How many friends do you have?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
I've read an interesting statistics some time ago, which showed, that the older you get the fewer friends you have. It was like ages 0-10 have ~20 friends, ages 10-20 have ~10 friends, ages 20-30 have ~5 friends, ages 30-40 have ~2 friends, 50-60 have ~1 friend, and 60+ have 0 friends.

Also, in my observation, there are 4 or so old (50+) people in the building and none of them have friends.

What is the secret? Why does life work better if you have no friends?

Last edited:
I still keep in touch with some childhood friends. College friends as well. Most of my close friends now are work colleagues, neighbors and friends from church.

Maybe as people age, they don't have the same drive to run around or do the goofy stuff they did when they were 25 and single. I have... three? ... close friends and we don't hang out like we did when we were young. We still get together, but more for a quiet evening and not for a weekend of booze, music and wild times.

Maybe as people age, they don't have the same drive to run around or do the goofy stuff they did when they were 25 and single. I have... three? ... close friends and we don't hang out like we did when we were young. We still get together, but more for a quiet evening and not for a weekend of booze, music and wild times.
Or maybe as people age, their friends die. Or finally wonder why they were their friends to begin with.

Well that scientific study is effed up already because 60 is the new 40 and 40 is the new 30, etc., etc...

Depends on personal preference, circumstance and a variety of other factors IMO. Age is not solely determinative of whether a person has friends or not or how many.

I've read an interesting statistics some time ago, which showed, that the older you get the fewer friends you have. It was like ages 0-10 have ~20 friends, ages 10-20 have ~10 friends, ages 20-30 have ~5 friends, ages 30-40 have ~2 friends, 50-60 have ~1 friend, and 60+ have 0 friends.

Also, in my observation, there are 4 or so old (50+) people in the building and none of them have friends.

Would think as we get older, how we define 'friend' changes and the bar is set higher and higher. Definitely the case for me as I consider friends those I'd risk or even forfeit my life for. I've risked my life for strangers, but I wouldn't say I'd throw it away completely. Whereas, those I've loved and do love, since we're all gonna die anyway someday, if surrending mine so they can live, that's a pretty great way to go out.

Would think as we get older, how we define 'friend' changes and the bar is set higher and higher. Definitely the case for me as I consider friends those I'd risk or even forfeit my life for. I've risked my life for strangers, but I wouldn't say I'd throw it away completely. Whereas, those I've loved and do love, since we're all gonna die anyway someday, if surrending mine so they can live, that's a pretty great way to go out.

Bingo.

I had most friends as a teenager. But like everyone, you learn most of them are not really your friend.
I think you have fewer friends as you get older because you are wise enough to avoid people who are assholes and not worth your time.
Right now I have 2 good friends, handful of people I get along with well at work that I consider friends..and 3 or 4 in cyber space that I have spoke with on the phone but never met in person.

my grandfather 71 years old has 279 friends at Facebook

Last edited:

I have always wanted few friends. One or two, close friends. I have many acquaintances who seem to like being around me when I let them...lol.

"A friend to all is a friend to none."....Aristotle... :thup:

Define friend. I have around 10 friends worldwide who will open their homes to me and my family at a moments notice. I have another 30 friends worldwide who will go out of their way to spend time with us if we are not able to get to them, within around 100 miles give or take.

I have many, many acquaintances. Friend is a very strong term to me.

my grandfather 71 years old has 279 friends at Facebook

And of those he knows the last name, street address, and phone number of how many? :) That's the point. Online "friends" aren't friends.

No, they aren't. I have learned that the hard way. One can call them friends, but it is only blue-sky and it takes knowing someone in person, to develop a relationship or friendship.The only thing a message-board or an online dating site can do is jump-start a potential relationship.

Thanks to you all for the VERY interesting responses. Looks like the zero friend is not a reality to anyone. Can it be that if you have zero friends then you get attacked physically? ... Come to think of it, the seemingly friend-less oldies that I know haven't been attacked though. ... What a mystery. ... Maybe when you only have 1 or 2 left, then you start to cling to each other tightly, to ensure survival? ... A real mystery. :)

In real life no friends.... but online many good friends with whom i talk everyday n could go to them with any problem i have

Many online acquaintences that I call "friends" but in essence are just folks I met and like. Friends? No no...that word means too much to me. Having a real friend takes work. It's a lifetime responsibility, like getting a dog. I have met many "friends" with social media...but true friends with the word firmly attached? 2 in real life.

My sister in law calls everyone friend. My friend this, my friend that. I ask her how long she has known this person and she says " I met them last night while kareoke'ing". Really. So. You lose your house, you are ill, you are on the street. This friend will let you move in with them until you get on your feet? Make you a bowl of soup if you are hungry? Wipe your brow if you are ill?"
No answer. Of course there is no answer. She has no clue if they would do any of these things. Yet she calls them her friend.

I don't get it how that word can be used so lightly.

Forum List

Back