How Many Here Support An Actual Postcard Tax Return?

Do You Support A True Postcard Tax Return?

• Yes, sign me up!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, I like complicated tax returns

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Squirrel!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Would you support an individual tax return which asked for your gross income and then a table on the back of the card shows what bracket you fall in and how much you owe?

I've heard some politicians promise that if they were president, they would enact a postcard tax return. Ted Cruz, in particular.

Cruz always got a big cheer when he said he would abolish the IRS. But if there is no IRS, who would collect the income tax from your postcard tax return, Ted?

I'm not sure people understand the full implications of a postcard tax return. That means no line to deduct your energy-saving refrigerator or your solar panels or your mortgage. No line to get credit for your offspring.

It does have fewer lines, 23. The current 1040 form has 79. But people will still be required to file several pages of worksheets if they wish to itemize deductions.

Would you support an individual tax return which asked for your gross income and then a table on the back of the card shows what bracket you fall in and how much you owe?

I've heard some politicians promise that if they were president, they would enact a postcard tax return. Ted Cruz, in particular.

Cruz always got a big cheer when he said he would abolish the IRS. But if there is no IRS, who would collect the income tax from your postcard tax return, Ted?

I'm not sure people understand the full implications of a postcard tax return. That means no line to deduct your energy-saving refrigerator or your solar panels or your mortgage. No line to get credit for your offspring.

It does have fewer lines, 23. The current 1040 form has 79. But people will still be required to file several pages of worksheets if they wish to itemize deductions.

The gubmint makes enough money to run the gubmint without any taxes. They did it before and they can do it again with custom fees on imports. The gubmint does nothing the states couldn't do except make politicians rich. Income tax is a goddam scam.

I'm in for the concept. Probably would still "file" online rather than use a post card.

This would put lots of tax accountants and tax lawyers out of work. There would still be a need for the IRS to enforce tax collection, but it could be scaled way down. Also, this would take away a tool that the government uses to manipulate people -- no more tax breaks for those the do things the government likes.

If we do away with all credits and deductions as we should, there would actually be no reason for most people to even need to file a return. They already know how much I made and how much I paid. They can send out checks/bills without most people needed to file anything if they wished to.

Forum List

Back