How many African-Americans were killed in WWI?

TheGreenHornet

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2017
I have done several seeches on the subject but unable to obtain the official stats on the death of Black Soldiers in WWI.......I found several articles on black particiption in the Greart war....their units etc. but unable to find how many died in combat?

They were just not keeping records that way back then.

I looked, but did not find a single breakdown of casualties in WWI by race.

But I guess you can look at "Soldiers of the Great Wat", 1920. It includes photographs of most of those killed in the war, I guess you can browse through it and count them.

I found many, but at over 450 pages I was not going through the entire volume.

I have done several seeches on the subject but unable to obtain the official stats on the death of Black Soldiers in WWI.......I found several articles on black particiption in the Greart war....their units etc. but unable to find how many died in combat?

The only black combatants I know of are some French colonial units that served commendably in several key battles. The Brits had some too, Nigerians.

Just ignore the bullshit editorializing and spin at the link; most Africans were better off under European administration than under their own corrupt dictators. A couple of exceptions don't disprove that fact.

The only black combatants I know of are some French colonial units that served commendably in several key battles. The Brits had some too, Nigerians.

Just ignore the bullshit editorializing and spin at the link; most Africans were better off under European administration than under their own corrupt dictators. A couple of exceptions don't disprove that fact.

And why should they. The heroes that died in that war from this country were AMERICANS. Americans should not be counted by their ethnicity but by their nationality. To do otherwise is just an attempt to divide the country and a house divided CANNOT stand.
Funny things is, in 1918-19 Black Americans weren't considered part of our country.

American black soldiers were used for support and logistics during WWi
They mainly were used as manual labor, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks. Only a tiny number, if any, were assigned to combat units. ... :cool:

Last edited:

Excellent article, Coyote. Thanks.

They mainly were used as manual labor, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks. Only a tiny number, if any, were assigned to combat units. ... :cool:

There were 2 divisions that were totally black. They lost 1,647 and 3,547 men in combat, respectively.

And the men serving in manual labor jobs, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks were still in the US Army and still serving in the war.

And why should they. The heroes that died in that war from this country were AMERICANS. Americans should not be counted by their ethnicity but by their nationality. To do otherwise is just an attempt to divide the country and a house divided CANNOT stand.
Funny things is, in 1918-19 Black Americans weren't considered part of our country.

Thank you. Those black men who served were heros, like all who served their country. The saddest part if that their country did them a huge disservice.

There were 2 divisions that were totally black. They lost 1,647 and 3,547 men in combat, respectively.

And the men serving in manual labor jobs, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks were still in the US Army and still serving in the war.

Where is your link or what is your sources for the info.

The link Coyote posted. Interesting article on black soldiers in WWI.

But I guess you can look at "Soldiers of the Great Wat", 1920. It includes photographs of most of those killed in the war, I guess you can browse through it and count them.

Rather strange....the statistics for black deaths are not available for WW One?

Last edited:

She was off topic....I reported her. The topic is how many blacks were killed in WWI.

Rather strange....the statistics for black deaths are available for WWII

WWI was run differently. By the time WWII came along, black soldiers were serving alongside white soldiers.

Excellent article, Coyote. Thanks.
The link would not work for me.

She was off topic....I reported her. The topic is how many blacks were killed in WWI.

In post #6? All she posted was a link to an article about blacks serving in WWI.

Forum List

Back