4 are idealized to produce a very funny and touching movie. This is typically where you find idealized minority characters, movies made to attract all audiences.
  • ?
  • I don’t know what you mean by a woke movie. If a movie has gays in it does that make it a woke movie? What about blacks? When does a movie about Blacks become woke.

1. It is the clerks job to watch everyone that comes in, as potential thieves. Your friend is seeing wacism, where there is none. Blacks do NOT deal with racism every day. What htey do deal with everyday, is constant race baiting propaganda, to try to make them angry and afraid.

2. In woke movies they lie about what those experiences are.

3. Avatar is the biggest movie of all time and was set in a fantasy world of giant blue aliens. Presented as evidence against your point that movies need to be set in "worlds like the one they live in" for people to relate.

4. Woke means full of hostile anti-white, and/or anti-male, propaganda, or full of pro-minority or gay propaganda. Also, likely to contain anti-america or anti-capitalists elements. Really, just ask yourself, could this movie be considered lib propaganda for the lib world view.

1. It is the clerks job to watch everyone that comes in, as potential thieves. Your friend is seeing wacism, where there is none. Blacks do NOT deal with racism every day. What htey do deal with everyday, is constant race baiting propaganda, to try to make them angry and afraid.

2. In woke movies they lie about what those experiences are.

3. Avatar is the biggest movie of all time and was set in a fantasy world of giant blue aliens. Presented as evidence against your point that movies need to be set in "worlds like the one they live in" for people to relate.

4. Woke means full of hostile anti-white, and/or anti-male, propaganda, or full of pro-minority or gay propaganda. Also, likely to contain anti-america or anti-capitalists elements. Really, just ask yourself, could this movie be considered lib propaganda for the lib world view.
Your definition is about what I thought, a woke movie is any movie about social agendas that conservatives disapprove, attacking racism, support for LGBT, exposing misogamy, treatment of migrants, treatment of homelessness, abortion, etc.

You might want to try a different streaming service because the Netflix of 10 years ago is far different than today. Foreign subscribers make up nearly 70% of Netflix and these subscribers are more liberal than Americans subscribers, particularly when it comes to social issues. They certainly do not share values of American conservatives. Netflix's goal is to add a million more a month so future officering are going to be even less to your likely.

Last edited:
Your definition is about what I thought, a woke movie is any movie about social agendas that conservatives disapprove, attacking racism, support for LGBT, exposing misogamy, treatment of migrants, treatment of homelessness, abortion, etc.

Flopper, 90% of what libs pretend to think is "racism", is not anything to do with actual racism. But the act of pretending it is, gives the libs in question the power to marginalize anyone or anything.

At the cost of, at the very least, pissing off everyone involved.

The rest of your list, is equally flawed. When talking to other people, don't try to frame your conclusion as a premise.

MISOGAMY is not a big issue in today's culture. What is, is MISANDRY. Which is a big pillar of woke shit.

ECT.

You might want to try a different streaming service because the Netflix of 10 years ago is far different than today. Foreign subscribers make up nearly 70% of Netflix and these subscribers are more liberal than Americans subscribers, particularly when it comes to social issues. They certainly do not share values of American conservatives. Netflix's goal is to add a million more a month so future officering are going to be even less to your likely.

I might. Even if I do, I will still be commenting on how woke content is crap, and why.

Netflix, like the comics industry is being ruined by college indoctrinated fools who are more motivated to "spread the message" then do their jobs.

Way too much foreign crap now. Some of them actually look interesting but I don't want to read subtitles, totally ruins the immersion.
That's too bad. You don't know what you are missing.

South Korea makes way better movies than Hollywood.

That's too bad. You don't know what you are missing.

South Korea makes way better movies than Hollywood.
I usually 'watch' shows while doing something else, it's more background entertainment. I can follow along with the sound. I simply don't want to be tied to reading subtitles. A few years ago I did a huge binge on foreign films and series with subtitles and you are correct, South Korea produces some great shows.

I usually 'watch' shows while doing something else, it's more background entertainment. I can follow along with the sound. I simply don't want to be tied to reading subtitles. A few years ago I did a huge binge on foreign films and series with subtitles and you are correct, South Korea produces some great shows.
I really hate subtitles, particular when there's lots of dialogue. It can be very distracting. You lose an essential part the performance, the actors delivery of their lines. Dubbing is not as distracting but dialog has to be changed to fit movements of the lips in closeups. Unfortunately, the entire sound track is usually stripped and a new one is created by an audio production company using voice actors which often leads to a discontinuity in scenes. I believe movies and series created in the native language of the audience with colloquialisms and mores of that culture are far better than adaptions via subtitles or dubbing.

Most of the new Netflix productions are dubbed in 3 or 4 languages. These productions are often done in countries where production cost is low such in Spain and eastern European countries. The settings are typical a generic city, neighborhood, or countryside that could be in any of a number of countries.

Since over 2/3 of current Netflix subscribers are outside the US now and plans are to add a million more every quarter, their offerings are going be less Americanize and more international.

Last edited:
How Netflix accepts material:

1. Is the main character a Negro? If yes accept, if no reject.

2. Are their queers in the story? If yes accept, if no reject.

3. Are the bad guys White Supremacist? If yes accept, if no reject.

4. Is the pretty White girl married to or have a boyirend that is a Negro? If yes accept, if no reject.

Added bonus for consideration. Does it mention that man made global warming is destroying the earth? If yes accept, if no reject?

How Netflix accepts material:

1. Is the main character a Negro? If yes accept, if no reject.

2. Are their queers in the story? If yes accept, if no reject.

3. Are the bad guys White Supremacist? If yes accept, if no reject.

4. Is the pretty White girl married to or have a boyirend that is a Negro? If yes accept, if no reject.

Added bonus for consideration. Does it mention that man made global warming is destroying the earth? If yes accept, if no reject?
The reason Netflix is moving in this direction is far more about their audiences than politics or ideology. Netflix's market is the world not the US.

The fact is most people in the world today do not favor entertainment created for straight white people. They want to see movies about people that they can more easily identify with. Thus most movies and TV series produced today and in the future will take into account that the audience is not just straight white Americans which are less than 2% of the world population. Racial and sexual bigotry is a popular subject abroad just as in the US so we should expect Netflix with continue to exploit this issue.

If you want to see movies and TV series made for white straight Americans, then you need to stick with classic US movies and TV made before the 1950s.

If you want to see movies and TV series made for white straight Americans, then you need to stick with classic US movies and TV made before the 1950s.
Or just not watch the stupid woke shit from Netflix. Which is what me and many others are doing now.

Entertainment is a commodity just like other things. If Netflix thinks their market are Negroes and queers and make productions to fill that market then fine. I'll pass on it.

Or just not watch the stupid woke shit from Netflix. Which is what me and many others are doing now.

Entertainment is a commodity just like other things. If Netflix thinks their market are Negroes and queers and make productions to fill that market then fine. I'll pass on it.
It is not just Netflix. Other streaming services are trying to go Global but they are limited by various factors. Amazon Prime is limited to a few dozen countries. Do to the stupid leasing agreements, Hula is about 98% US so it might be more to your liking. HBO Max is expanding into a number countries but it does have some limitations.

Netflix market is the world, 190 countries with 220 million subscribers. They like what you call woke because Netflix is adding about a million new subscribers every quarter. Providing entertainment that includes white, nonwhites, straights, LGBTQ, and various ethnicities is proving successful. Apparently they don't have your hang-ups over sex and race.

It is not just Netflix. Other streaming services are trying to go Global but they are limited by various factors. Amazon Prime is limited to a few dozen countries. Do to the stupid leasing agreements, Hula is about 98% US so it might be more to your liking. HBO Max is expanding into a number countries but it does have some limitations.

Netflix market is the world, 190 countries with 220 million subscribers. They like what you call woke because Netflix is adding about a million new subscribers every quarter. Providing entertainment that includes white, nonwhites, straights, LGBTQ, and various ethnicities is proving successful. Apparently they don't have your hang-ups over sex and race.
All of filthy ass Hollywood is going woke now and it is despicable.

If that is their marketing plan and expect to make money doing that then fine. I will not be contributing much to that.

Just like I don't spend money on Crack Whores.

Forum List

Back