How much better would be with Romney?

Pickle

Oct 31, 2013
in a jar
I know it's only a year into it, but that's plenty of time to get some policies in place and maybe other policies wouldn't have been enacted.

Using real data and Romney's plans to make your point, can someone please tell me how much better off the US would be at this very moment had Romney won the election?

Are you referring to the US in the Cayman Islands or the US with the jobs he said weren't coming back?

Seriously, probably not a whit.

However we probably wouldn't be getting as many belly laughs from adolescent pranks at funerals and the like.

Romney certainly was Obama-lite but he did show a modicum of class.

No better, in my opinion. Even many Republicans and Democrats in 2012 were referring to their own nominees as the "lesser of two evils". Both parties have been voting against their own interests for decades now, and it doesn't look as if that trend is ending any time soon.

No better, in my opinion. Even many Republicans and Democrats in 2012 were referring to their own nominees as the "lesser of two evils". Both parties have been voting against their own interests for decades now, and it doesn't look as if that trend is ending any time soon.

Folks years ago lost sight of the simple fact that voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still approving evil.

The last thing they said before they heard "off with their heads" was "let them eat cake".

Romney had said that the first thing he would do, was issue 50-state waviers to allow states to opt out of Obamacare if they wanted.

And they all would want to, especially after "passing the bill to find out what was in it".

Also a pretty good chance he would have elected not to fight the Supreme Court cases against the mandate, and against forcing people to violate their religions, etc. So the Court probably would have made quick work of Obamacare.

It's VERY unlikely Romney would have OK'ed the lawyers to insist to the Supreme Court, that the penalties called for in the mandate, weren't penalties but taxes... after the only way the bill had passed Congress was by insisting it had no taxes.

Basically, Obamacare would have died a timely death, after going into a coma. And then employers could be a lot more sure of what expenses they faced for the next years (nobody can be 100% sure, but employers would have been al lot better than they have been now), instead of having an out-of-control Fed govt constantly showing new rules and taxes and mandates at them from every direction. And they might have even been confident enough to HIRE some people, instead of letting millions quit the work force altogether as Obama is causing.

And people actually COULD keep their doctors and the insurance plans they liked. And they wouldn't have to listen to a crowd of slavering liberals telling them the plans they had had for years, were suddenly "junk plans".

We might even have ANSWERS by now, on questions about who gave the order to stop the rescue attempt for our guys in Benghazi; who authorized the IRS to hold up applications for tax exemptions for liberal groups, who authorized the govt to build huge databases in violation of the 4th amendment etc.

That's just for starters.

Last edited:
I know it's only a year into it, but that's plenty of time to get some policies in place and maybe other policies wouldn't have been enacted.

Using real data and Romney's plans to make your point, can someone please tell me how much better off the US would be at this very moment had Romney won the election?

We might be better off right now with Romney, because as soon as he took office, Republicans would pass all the job-creating bills that Obama and the Democrats have been trying to pass.

They would come up with a huge stimulus, pass infrastructure bills, get construction and housing going again.

They would just lie their asses off about it, and say they were always for it.

There is no real way to prove anything would be different at all so what is the point? TBH, I don’t think there would be much of a difference anyway. The senate would have held Obamacare in place and most of the same policies that we have no would still be in place.

One major difference that I think is rather obvious is that the senate would NOT have changed the rules like they did. I would consider that a plus but not really due to Romney but rather due to politics.

Honestly, it wouldn't even matter. Democracy in this country and the two-party system are a facade created to give the illusion that the people have a say. Considering that Congress has been bought and paid for by corporations and banking cartels to pass private legislation to protects their interests, your question is irrelevant.

Honestly, it wouldn't even matter. Democracy in this country and the two-party system are a facade created to give the illusion that the people have a say. Considering that Congress has been bought and paid for by corporations and banking cartels to pass private legislation to protects their interests, your question is irrelevant.

That hackneyed old nonsense is pointless, whiny bullshit. Get some new material.

That hackneyed old nonsense is pointless, whiny bullshit. Get some new material.

Even though both parties continuously invite Wall Street CEOs to run the government?
There obviously has to be SOME ideology involved.

Kind of irrelevant question don't you think especially given Congress stayed the same most likely anything Romney could have gotten through the House would have died in the Senate.

If Romney had been elected in 2008, we would have been worlds better. He would have overseen a robust recovery. Can blame Huckabee's supporters for hating Romney so much that they would help the least conservative candidate win the nomination when they saw Huckabee couldn't do it.

I don't know how much better we might be if he had won in 2012. Obama had already done so much damage, Romney would have had to be careful not to make things worse. It would have been tricky no matter what. But Obamacare could have been quickly stopped by executive order if Romney was willing to follow Obama's example and disregard what the law actually said. And without all those disincentives to full employment, there would likely have been at least slightly faster improvement on the employment front.

Kind of irrelevant question don't you think especially given Congress stayed the same most likely anything Romney could have gotten through the House would have died in the Senate.

If Romney had won, good chance the wave which elected him would have flipped the Senate.

That's a little scary to me as a fan of gridlock. I am opposed to a lot of change in a short space of time, so it would have been good to have something to counteract the tendency of the House to make a hard lurch to the right.

If Romney had been elected in 2008, we would have been worlds better. He would have overseen a robust recovery. Can blame Huckabee's supporters for hating Romney so much that they would help the least conservative candidate win the nomination when they saw Huckabee couldn't do it.

I don't know how much better we might be if he had won in 2012. Obama had already done so much damage, Romney would have had to be careful not to make things worse. It would have been tricky no matter what. But Obamacare could have been quickly stopped by executive order if Romney was willing to follow Obama's example and disregard what the law actually said. And without all those disincentives to full employment, there would likely have been at least slightly faster improvement on the employment front.

The DOW hovers around 1600 and no one I know with a 20+ year old 401K plan is complaining.

The DOW hovers around 1600 and no one I know with a 20+ year old 401K plan is complaining.

Yeah, the people with secure jobs aren't complaining.

Imagine that.

Forum List

Back