How liberal are public schools? This liberal.

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Today, my daughter came home from school (10th grade, public) and told me about two things that happened recently. Gee, do ya think that liberal social views are being made part of her education? It's not just transsexuals in NY schools, folks.

First, the school recently observed a moment of silence "in honor of gay pride". This non-educational activity was part of the morning announcements.

Second, when we discusssed her classes (which we do every day), she told me that they read and discussed a short story in English class about Viet Nam. Okay so far, so good, on that one, but here's the gist of the story:

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more courageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more corageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.

Written by a Lt Watada? :D

I learned from my 9th grade son that we no longer have BC and AD, in favor of BCE and CE (Before Common Era and Common Era). Anything to take Christ out of schools, right? So I told him that as far as we are concerned the new acronyms stand for Before Christ Existed and Christ Exists. :mm:

The same teacher has opined that Howard Zinn (A People's History of the United States) is the most important historian that ever walked the earth.

Today, my daughter came home from school (10th grade, public) and told me about two things that happened recently. Gee, do ya think that liberal social views are being made part of her education? It's not just transsexuals in NY schools, folks.

First, the school recently observed a moment of silence "in honor of gay pride". This non-educational activity was part of the morning announcements.

Second, when we discusssed her classes (which we do every day), she told me that they read and discussed a short story in English class about Viet Nam. Okay so far, so good, on that one, but here's the gist of the story:

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more corageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.
We have a whole day of silence for gay pride. But the Vietnam story is just to showcase one side of the story. That's my opinion. I went to Catholic school, so we had none of this :p

We have a whole day of silence for gay pride. But the Vietnam story is just to showcase one side of the story. That's my opinion. I went to Catholic school, so we had none of this :p

Right, the Catholic Church teaches that 'practicing homosexuality' is wrong. On the other hand, did you notice the date that Abbey's daughter's school decided to give the moment of silence? :coffee3: Seems there might have been a more inclusive use of that silence...

A whole day, huh? Unbelievable.

As for your theory that they are just showcasing one side of the VN story, they are not covering a story to showcase the other side. See?

Right, the Catholic Church teaches that 'practicing homosexuality' is wrong. On the other hand, did you notice the date that Abbey's daughter's school decided to give the moment of silence? :coffee3: Seems there might have been a more inclusive use of that silence...
Thanks, but I can read what she said. I didn't miss the date of posting. I merely said that there is a day of silence.

And I agree that a more inclusive use could've been made with the silence.

I'm all for Day of Silence stuff, but there is little reason in my mind as to why you would announce it in the morning announcements / create a 'moment of silence,' especially in a public school. DoS is supposed to be a personal thing that the kids participate in because they want to, not because its a school activity.

And in regards to the VN story... I don't really see what is wrong with reading it; I'm sure there will be a student who wants to talk about 'both sides of the story.' Now if the teacher just ignored the 'other side' and wouldn't let students talk about it, then that's obviously biased against 'the other side.' But the simple act of reading a book in an English class that details a certain aspect of a Vietnam vet's service doesn't raise any red flags in my mind, no matter the book's content.

Why would a public school even come up with a moment of silence for gay pride?

What was the context?

A young man of that era decides he doesn't believe in the war, and wants to be a conscientous objector. But he feels that would be embarassing to admit to in front of his friends and family, so off he goes to Viet Nam anyway. He eventually comes to the conclusion that it would have been "more courageous" to be an objector, than to actually fight and risk his life in Viet Nam.

WOW! Home school, private school time?

Maybe it was to remember all the poor souls languishing in Hell.

Since hell is typically a Christian concept, and it's a public school, I highly doubt that was the reason. Though of course I also wouldn't have expected a public school to officially have a moment of silence for gay pride, either. Contradictions abound, it seems.

Since hell is typically a Christian concept, and it's a public school, I highly doubt that was the reason. Though of course I also wouldn't have expected a public school to officially have a moment of silence for gay pride, either. Contradictions abound, it seems.

While I would never put anything past a public school, I am finding it very hard to believe there was a moment of silence for gay pride. Sorry. I just don't buy it.

While I would never put anything past a public school, I am finding it very hard to believe there was a moment of silence for gay pride. Sorry. I just don't buy it.

I don't know whether or not the public school did have a moment of silence for gay pride - all I know is that some private schools participate in the Day of Silence and that public schools probably shouldn't. Public schools, in my definition, are for learning and little else.

I don't know whether or not the public school did have a moment of silence for gay pride - all I know is that some private schools participate in the Day of Silence and that public schools probably shouldn't. Public schools, in my definition, are for learning and little else.

I agree. Except I'd say "learning and nothing else".

Phys Ed should be outlawed.

And every gym teacher should be sentenced to every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1:20 to 2:35 in Hell.

Forum List

Back