How long can you survive without food?

IRA prisoners in the 1980s refused to eat as a protest against criminalisation.
Some of them survived for 50 plus days and then died. Ten in total.
In other words they drank water but ate nothing. Some of them starved for 50 days, then fell into a coma, and were then forced fed via a pipe.
In the 1940's some IRA prisoners refused food and water and died pretty damn quick. 4 or 5 days.
If you have fresh water you may live for 60 days if you are young and fit. but your body will be dying and decaying within.

I get dizzy after skipping eats for about 24 hours. How do you guys do it?

I don't know how long. I have never tried.

Don't try it. It just makes you hungry and grumpy.

To really fast, you have to prepare. You need to flush your body out, go on a transition diet first, then break the fast properly. You want your first meal after fasting to go through you quickly. I went 5 days without food once. You reach a point where you stop being hungry, but your body has to be CLEAN.

To really fast, you have to prepare. You need to flush your body out, go on a transition diet first, then break the fast properly. You want your first meal after fasting to go through you quickly. I went 5 days without food once. You reach a point where you stop being hungry, but your body has to be CLEAN.

Ok. As long as I can smoke and drink while I'm fasting.

Ok. As long as I can smoke and drink while I'm fasting.

Nope. That would be the worst thing you can do. Strictly water only. Life is hell.

Usually it is taught that people can survive without food for 3 weeks. But is most texts, where extreme fasting almost starvation is described, it is always 40 days. So, how long can humans survive without food?

For e ample Jesus went without food in the desert for 40 days. Buddha too fasted for 40 days before he got his grain of rice to save him. And I think Mohamed has a 40 day fasting scripture too. So what is the real number?

How long can people survive without food?
Trumpsters don't need food at all. They can survive indefinitely without food or water - if their faith is pure.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder how long a person can go without pooping

Gruesome memory you just brought back.

Fella who lived near me back in about 1952 had a blockage he refused to have dreated (true story). It got so painful after a couple of weeks that his son-in-law called the ambulance (there was only one in the town) and carted him off to the hospital - about 12 miles away. There was a nasty bump as one got onto the bridge at the edge of town.

It got loose.

No, I don't mean the bump.

The damage had been done and he died a day or two later in the hospital.

It took the better part of a day to clean the ambulance but it never got really clean and was replaced a few months later.

Can't say that two weeks is any kind of average......

Forum List

Back