How much of your success was because of Government? ....

driveby

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2008
It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

I'll be generous and say maybe 15% for me, what say you?

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

You're joking RIGHT---:lol::lol::lol: How much of my success is attributed to Government--I would be a lot more successful--if government would just get the hell out of the way.

after 9-11 my industry died. To make matters worse, our mayor offered tax breaks to companies who hired people through the city....completely putting my recruiting business to a stand still.

Furthermore, my application for a small business loan was never accepted or denied. To the contrary, they kept on asking me for more and more information to the point where I had to have my accountant deal with it. He cost me a lot of money for his time...and we STILL never got an answer.....here it is 10 years later and if I send them an email they will respond the same way they did for the first 3 years....we are reviewing your information and will get back to you in a timely manner. After 3 years of that, I stopped writing/emailing them.

SO as I see it...other than paving the roads so I can get to work...the government has actually hampered my ability to be successful.

after 9-11 my industry died. To make matters worse, our mayor offered tax breaks to companies who hired people through the city....completely putting my recruiting business to a stand still.

Furthermore, my application for a small business loan was never accepted or denied. To the contrary, they kept on asking me for more and more information to the point where I had to have my accountant deal with it. He cost me a lot of money for his time...and we STILL never got an answer.....here it is 10 years later and if I send them an email they will respond the same way they did for the first 3 years....we are reviewing your information and will get back to you in a timely manner. After 3 years of that, I stopped writing/emailing them.

SO as I see it...other than paving the roads so I can get to work...the government has actually hampered my ability to be successful.

So your success is your own imo, i wish they'd get off their high horses about roads, protection and all that nonsense, we already overpay for those "services". Where would these government hypocrites be without us? .....

I give the government a little bit of credit. As a corporate turnaround guy, with one of the businesses we approached the DoD and convinced them to buy our consumer product vs. the standard issue crap they'd been buying on government contracts for a similar but utterly outdated version of that type product that dated back to WW II days.

Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.

I give the government a little bit of credit. As a corporate turnaround guy, with one of the businesses we approached the DoD and convinced them to buy our consumer product vs. the standard issue crap they'd been buying on government contracts for a similar but utterly outdated version of that type product that dated back to WW II days.

Sounds like the government should be thanking you......

Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.

Well let's see.

Did the governmet provide all those things out of the kindness of their hearts or were these things paid for by tax payers working in the private sector?

Government has made much of life more convenient with the services provided and likely overpaid for at my expense and the expense of those that came before me.
Convenience is nice.
Waste is not.

Well , for the hubby he was in the navy but he was successful because his parents put a good work ethic on him and he advanced. I do not give the government to much of the credit. I think he would have succeeded on which ever career he chose.

Lets see...

Government schools, government funded medical research, safe food, safe drugs, safe water, no toxic chemicals in the air, roads, bridges, infrastructure, water systems, sewerage systems, the internet, safe communities, free comerce

No...I don't think the government helped me at all. I did it all on my own

Well now lets see.

Well let's see.

Did the governmet provide all those things out of the kindness of their hearts or were these things paid for by tax payers working in the private sector?

They were paid for by taxes from the private sector, obviously. That changes nothing though. The private sector never would have provided me with all those opportunities. The government did.

I would have to say alot, I served 7 years in the Air Force and I work for the Feds now as a civilian employee.

An honorable path indeed, but i'll venture to say you could have still been successful had you chosen a different path that was unrelated to the government.

Well I attended state funded schools for 12 years then 2 years at a state funded votech school.

I would think that the govt was very helpful in getting me started for the job market.
Plus I had govt funded polio and other immunizations at school.

I would have to say alot, I served 7 years in the Air Force and I work for the Feds now as a civilian employee.

An honorable path indeed, but i'll venture to say you could have still been successful had you chosen a different path that was unrelated to the government.

Its probably true, although the Military really helped me figure out alot of stuff about life in general especially in my first enlistment which was my best time in the service.

Well , for the hubby he was in the navy but he was successful because his parents put a good work ethic on him and he advanced. I do not give the government to much of the credit. I think he would have succeeded on which ever career he chose.

Did the navy train him? Pay him? Pay for your medical care?

Did he work for a private Navy?

Forum List

Back