How many military families are on food stamps?

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
I don't think I can Google this in five minutes.
I would like some honest help.
I think there are more veterans on food stamps.
What is the honest answer?
Does anyone want to fact check?

about 1 million vets
about 5000 active duty from one article I looked at....

Last edited:
Everytime I see a bumpersticker that reads "I support our troops" and the person is a Republican, I just wanna vomit. If you really support the troops doesn't cutting food stamps and other benefits seem oxymoronic? And when 1 in 3 homeless people are veterans, the compassion displayed by the GOP just makes me all warm and tingly. (intense sarcasm.)

They have done it after every war they cheered in my entire life time.

support the troops?

they only do it with words while the war they cheer makes them political points.

they cut vets stuff after EVERY war they insist on waging

Everytime I see a bumpersticker that reads "I support our troops" and the person is a Republican, I just wanna vomit. If you really support the troops doesn't cutting food stamps and other benefits seem oxymoronic? And when 1 in 3 homeless people are veterans, the compassion displayed by the GOP just makes me all warm and tingly. (intense sarcasm.)

???

Dear Delta4 and TruthMatters:
Wow. On my boyfriend's radio talk show, they are blaming these cuts on the Obama Administration and Democrats in Congress!

Which way is it?

Is it that both parties blame each other for political points, and NEITHER is fixing the problem?
The Democrats also blamed Bush for Iraqi War spending but did nothing to recoup the costs on contested contracts. Couldn't the money wasted on
war contract fraud or Veteran donations/benefits fraud easily fund help for our Veterans? Who is going after that? Anyone?

That is what I figured out is why the national historic district I live in CAN'T get officials from ANY side, level or party to FUND the VET HOUSING complex and plans for preserving the last set of historic rowhouses for Veteran home health care.

Politicians are too busy blaming each other to compete for office.
Wasting campaign fundraising and dollars to fight each other while our troops go without housing, jobs and support -- even though these solutions have been written up in federal legislation,
in grant proposals and budgets, submitted to the VA and other sources for funding.

I guess the only way NOT to be a hypocrite is to raise the money myself.
Me as a Democrat (Asian) and the author of the Vet Housing plan as a Republican (Black). We also both happen to be women, which may make a difference in working across political lines
on common solutions, which I don't see our elected leaders doing.

It seems this system of "patriarchal politics" just gears itself to paying to fight one side against the other, either/or, instead of investing in collaborative diplomatic solutions.

I guess it is time to rise above this system that wastes too many resources, doesn't resolve problems, and creates more debts and costs instead of generating jobs based on solutions.
===================================================================
BTW Thanks for the OP about the 1 million Vets on food stamps.

I guess I will base the fundraising campaign on that, to buy the lots in our distict for building a campus for Vets to generate their own revenue and financial systems to fund their own health care and retirement, by everyone chipping in 10 buck for each of the 1 million Vets on public assistance. Whoever these 1 million are, this project will be for you!

See Freedmen's Town Historic Churches and Vet Housing with Vet Housing plans by Gladys House (and I am helping put together a business plan with microdonations and loans for a national fundraising campaign to buy the land to build a campus under a proposal to fulfill White House initiatives by combining African American historic education with Vet assistance)

Last edited:
Before anyone could reasonably expect combat veterans returning from a deployment to be able to fend for themselves, they need a bunch of psychological counselling. Can't just expect them to adapt from all the military conditioning enabling them to take life and function in combat, then switch instantly back to civilian life without a helluva lot of assistance. Personally think a 2 for 1 exchange ratio of full government support for every year combat-deployed is a start. Government pays for everything for a returning veteran to help them readjust to civilian life. And not just the bare minimum but a comfortable existence.

Before anyone could reasonably expect combat veterans returning from a deployment to be able to fend for themselves, they need a bunch of psychological counselling. Can't just expect them to adapt from all the military conditioning enabling them to take life and function in combat, then switch instantly back to civilian life without a helluva lot of assistance. Personally think a 2 for 1 exchange ratio of full government support for every year combat-deployed is a start. Government pays for everything for a returning veteran to help them readjust to civilian life. And not just the bare minimum but a comfortable existence.

Ok, and would you support funding that by withholding or reducing welfare currently being given to able-bodied people who have never served?

Pay Grade Years of Service
Less than 2 Over 2 Over 3 Over 4 Over 6
E-7 2752 3004 3119 3272 3391
E-6 2381 2620 2735 2848 2965
E-5 2181 2327 2440 2555 2735
E-4 2000 2102 2216 2328 2427
E-3 1805 1919 2035 2035 2035
E-2 1717 1717 1717 1717 1717
E-1 1532 1532 1532 1532 1532
E-1 Less than
4 months 1417

Keep in mind that no one remains an E-1 after training. and most are an E3 within 18 months.

Now if they are single they don't pay for housing or food.

If they are married they get a basic alliance for quarters and Basic allowance for subsistence. (Both are tax exempt)

There should be very very few on food stamps........

When I was a LCpl in 1999 and we had our first child we were on WIC for about a year. Felt lucky and blessed to have it, but was kind of embarrased to use it at the commissary.

Military pay has gone WAY up since then, I could see some families just starting out needing a little help but for the most part us in the military make a very good and decent living compared to a lot of people.

Deployments, PTSD, and high op-tempo's of course make the job very difficult but its also very rewarding.

When the military gets a pay raise, it's across the board - same percentage for all ranks. Because the housing and food allowances are not taxed, those have historically been the places where most of that raise gets put.

Unlike civilian companies, the military has a clear expectation of promotions to higher rank with time - it gets harder and takes longer to get from E-6 to E-7, etc. Which is why the average retiree is an E-7 with 20 years' service.....

Ok, and would you support funding that by withholding or reducing welfare currently being given to able-bodied people who have never served?

If we weren't sending our military all over the planet to be mercenaries for third world sheikhs and tyrants this actually wouldn't be much of a problem.

about 1 million vets on food stamps?
I thought the Military was a good place to get a education and job experience that helps the vet find a job in the civilian world...... You mean the government lied to us again?

Take a look at the benefits before you condemn the system. I know many who have used their benefits and acquired the requisite skills and knowledge to enjoy a career and nice life after military service.

Veterans Benefits Administration Home

Benefits

Compensation
Education & Training
Life Insurance
Pension
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment

If we weren't sending our military all over the planet to be mercenaries for third world sheikhs and tyrants this actually wouldn't be much of a problem.

Your herring is red.

If some folks could READ.
The OP is talking about active military personnel and families on food stamps.
I think Ollie and Unkatore was the only person in the thread that addressed this.
The rest was the usual rhetoric about vets.

Not a lot of money but for a Private E1 in the Army with less than 2 years experience the base Pay is $18,194. Remember this does not include bonuses, allowances and other benefits. So with room board and uniform provided..... Why the food stamps? This is a hell of a lot more than I was making when I was in.

Army Base Pay and Basic Pay Chart | goarmy.com

Exactly - It doesn't even make sense. How could an active single enlisted be on food stamps?
100% of their expenses are paid while on duty.

New Topics

Forum List

Back